2023 MLB Season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2023 MLB Season

Dodgers young guys are starting to rake. Smith is back. Gonsolin is back. Urias seems out of his slump. Pen has settled in and been better.

Starting to feel better about things.

Also, MuncyVP!!!

Mariners off to a rocky start.
Robbie Ray is done for a full year with the Tommy John surgery, La Stella released outright, and Julio Rodriguez has been resting with dreaded "back soreness" which isnt ideal for the kid we just kinda sorta locked up for life.

The good news is... I was randomly selected to be able to purchase ticket strips for the All-Star Game and ancillary events. :) I think... Probably. Will know for sure on Monday.

In the sixth inning of tonight's Mets game, Washington manager Dave Martinez brough Carl Edwards into the game to face Brandon Nimmo. Gary Cohen suggested it was because Nimmo is 0 for 5 lifetime against Edwards. But is that a relevant statistic with such a small sample?

In the old old days of two 8 team leagues with no interleague play, batters would face pitchers dozens, maybe hundreds of times. Stan Musial faced Warren Spahn 327 times. Here's a listing of the batters he faced the most times, (with the top few blocked out with a bit of extortion):
Even among the ones they let us see, Stan faced 10 guys 100 times, (I got the Spahn number from a less avaricious source).

Let's look at Brandon:
The most plate appearances against any individual pitcher that they will let us see is 18. That might be enough to reveal a trend but is "0 for 5"?

Nimmo walked, by the way, and scored from first on Lindor's bass loaded single to give the Mets the lead. He's still 0 for 5 vs. Edwards.

The Red Sox are in last Place again.

But they have a 22-18 record. Which would put them in first or second place in every division other than the AL East….

Interesting pitching match-up tonight, (7:20, PBS): the Braves' Spencer Strider vs. the Dodgers' Bobby Miller:

We're going to be hearing about these guys for years...
5 inning, 1 run for Miller!

He threw a lot of pitches and went to a lot of full counts, but can’t ask for more than 5 innings and only 1 run against a good team in your first start. Hoping they can hold the lead and get him a win!

Dodgers are currently without Urias, May, and Buehler. Friggin absurd. We need this kid to be ready.

5 inning, 1 run for Miller!

He threw a lot of pitches and went to a lot of full counts, but can’t ask for more than 5 innings and only 1 run against a good team in your first start. Hoping they can hold the lead and get him a win!

Dodgers are currently without Urias, May, and Buehler. Friggin absurd. We need this kid to be ready.

Strider got 18 guys out, 11 on strikes, but gave up 8 baserunners, 4 of whom scored.

Miller got 15 guys out, 5 from strikes, gave up 5 baserunners, 1 of whom scored.

Strider got 18 guys out, 11 on strikes, but gave up 8 baserunners, 4 of whom scored.

Miller got 15 guys out, 5 from strikes, gave up 5 baserunners, 1 of whom scored.
Will Smith is “just smacking the ” out of the ball.

Braves are finishing up the Sunday night game in Atlanta and then fly to Oakland for a 5 PDT start tomorrow. ESPN didn't do them any favors with that turnaround.

Braves are finishing up the Sunday night game in Atlanta and then fly to Oakland for a 5 PDT start tomorrow. ESPN didn't do them any favors with that turnaround.

But they are flying to Oakland.

But they are flying to Oakland.
Really?????? I had no idea. That's still quite a fast turnaround from east to west coast.

seems like the mets had the same thing happen to them going to Oakland/SF trip.

They could walk to Oakland and would still be favored to win tomorrow.
Yes if the Braves have to make that turnaround, you couldn't pick a better opponent.

It’s a shame what the A’s are putting out there.
They just don’t lose, they get pounded everyday it seems.
Yes it is. My uncle has lived in Oakland since the 70s and usually goes to a few games a year and follows the rest on tv. It's just sad and not even fun for him and this from an organization that made the playoffs 2018-20.

Yes it is. My uncle has lived in Oakland since the 70s and usually goes to a few games a year and follows the rest on tv. It's just sad and not even fun for him and this from an organization that made the playoffs 2018-20.
Yup, it really is sad. That franchise has so much history - powerhouse teams in both the 70s and 80s, and really since 2000 they’ve probably made the playoffs more often than they’ve missed it? At least it feels that way. They’ve seemingly never gone very many seasons without getting good again.

Don’t want to see them in Vegas at all, there’s way too much history in Oakland.

Yup, it really is sad. That franchise has so much history - powerhouse teams in both the 70s and 80s, and really since 2000 they’ve probably made the playoffs more often than they’ve missed it? At least it feels that way. They’ve seemingly never gone very many seasons without getting good again.

Don’t want to see them in Vegas at all, there’s way too much history in Oakland.

It's a normal enough evolution within the game. I've seen the Giants move to SF, the Dodgers to LA, Milwaukee Braves to Atlanta, the Washington Senators to Minnesota, the Seattle Pilots to Milwaukee (IIRC), the Montreal Expos to Washington, DC, the Kansas City A's to Oakland. And now the Oakland A's are talking moving to Vegas. There's probably another in there somewhere I've forgotten. Teams move. It happens.
noidea.gif

It's a normal enough evolution within the game. I've seen the Giants move to SF, the Dodgers to LA, Milwaukee Braves to Atlanta, the Washington Senators to Minnesota, the Seattle Pilots to Milwaukee (IIRC), the Montreal Expos to Washington, DC, the Kansas City A's to Oakland. And now the Oakland A's are talking moving to Vegas. There's probably another in there somewhere I've forgotten. Teams move. It happens. View attachment 228179
Good list.

The As moved from KC to Oakland in 1968. Based on your timeline, that is one you may have seen.

They also moved from Philly to KC in 1955. Might have seen that one. Not sure. Most be hard to be an As fan. Four moves in the span of 70 years or so.

Also the Braves moved from Boston to Milwaukee in 1952 and then to Atlanta in 1966.

The St Louis Browns moved to Baltimore to become the Orioles after the 1953 season.

Good list.

The As moved from KC to Oakland in 1968. Based on your timeline, that is one you may have seen.

They also moved from Philly to KC in 1955. Might have seen that one. Not sure. Most be hard to be an As fan. Four moves in the span of 70 years or so.

Also the Braves moved from Boston to Milwaukee in 1952 and then to Atlanta in 1966.

The St Louis Browns moved to Baltimore to become the Orioles after the 1953 season.

I've actually been around for all of those, but I was pretty young for the earliest ones. But I certainly do remember the Giants and Dodgers departures. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom