2023 Preseason Top 20 Lookahead | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Preseason Top 20 Lookahead

Lax All Stars predicts Syracuse to finish in the Top 3 of the ACC. Not sure how hot of a take that is, but here we are.

Lax All Stars predicts Syracuse to finish in the Top 3 of the ACC. Not sure how hot of a take that is, but here we are.

Just need Duke to continue failing with boatloads of talent and we are golden!

Hey their right they addressed two huge needs that killed this team last yr. Goalie and DM really hurt the team. The coaches knew it and added some veteran transfers. Hard to get in any rhythm on offense when ur always chasing. Ur forcing bad shots and not moving the ball. We know the offense this yr with the vets and the talented freshman mix will definitely score goals. With the upgrades at goalie and DM will make a big difference. Yes Fogo is still a question mark but have to think they have a plan. Then with Kirst leadership, Hiltz shot, Simmons all around game then extremely talented young guys I can see this team be very good as the season goes on. If they can win some early games I think by the stretch run the young guys will be comfortable and confident. Get in the tournament and get hot. There is a lot of talent on this team between vets and freshman. Cole Kirst leadership will be huge in getting it all to come together. He really impresses me. Would take him on my team any day. U know he's fired up to win it's his final season. All the transfers except for Mark it's their final season. They want to win and will play with everything they got. The young guys will follow.

Just need Duke to continue failing with boatloads of talent and we are golden!
Duke has questions at goalie. We all know how bad goalie play can cost games and hurt teams. Let's hope they struggle there. Lol

Duke does have Naso returning at face-offs to go with transfer Zusi from Penn, so it could be sort of an uphill battle for Syracuse to beat them.

Duke does have Naso returning at face-offs to go with transfer Zusi from Penn, so it could be sort of an uphill battle for Syracuse to beat them.
We did get rocked at the x against their Michael Sowers team and still took it to the wire. Somehow we always match up well agains Duke. The only real concern I have is that ONeill continues to develop as a QB/passer and really goes off next year. I think Caccamo is good enough to limit him somewhat.

Ohio State has their roster posted.

They apparently get both of last year's transfers Knox and Blanchard (F0) back.
Jack Myers and Colby Smith are back on offense. Skylar Wahlund and Caton Johnson are back in goal.
Sherrer is there as an LSM transfer from Maryland, and you have Hudgins, Van Buren and Snyder on close.

I am honestly more worried about ND than Duke. ND can be a final four team next year IMO,

Ohio State has their roster posted.

They apparently get both of last year's transfers Knox and Blanchard (F0) back.
Jack Myers and Colby Smith are back on offense. Skylar Wahlund and Caton Johnson are back in goal.
Sherrer is there as an LSM transfer from Maryland, and you have Hudgins, Van Buren and Snyder on close.

they're going to be good

Lacalandra is a big pick up for Ohio State on offense too. I'm familiar with him from my LI roots. Just his passing alone will be huge for them. He had like 38 assists last yr. Along with 34 goals or something.

Didn't Notre Dame lose some players off the defense.

Yes, I believe all three starters at close and their top SSDM. But they brought in Fake from Yale and Conlin from Holy Cross. Despite losing Gerry Byrne as D coordinator they constantly produce good defenses. Having Entemann back in goal will certainly help.

Last edited:
they're going to be good

I thought you questioned some of the transfers they brought in? And we’re not high on their locker room culture. Could be misremembering, apologies if so.

I thought you questioned some of the transfers they brought in? And we’re not high on their locker room culture. Could be misremembering, apologies if so.

I did, still wouldn't put stock in them long term. But for 2023... they were already solid last year and the roster is better now after adding Hudgins who i think people forget is a true superstar defenseman assuming he hasn't lost a step after his year off. I didn't know they were keeping Blanchard which is a big deal. Faceoffs looked like their only potential hole before that. He's not Inacio but he's not a liability either

My current top 20, heading into September:

1) Maryland
2) Cornell
3) Virginia - up 1, really return a lot
4) Princeton
5) Georgetown
6) Yale
7) Ohio State - getting Blanchard back helps fill in FO hole. outstanding close defense
8) Notre Dame - question marks on close D, and attackman Taylor is injured.
9) Penn
10) Rutgers
11) Duke
12) Delaware
13) Harvard
14) Brown
15) Penn State
16) Jacksonville
17) Denver
18) Boston U
19) Syracuse - FO hole, questionable defense. Hiltz and Spallina lead the offense.
20) MIchigan - One feels like they are crying wolf, but maybe the Wolv. will show up this year.

Last edited:
I imagine it does somewhat depend on transfer Chase Mullins doing a good job on face-offs.
depends on a lot more than that, i'd say

i know they had some injuries last year, but they were truly awful, losing to vermont and bucknell and then getting crushed twice by a hopkins team that had its own issues. that team had very little talent

teams that go 3-11 typically don't become top 15 squads the following year, even if they're healthier and bring in a key transfer or two. they're in the midst of a multi-year rebuild.

i think they will be better (would be hard not to), but it's going to take at least another year or two if not more for them to get back into the NCAA tournament discussion, which a top 15 ranking implies

all of that being said, rumors are that tambroni is coaching for his job this year so maybe the players get up for him and they surprise. i would be pretty shocked but strange things happen sometimes

What about 4-10 teams?
PSU doesn't have a roster up yet.
Attack - TJ Malone (41 points in 11 games in 2021), Will Peden (33 points as a freshmen), Jack Traynor (23 points in 6 games last year). Winkoff (55 points in 14 games at Binghamton, Matt Lazzaro 5 star recruit.
Looks like a substantial improvement. If Lazzaro were an impact freshman, it could be a very large improvement. Always a chance that one of the attackmen will play midfield.
MIdfield - Mac Costin (20g-4a), Ethan Long (6g-12 assists as freshman), Marc Sickler (15g-1a as a soph)
Face-offs: add Chase Mullins, also add Ritchie Hughson (.438 at Providence, Freshman). PSU's team face-off pct last year was .430

Goalie: Fyock and Fracyon are both fairly good.

Not really sure how the defense meshes out, but they have some decent guys returning. Both of the UA AAs from last year: Kevin Parnham and Pup Buono had good freshmen years.

I thought I saw his name. Wonder if he entered the portal then pulled his name out. If not then idk why I thought I saw his name. Lol

Rutgers has their 2023 roster posted:

Knobloch, Cameron, Scott, Sprock, Kulas back on the offense
Ethan Rall and Bobby Russo back on the defense
Transfer Mullins from Harvard at goalie
Senior transfer Mitch Baker from Australia

Rutgers has their 2023 roster posted:

Knobloch, Cameron, Scott, Sprock, Kulas back on the offense
Ethan Rall and Bobby Russo back on the defense
Transfer Mullins from Harvard at goalie
Senior transfer Mitch Baker from Australia

Gonna be a long season on the Banks most likely. That defense lost a ton, Offense should still be good but Sprock is coming back from a major injury and Kulas and Cameron are zero dodging threats.

Gonna be a long season on the Banks most likely. That defense lost a ton, Offense should still be good but Sprock is coming back from a major injury and Kulas and Cameron are zero dodging threats.
On the other hand, Ross Scott is an outstanding dodger.
Rall and Russo are pretty good players to build a defense around. Freshman Ryan Splaine at LSM is a pretty good recruit; he might be able to contribute right away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom