2023 Preseason Camp Thread | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Preseason Camp Thread

Kid is built like the DL version of Jarveon Howard, and has athleticism to boot.

Wouldn't remotely be surprised to see him prove capable of playing BOTH DE and DT, even as a true frosh.
Wonder what our team looks like last year with Sean as the 1 and Jarveon as the 2 if covid never introduce complications/homesickness etc

Agreed about Purdue. There new head coach was the defensive coordinator last year that turned Illinois defense around from an on overall #75 ranking to a #3 ranking in just one season.

Like Illinois in 2022 they will run a 3–4-4 that is more like a 5-2-4. Lots of big athletes. The 3 DL will likely all be 290-300 and the 2 OLB are like 260 and 280.

The one potential positive is I’ve seen so many times an OC or DC becomes a HC and with having to hire a coordinator and extra responsibility, their offense/defense never ends up materializing like it did when they were the coordinator somewhere else. Some wishful thinking there in my part too.

So it seems like the past few weeks the OL has looked like this, correct?
  • E. Cruz
  • Bleich/Ellis
  • Reed
  • More/Bradford
  • Petry/Wohlabaugh
Petry at RT would be a surprise. Let’s hope it’s because he absolutely killed it during camp rather than others not doing as well as expected. It seems the Ellis injury has thrown off the complexion of the line too. If he was 100% healthy, I imagine Bleich gets kicked over to RG and More moves to RT? Although, I always thought Bradford was ahead of Petry, so, again, surprised Petry might get the nod. And, of course, really curious where Wohlabaugh actually fits in all of this. I thought he was a guard, but he’s projected at tackle? I don’t know, but interesting projection for sure.

Petry at RT would be a surprise. Let’s hope it’s because he absolutely killed it during camp rather than others not doing as well as expected. It seems the Ellis injury has thrown off the complexion of the line too. If he was 100% healthy, I imagine Bleich gets kicked over to RG and More moves to RT? Although, I always thought Bradford was ahead of Petry, so, again, surprised Petry might get the nod. And, of course, really curious where Wohlabaugh actually fits in all of this. I thought he was a guard, but he’s projected at tackle? I don’t know, but interesting projection for sure.
If petry gets the nod its because he's better than the others and gives them the best chance to win.

Looks like Bradford and Reed blocking for GS at the 17 second mark
Yup. There is a shot of Ellis wearing his normal (orange) jersey standing next to E Cruz later in the video. That appears to indicate Ellis is practice again and perhaps with the first team.

It makes sense Ilaoa has been held out. That explains why he has not appeared in videos for a long time (a week maybe?).

As far as I can see, the two givens are E Cruz at LT and Bleich at LG. Chris might have missed one or two practices early but he seems to have been healthy and consistently with the first team through preseason camp.

Center appears to be a real battle between Ilaoa and Reed.

Right guard appears to be a battle between Ellis, Bradford and Reed. That said, if Ellis is healthy, I think he is also a lcook to start. It looks. To me as though Bradford is probably going to be the guy if Ellis can’t play.

Right tackle also appears to be wide open. More, Wohlabaugh and Petry have all appeared to have had snaps with the first team. Though Long Istand Cruz might have a chance to step up here but it looks like the older guys are going fight it out.

Petry seems to be getting the most playing time with the first team right now (he also appears in the video, presumably playing with the first team). Might mean Wohlabaugh or More is banged up but I have seen them some too so I don’t think so.

Center and right tackle might come down to a game day decision. My guess is that the staff will handle Ellis with kid gloves and try to ensure he is 100% for Colgate, limiting his snaps. Let’s hope that strategy pays off.

Yup. There is a shot of Ellis wearing his normal (orange) jersey standing next to E Cruz later in the video. That appears to indicate Ellis is practice again and perhaps with the first team.

It makes sense Ilaoa has been held out. That explains why he has not appeared in videos for a long time (a week maybe?).

As far as I can see, the two givens are E Cruz at LT and Bleich at LG. Chris might have missed one or two practices early but he seems to have been healthy and consistently with the first team through preseason camp.

Center appears to be a real battle between Ilaoa and Reed.

Right guard appears to be a battle between Ellis, Bradford and Reed. That said, if Ellis is healthy, I think he is also a lcook to start. It looks. To me as though Bradford is probably going to be the guy if Ellis can’t play.

Right tackle also appears to be wide open. More, Wohlabaugh and Petry have all appeared to have had snaps with the first team. Though Long Istand Cruz might have a chance to step up here but it looks like the older guys are going fight it out.

Petry seems to be getting the most playing time with the first team right now (he also appears in the video, presumably playing with the first team). Might mean Wohlabaugh or More is banged up but I have seen them some too so I don’t think so.

Center and right tackle might come down to a game day decision. My guess is that the staff will handle Ellis with kid gloves and try to ensure he is 100% for Colgate, limiting his snaps. Let’s hope that strategy pays off.
Sounds like Dino wants an NFL approach, five starters, swing tackle, interior guy that can cover center and guard

Essentially two preseason games to get real reps on tape

In the Instagram post from the scrimmage looks like Cruz-Bleich-Reed-More-Wohlabough
Cool.

The big question is, why was More moved to OG?

I am hoping it was clear pretty early on that Wohlabaugh was a better OT. With Ellis questionable, they wanted to see what More (who I believed played OT, OG and C at Richmond), could do at OG.

I haven’t seen him at OT since he was moved to OG so I am thinking they liked what they have seen of him there. Though Bradford has played some with the first team OL at RG as well.

Ilaoa better get healthy soon. Reed appears to be playing a lot of snaps with the first team.

I am hoping it was clear pretty early on that Wohlabaugh was a better OT.
This would be terrific news

Also why I think we were able to snag him him from Kentucky (a team known for their OL)

Reading between the lines of all the reports Kentucky wanted him to play center and we were willing to give home a shot at tackle

Let’s hope he’s the next Koda Martin!

Reading between the lines of all the reports Kentucky wanted him to play center
His dad was an NFL Center, and had a pretty solid career. We are also a team that has struggled to find success at that position. He just used up his free transfer year, so maybe if he doesn't pan out at RT we could see a position change with us as well. Feels like a win-win for us.

Just have the faith Coach Farmer has the best 7 picked out and put in their best positions. Coach Farmer has put a few players in the big league so I take it he has put the right combination together and finally give us all the confidence that the O-line can do a good job. Go Orange .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom