2023 Maui Classic | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Maui Classic

Why did we schedule this w our program in obvious transition or sad end to an era? Did JB convince someone his best freshman class ever would be sophomores for this?

Maybe we will surprise, there's still a chance we're better next year but this event won't help show it in the w/l column

Why did we schedule this w our program in obvious transition or sad end to an era? Did JB convince someone his best freshman class ever would be sophomores for this?

Maybe we will surprise, there's still a chance we're better next year but this event won't help show it in the w/l column
It’s an opportunity for some high quality Quad 1 wins, and also a very entertaining event. I personally can’t wait for it.

It’s an opportunity for some high quality Quad 1 wins, and also a very entertaining event. I personally can’t wait for it.
I hear ya, hope I'm dead wrong and can come back here to eat crow and celebrate

Pretty sure it was set a year or two ago, at least. No guarantee who’d be good or not. it’s just too bad we continue to be not so good.

Maui is the most prestigious of the pre-season tourneys. No more than one team per conference can be invited, and all teams want to go. We were last there in 2013. Maui in 2023 has been on our schedule for several years. BTW, our appearance there in 2013 ruffled a few feathers in the ACC. Both we (from the Big East) and UNC (from the ACC) were supposed to be participants that year. However, 2013 turned out to be our first year in the ACC, and a choice had to be made between us and UNC, and we were the ones to go to Maui (where we won the tournament).

Maui is the most prestigious of the pre-season tourneys. No more than one team per conference can be invited, and all teams want to go. We were last there in 2013. Maui in 2023 has been on our schedule for several years. BTW, our appearance there in 2013 ruffled a few feathers in the ACC. Both we (from the Big East) and UNC (from the ACC) were supposed to be participants that year. However, 2013 turned out to be our first year in the ACC, and a choice had to be made between us and UNC, and we were the ones to go to Maui (where we won the tournament).
Who chose us over UNC, the Maui? It was the right choice and I can’t believe that was 10 yrs ago. I believe that was when we had a bloodied CJ Fair.

Who chose us over UNC, the Maui? It was the right choice and I can’t believe that was 10 yrs ago. I believe that was when we had a bloodied CJ Fair.
Louisville was in it last year lol. I just hope we get 2 wins in the Maui.

Louisville was in it last year lol. I just hope we get 2 wins in the Maui.
2 wins in Maui (hopefully one of them is not Chaminade) would be INCREDIBLE, and a strong sign that we are potentially back.

2 wins in Maui (hopefully one of them is not Chaminade) would be INCREDIBLE, and a strong sign that we are potentially back.
For a rebuilding program, taking your lumps early and having the players understand what a high level team looks like isn't the worst thing in the world.

Maybe they won't be good but because of Maui I certainly know they'll be ready for ACC play.

One thing about Maui is that even though it's stiff competition, many of those schools had a massive retooling this off season and will be working the kinks out themselves. That guarantees nothing but certainly opens the door opportunity wise for anyone.

To play optimist - it’s going to be hard for teams to prepare for a coach / system with no tape.

Then again, there’s the 2022 Louisville / Payne experience.

To play optimist - it’s going to be hard for teams to prepare for a coach / system with no tape.

Then again, there’s the 2022 Louisville / Payne experience.

Payne was the most clueless p6 coach I've seen in a long time. Team had zero discipline, rarely played hard and he never had much of an adjustment. Was sad we almost lost to them last year which said more about us than them.

Talent wins and Maui teams are loaded.

Ok then we won't win a game then. Better? Chaminade probably has more 5 stars than we do and will out rebound us by 30.

We have question marks but you act like we have nothing but 2 - 3 star kids on next years team.

Talent does require time to gel when it's all thrown together. We saw that with many teams early on in the year last year.

Ok then we won't win a game then. Better? Chaminade probably has more 5 stars than we do and will out rebound us by 30.

We have question marks but you act like we have nothing but 2 - 3 star kids on next years team.

Talent does require time to gel when it's all thrown together. We saw that with many teams early on in the year last year.
Where does my comment say SU has no talent? I just made a statement of fact.

We are going to kick some butts over there. I think our guys are very talented, especially if judah is back, hungry and will have a chip on their shoulder. Also ,a lot of guys will be clawing for playing time. Everybody wants to be the Alpha!

Same here, it’s not like we have done great against alleged cupcakes(Colgate, Bryant, SJU etc) might as well (potentially) lose to great teams or get a big win

You play good schools and gain experience. Iron sharpens iron. We had a few mediocre years. People around here are acting like we’re DePaul.

Im excited for the tournament and early gut check.

Where does my comment say SU has no talent? I just made a statement of fact.

You are saying we will beat no one but Chaminade then comment on talent of the other teams. Just doing the simple math. Your comment is as defeatist as it gets. Have a look at Purdue and the star rating of their kids as recruits. They developed guys well. It will yes be a lot of talented teams with talented dudes put there. Who meshes and puts things together will win more games. Right now that's open ended.

You play good schools and gain experience. Iron sharpens iron. We had a few mediocre years. People around here are acting like we’re DePaul.

Im excited for the tournament and early gut check.
It's excited. I have no idea how the players will respond to new coaching, new systems, new styles. My only expectation is playing hard, competing, and having a good attitude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom