2023 Preseason Camp Thread | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Preseason Camp Thread

This is AWESOME news! Surprised we are not getting more response to this. (Edit: Woops. missed the previous several posts) For Shrader to be saying this means we likely have a #2 and Alford is ready to step up and be a consistent serious option. But it also sounds like he thinks others have improved as well but Alford is above the others. I really don't think lack of respectable receiving threat options is going to be a problem this year.

Now we just need the OL to gel...(fingers crossed).
Yeah, my favorite part is you know he wasn’t just pumping Alford up because its preseason and its easy to say positive things. He literally called out how he was disappointed with his consistency last year and this year he has totally turned that part around, but is still spectacular. So you know he was speaking his mind.

Consistently good AND occasionally great is the way!

Fourth video (lower right) in the first set of videos; is that Barlyn Oliver working with the corners? He has been working at rover since he got here last year. Did the arrival of Farmer make this move easier (I'm pretty sure it did)?

Fourth video (lower right) in the second set of videos (1 on 1's); Excellent coverage, Great ball placement and outstanding catch (Donovan Brown). Who threw that pass?

Sa what you want, but Emily gives us more videos than anybody else who covers the team.
Thank you Emily!

Her post is titled "Final camp thread." When is the third scrimmage? Are we transitioning into game prep for Colgate?
Regarding the corners, I saw 23, 14 and 17 in that drill. That translates to Bellamy, Wilson (number just changed) and Martin.

Believe Martin recently moved to CB.

I think Oliver wears 21.

Regarding the corners, I saw 23, 14 and 17 in that drill. That translates to Bellamy, Wilson (number just changed) and Martin.

Believe Martin recently moved to CB.

I think Oliver wears 21.

There are nine players in the drill.

22, Peterson in the green jersey (owie?)
23, Bellamy
14, Wilson
32, Delaine
17, Martin
21, Oliver (at the 22 second mark, standing facing the camera at the 35 yard line)
29, Buxton (the ball carrier)
3, Johnson (standing behind the drill waiting his turn)
39, Masters (standing behind the drill waiting his turn)

Oliver was clearly working with the CBs today. Is this an experiment for a few days or will it be something more permanent? Time will tell.

The OL in the clip is Petry, Reed, Bradford, Bleich and Cruz

Jones is a WR and Alford is a WR

...and Wilson is the QB.
Good eyes. I'd have to replay that 10 times to have a chance at picking out those numbers.

Last edited:
This a is true and unrefutable. Shrader even said as much in his last interview when he was asked about the current #2 And referring to DA last year

Shrader said right now the #2 is Damien because last year he was spectacular but only once every week or two but now it’s EVERY throw. “I really trust him and he has become really consistent”.

That was HUGE for me to hear. If Alford is #2 and we know Jones would be a great #3 then it leave the others to compete for #4 (Peña/Adams/Hatcher/Long etc) which would be a great position to be in.

That would be awesome. I’ve thought for two years he not only has the physical ability to be an impact player but the physical attributes to maybe make an NFL roster. I hope he he comes into his own this year. He’s got all the tools.

I think it will not be unusual for us to have Gadsden in the slot, with Alford and Jones on the outside.

They are listed as 6'5, 6'6 and 6'4. Gadsden is 223 pounds, Alford 210 and Jones 200.

Not many teams have the personnel to match up well with that group.

It’s a group that really could do a lot of damage and open things up for the rest of the offense. I love Allen but especially catching the ball out of the backfield. With those 3 guys needing to be accounted for (hopefully a lot), it creates a lot of opportunities for Allen not just in the run game. I think he’s an under appreciated receiver and I think he’s going to have some exciting plays this year.

The closer we get, the more I like this teams potential. If we beat the teams we should, and win one in the 3 game stretch of Clemson, UNC, and FSU, we could reach 9-10 wins. Health and Oline play are the deciding factors. Just bought 16 tickets for Clemson, hopefully we are undefeated going into that one. I have not been as optimistic about an upcoming season as this one in a long time.

Pena I'm a huge fan but he's a space guy. Hope to see him on sweeps, misdirection, screens, reverses etc. He's bigger too so I think he'll break more open field tackles
The only thing Peña does which drives me nuts is turn his back into tacklers on kick off returns.

The closer we get, the more I like this teams potential. If we beat the teams we should, and win one in the 3 game stretch of Clemson, UNC, and FSU, we could reach 9-10 wins. Health and Oline play are the deciding factors. Just bought 16 tickets for Clemson, hopefully we are undefeated going into that one. I have not been as optimistic about an upcoming season as this one in a long time.
After LSU and Clemson beat Florida St, when we beat Clemson, the league will pull for us to keep on winning.
A 2 loss FSU at home isn't going to get many calls from ACC officials.

After LSU and Clemson beat Florida St, when we beat Clemson, the league will pull for us to keep on winning.
A 2 loss FSU at home isn't going to get many calls from ACC officials.
Love the first half of your post, but after the felony officiating we got there last time, I’m not banking on any calls.

I never got that impression. I thought people (myself included) didn’t like to sift through all the non-SU, non-sports stuff on her social media feed.

I think generally people here appreciate good reporting, regardless of demographics. Donna Ditota never gets any crap…because she’s damn good at what she does.

I also think our fan base appreciates Beth mowins and Doris Burke.

Emily took crap for sure, but I never felt it was because she’s a woman.

If anything, it’s because all she talked about in the beginning was Mizzou related.

That’s stopped, and she’s provided more content recently, but it still feels like the content level has dropped considerably since Bailey left.

Quality is really the issue as there’s only so much you can do with the restrictive access.
Spot on. I could care less about a reporters gender, race, ect... i simply want solid reporting.

Good eyes. I'd have to replay that 10 times to have a chance at picking out those numbers. Anyone know who (to whom) Dino was referring in his presser when he said "almost Gadsden like"? If its Alford, not a moment too soon.

Isn't it nice to see WR's step up and seize the #2 spot instead of being the 2nd best of a below average group?

Looking forward in seeing these guys make some plays this fall plus it keeps Shrader healthier and takes the wear and tear off of Allen.

Remember Wake Forest in the Dome two years ago?

Still gives me nightmares, trying to defend their trio of huge receivers...

Glad we have those types of players now.
Yup agreed. I think our WR play should be markedly improved. That is exciting. And i'll add that the QB's seems to be dropping some dimes all be it in highlight clips.

By the way Wake forest still has those types of WR's and I think that Griffis kid playing QB is going to be pretty good as well. He is small though so hopefully he gets banged up by the time we play them. They could get their stud #1 receiver back by then though. They are really deep at WR so that may not matter all that much. They really do a good job of developing players. That is another game on the schedule that many not informed think is just going to be an automatic W because Hartman isn't there any longer. It'll be a serious battle and that one can go either way.

Last edited:
Remember Wake Forest in the Dome two years ago?

Still gives me nightmares, trying to defend their trio of huge receivers...

Glad we have those types of players now.
Hartman and AT Perry ... deadly combination. Fortunately, both are gone (Perry to the NOS and Hartman to ND). I'm not claiming WF won't have WR threats, but it'd be awesome to give them some of their own medicine. Let's see how their secondary handles OG, Alford and Jones.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom