2023 Fall Ball | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Fall Ball

i could say something about this but there prob will be people here who dont want to hear it. long story short they are not going to just start dominating canadian recruiting because gait is the head coach

I'm going to assume its that Gait isn't putting in the time or energy? Funny thing is I think there are lots of people who do come on here to hear doom and gloom! I think we are all adults here (I hope so at least). In the imortal of words of Kevin McCarthy, bring it on.

I don't expect them to dominate Canada, though March likes to have Canadians on the team, and Spallina specifically spent his entire summer up in Canada so he could fit in with his teammates better. I have to imagine it is a point of emphasis.

No they won’t start dominating Canadian recruiting because of Gait even though they need to and he was way off saying Syracuse hasn’t heavily recruited Canada since his era. If anything Syracuse has increased its footprint in Canada in the last 15 years. The cold hard truth is Syracuse is not going to attract elite prep school kids from anywhere including Canada ala The Hill Academy nor any other prep school unless those kids are going to prep school with the sole intention of getting their grades high enough to play lacrosse at Syracuse IE Bucktooth Keogh Voigt etc etc. Unless your wanting to goto Newhouse recruits from prep schools will pick the ivies Duke Notre Dame and UVA.The only real recruiting advantage Syracuse has is with Native American players or maybe with kids that want to play high level lacrosse but maybe don’t have the grades or the means to goto the high end schools. The real truth is Desko was righting the ship with recruiting he brought in March he was visiting recruits Spallina came here because of Desko . Unfortunately he failed to research Scanlan’s off field antics at Loyola and it definitely bit him in the butt. It’s odd to hear Gait talk about not recruiting players from non hotbed areas because he made a living recruiting non hotbed areas especially Florida and Texas with the women’s team. I am 100 percent In support of Gait I like his offense I think he will have success but the landscape has forever changed the days of never rebuilding but reloading are GONE

I think gaits right. Folks like talking about the Oregon kids. The top hs’s in New England, LI, and Maryland put out that many kids in a cycle. Kids like Handley and Dordevic ( two kids who ultimately haven’t won anything) are an exception and not a rule. Notre Dame just won the title being led by a LI attack, a LI goalie, and key defensive and middie transfers from Jersey.

You have four coaches, limited budgets, and limited schollies, you drop you drop a line where there are the most fish.

I don’t think this class is bad or down. I think it’s a function of losing a top recruiter pretty late in the game, having a bloated roster, and having a lot of money tied up.

They’re gonna be behind ND, Duke, and uva for awhile. Kids (their parents) just want those business degrees and alumni networks. UNC has cheap tuition and lots of unsettled positions.

Our 22 class was top notch. Our 23 class, when you factor in the transfers, is as well. If the defense can improve, we’ll have talent that can compete with anyone at every position. Play fast and loose, win some games, and the recruits will come.

I think Gait is actually putting in the work with Canadian recruits. He spends a lot of time at OJLL he is now the U-20 Canadian national team coach. The problem is many of those kids are prep school kids looking at the same schools US prep school kids are looking at. Then you have the kids who just want to play lacrosse so they turn pro where would Syracuse be had Austin Staats come for a couple years plenty other like him as well

I think Gait is actually putting in the work with Canadian recruits. He spends a lot of time at OJLL he is now the U-20 Canadian national team coach. The problem is many of those kids are prep school kids looking at the same schools US prep school kids are looking at. Then you have the kids who just want to play lacrosse so they turn pro where would Syracuse be had Austin Staats come for a couple years plenty other like him as well
I’ve seen people mention that Gait coaching the U20s would be a benefit to recruiting but aren’t the majority of those kids already in college? This roster is all college kids:

I’d think U19 or U17 would be more beneficial, right?

It use to be the U-19 I remember Joel White and Josh Amidon playing in Coquitlum back in 2008 as freshman going into their sophomore year. I think the try out process and being involved will get him around recruiting age Canadian players. Your point is very valid that coaching the younger players might be more beneficial

Probably means nothing (or does it?). Notre Adam’s without either Kavanagh I believe. Also Hopkins only won by a couple against Lehigh in a downpour yesterday on Long Island.

fall scores mean less than nothing. they can be actively misleading. one team will be playing their starting lineup the whole time while the other plays 2nd/3rd string to evaluate what they have. some teams are also much more conservative holding out key players in the fall than others. i wouldnt read into any scores you see this month

january scrimmages are more valuable...those are closer simulations of the real season. but at this point its basically a glorified practice

Probably means nothing (or does it?). Notre Adam’s without either Kavanagh I believe. Also Hopkins only won by a couple against Lehigh in a downpour yesterday on Long Island.

Pat's still dealing with that labrum injury (not sure about Chris).

Any report on how the frosh goalie from Farmingdale is doing?

He was beaten up by Bville in state final but otherwise had a great senior year on LI.

Can't remember the last time IL did a true Fall Ball check in with SU. I think they wrote something up after their scrimmage down in Baltimore last year but they didn't give them the full treatment. My understanding is that had more to do with SU than with IL.

Can't remember the last time IL did a true Fall Ball check in with SU. I think they wrote something up after their scrimmage down in Baltimore last year but they didn't give them the full treatment. My understanding is that had more to do with SU than with IL.

Someone wants an update on the Cuse D and Figueiras. Don’t we all?

Should we be over analyzing that clip? Well I'm going to.

Looks like second line attack (w/Mule) and maybe a third midfield unit.

Defense looks like it could be starters at close - Dwan, Figueiras, and Olexo?

Then you've got Sageder with a pole (listed on roster as an SSDM).

Looks like Rice is out there with Titus at SSDM - i assume that is the #1 paring for now. Neither exactly had a great rep there (Titus switched when he probably shouldnt have to create the nice matchup for Mule at X and Rice lost Deere somehow.

Should we be over analyzing that clip? Well I'm going to.

Looks like second line attack (w/Mule) and maybe a third midfield unit.

Defense looks like it could be starters at close - Dwan, Figueiras, and Olexo?

Then you've got Sageder with a pole (listed on roster as an SSDM).

Looks like Rice is out there with Titus at SSDM - i assume that is the #1 paring for now. Neither exactly had a great rep there (Titus switched when he probably shouldnt have to create the nice matchup for Mule at X and Rice lost Deere somehow.

Definitely a mixed unit as I see Barret White, Erlbeck, Deere, and I think Finn is the O player in the far left as I see a 3 on the Jersey though I guess it could be Kempney. I can't see the other O player.

Definitely a mixed unit as I see Barret White, Erlbeck, Deere, and I think Finn is the O player in the far left as I see a 3 on the Jersey though I guess it could be Kempney. I can't see the other O player.
McCarthy = 13. Tengalia = 27.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom