2023 Schedule Guesses | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Schedule Guesses

Overall they should be better but this is a gross over-schedule. They are no built to go through this type of gauntlet nor do they have the offensive personnel to hold up to the grind and the injuries that they will endure. This is what UVA or Maryland should be playing not Hopkins. The Hop thread over at fanlax will be a must read again this spring.

I think Hopkins will be better than people think but that schedule does them no favors. I'm guessing they'd be favored against Navy and maybe Utah and Loyola. The game against the Orange is probably a toss up and the rest look to be uphill climbs, even against Jacksonville.

Their defense has the chance to be quite good and they have solid face-off play if Narewski comes back healthy. People like to say that SU defense "can't be worse than last year" and I have the same thought about the Hopkins offense. They made a change at the coordinator spot and bring in John Crawley who seems like he could unlock some things. Plus I think they had some injuries last year with Grimes, Maher was out for the year and some of their young middies were dealing with knocks. I think the big question is goalie, a spot they've struggled with for a while now. They bring in the transfer from Bryant but his stats don't look particularly eye opening.

The Hopkins fans seem very high on their freshmen on the offensive side of the ball. IL doesn't seem quite as high but they've of course been wrong before. Collison does indeed look like he will be a bear to play against. English and Marquis also look impressive. Curious if they will see the field early.

Our schedule according to a semi-official blog (still not posted on the official site):

2/11 - Michigan
2/18 - Harvard
2/25 - Ohio State (Naples, FL)
3/4 - Richmond
3/7 - @ JHU (Tuesday night)
3/11 - Towson
3/18 - @ UMD (venue TBD)
3/25 - @ ND
4/1 - Duke
4/6 - @ UNC (Thursday night)
4/15 - @ Duke
4/22 - SU (The blog calls this the "rumored Syracuse Rivalry 'Throwback' Game")
4/25 - @ Lafayette (Tuesday)
4/30 - ND (Sunday)

Last edited:
Our schedule according to a semi-official blog (still not posted on the official site):

2/11 - Michigan
2/18 - Harvard
3/4 - Richmond
3/11 - Towson
3/18 - @ UMD (venue TBD)
3/25 - @ ND
4/1 - Duke
4/15 - @ Duke
4/30 - ND (Sunday)
So you have Air Force, High Point, and Quinnipiac out, and Michigan, Harvard, and OSU in. That seems like a bit of an upgrade.
UVa also appears to get a bit of an in-conference upgrade playing the apparent 2nd and 3rd place teams, Duke and Notre Dame each twice this Spring.

good points but on the other hand, hopkins was 7-9 with a fairly similar schedule last year so if you assume any sort of improvement from them, then it's not unreasonable at all to turn that 7-9 into a 9-7, which, though unspectacular, gets them in the playoff discussion

Ya it is similar but most of the opponents will likely be better (save for maybe UNC) and they took off what was a bad Townson team and added St. Joes who should be one of the favorites in their conference. I guess Utah is the 1 sort of lesser game, but seems odd they don't have at least 1 more UMBC or VMI type team to get some type of breather. Hop like Syracuse, Maryland and others usually plays a really tough schedule so I get it, but even with some overall improvement that's a OOC schedule more for a UVA or G-town. Especially when you consider they're likely going to need to go to some frosh O guys early.

I do agree it's a schedule where if they can finish 9-7 they have definitely earned a tourney birth but it can also spiral quickly like it did to SU last year and before you know it your 3-7.

Penn State seems to have a good schedule balance here. Three tough Ivy League matchups, games they “should” win against Stony Brook, Marquette and Lafayette and a toss up against Villanova. Zach80 is higher than most on the Lions, they could possibly be a sleeper team. They were young and injured last year and really bad at faceoffs. They brought in some face off transfers and also will have some highly ranked freshmen to work with.

Penn State seems to have a good schedule balance here. Three tough Ivy League matchups, games they “should” win against Stony Brook, Marquette and Lafayette and a toss up against Villanova. Zach80 is higher than most on the Lions, they could possibly be a sleeper team. They were young and injured last year and really bad at faceoffs. They brought in some face off transfers and also will have some highly ranked freshmen to work with.

Just getting TJ Malone back could be big. He was out last year but had 43 points in 11 games in 2021. Will Peden had a nice freshman year with 33 points. They bring in 5 star recruit Matt Lazzaro (Deerfield) and transfer Kevin Winkoff who had 55 pts for Binghamton. They add transfers Chase Mullins to bolster their face-offs. They certainly should be improved from last year.

That is a pretty tough stretch with Yale, Penn, and Cornell in a row.

2/11 - Michigan
2/18 - Harvard
3/4 - Richmond
3/11 - Towson
3/18 - @ UMD (venue TBD)
3/25 - @ ND
4/1 - Duke
4/15 - @ Duke
4/30 - ND (Sunday)
I guess I would figure that UVa was a strong favorite in all their games, except UMD, ND, and Duke. Still teams like Harvard, OSU, Richmond, UNC, SU appear strong enough to perhaps pull an upset. So there is an aggregate chance of losing to these teams. UMd seems sort of 50-50. I think UVa is stronger than Duke, but UVa plays Duke poorly, so 1-1 in those games. ND looks to be fairly strong this year, so 1-1 there also. So I'll predict 11-3 for UVa.

Yale schedule out. Dawned on me that with the Ivy League not stating practice till February 1st they are a good month behind schedule of other teams like Syracuse and Hopkins who start their regular season the first weekend that month.

Bulldogs only playing 12 games (no cupcakes for certain, weakest game is Albany), but interesting to compare to aforementioned teams who are playing 15.

Yale schedule out. Dawned on me that with the Ivy League not stating practice till February 1st they are a good month behind schedule of other teams like Syracuse and Hopkins who start their regular season the first weekend that month.

Bulldogs only playing 12 games (no cupcakes for certain, weakest game is Albany), but interesting to compare to aforementioned teams who are playing 15.

But not any ooc top 10 teams either.

PSU had only 12 games also.

Georgetown schedule. Looks the same as last year but they swapped Mt Saint Mary's for High Point, and dropped Utah (so 13 games instead of 14). Tough draw with Princeton, Notre Dame, Penn, Hopkins, Richmond, Loyola and Lehigh out of conference. Though I don't think the Big East will be very good this year so they have some making up to do. A tough regular season schedule and only one loss didn't do the Hoya's much good in the Tournament though last year.

Loyola Schedule, I think it's exactly the same as last year:

UVA now playing 4 of the 6 Big Ten teams (maryland, hopkins, michigan, ohio state). prepping for a possible conference switch?
Can't until 2036 because of the ACC Grant of Rights. ;)

No one saw the Michigan game coming. I have a feeling that if there is a return game in Ann Arbor in Feb of 2024, it will be indoors. I hope they're giving us Big Bucks to play OthatSU in Florida. I think someone is giving us bucks to play MD again. The site is still TBA and may be at Audi Field again. (The terrible parking situation has been noted by the administration.) I could be wrong, but I don't think there would be much interest to play them otherwise. Playing JHU is "a different animal". A couple of years ago, the MLax alums had a ZOOM with Lars. The one thing we told him he absolutely, positively had to do was get JHU back on the schedule. That's when he told us that in Petro's last season there, when Petro said he didn't want to play us, he offered to Petro that he would even put our team on a bus to play JHU in a mid-week game in B'more even though it was our turn for the home game just keep the game on the schedule. Petro still refused. Everyone was really happy when Millman agreed to play us again.

I think someone is giving us bucks to play MD again. The site is still TBA and may be at Audi Field again. (The terrible parking situation has been noted by the administration.) I could be wrong, but I don't think there would be much interest to play them otherwise.
Are you sure about that?

Are you sure about that?

There was a blog post around the 9th of this month that said while the date of the game was set, the venue was still TBA. Could be in C'ville. Could be at Audi Feld.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there would be much interest to play them otherwise.
I was referring to this part what you were posting. Are you sure of that?

I was referring to this part what you were posting. Are you sure of that?
Yes. No one at the ZOOM with Lars was clamoring to play UMD again, just JHU.

Yes. No one at the ZOOM with Lars was clamoring to play UMD again, just JHU.
Your statement about the ZOOM came after the statement about UMd, and seemed to refer just to Hopkins. Thus your statement about UMd seemed more general.

I would mention to you that I was planning on going to a UVa at UMd game back in 2020, but then the covid shutdown hit, and the game was cancelled. Thus their playing would appear to have been originally a home-away pairing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom