2023 USMNT | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

2023 USMNT

Fwiw they had that same chemistry in the first half against Germany. They carved out some decent chances and had Germany on the back foot a lot.

Yeah, I agree. The first half against Germany was very good.
Big improvement this window over the last one.

Pulisic, Reyna, Balogun, Weah, Pepe and Aaronson all scored in these last 4 games, and some of them more than once. Other guys like Dest, McKennie and Musah had very strong moments.

We saw Miles Robinson and Richards as the centerback pairing for back to back games, and they did ok, but not great.

I like the defensive solidity and calmness on the ball that Hansen brings as an alternative to Antony Robinson at left back. I feel like we have our pair of guys there, now.

Pulisic, Reyna, Balogun, Weah, Pepe and Aaronson all scored in these last 4 games, and some of them more than once. Other guys like Dest, McKennie and Musah had very strong moments.

We saw Miles Robinson and Richards as the centerback pairing for back to back games, and they did ok, but not great.

I like the defensive solidity and calmness on the ball that Hansen brings as an alternative to Antony Robinson at left back. I feel like we have our pair of guys there, now.
My son's SCCL team played against Richards' younger brother last weekend. He was their best player and scored a pretty goal. We won 4-3 at home and now travel to their place tomorrow for a rematch.

Ream started against Germany. Which was a part of the issue… with Dest replacing Jedi
he was exposed against Sane a bit. Regardless it was a fun first half. More concerning is the dropoff whenever Reyna isn’t playing to the second string.

Chelsea's team reminds me a bit of the USMNT - a bunch of young guys, obvious talent, still all trying to get to know each other, and learn how to play together, after a"generational" turnover in personnel.

Reminds me of SU hoops, too, come to think of it.

I would like to see Tillman and De la Torre play well. Curious how the lineup goes.

Last edited:
Interesting effort against TT who basically played in the box all night then went a man down for half the game..

3 late goals and then somehow only 6 min of stoppage that probably should have been more like 15. Why cant they just go to the method with a real clock that stops .

at one point the passes in the attacking third were like 130 - 1 and that was mid first half..

shots 26-1 . possession must have been like 95%..

I forgot they were playing tonight, so I'll have to watch the replay tomorrow. But looking at ESPN's coverage, Trinidad had to play with 10 men for almost an hour, and it took us until the last ten minutes to finally tire them out. At least they got the job done, and it's good to see Reyna score again, with Balogin getting the assist.

Its always hard to get that first goal man up or not. Once it happened the floodgate opened and we were rolling. We had a ton of opportunities and near misses

Interesting effort against TT who basically played in the box all night then went a man down for half the game..

3 late goals and then somehow only 6 min of stoppage that probably should have been more like 15. Why cant they just go to the method with a real clock that stops .

at one point the passes in the attacking third were like 130 - 1 and that was mid first half..

shots 26-1 . possession must have been like 95%..
Halftime stat had US possession at 75% with zero shots on goal. By the 75th minute it was getting frustrating for me to watch. Glad that they finally started scoring, the last ten minutes were fun.

So I watched the game vs. Trinidad on replay. Didn't think that Malik Tillman or Kevin Parades were particularly effective. Happy to see Reyna get his goal. He looked smooth in the #10 position.

Balogun with a less than impressive game. Pepi looked more dangerous when he was in there, and got his goal. It was interesting seeing Berhalter play the two of them together up front, with Balogun coming in from the left wing.

Defense looked pretty good, although in the second half the midfield began to tire and offered them a bit less protection. Antonee Robinson's goal was a screamer; really well hit. Dest was active and involved, but he needs more of an end product.

Good solid win. We finally did blitz them in the final 10 minutes. Let's see a repeat tomorrow away.

Uhhh...is Dest quitting the team or something? What a meltdown.

that was a debacle once Dest got the Red.. It could have gotten real ugly

I was looking at an advanced stats article on the UK version of ESPN, talking about how the unsung MVPs of European Football are those who advance the balls into dangerous positions.

Mainstream soccer (I.e., not just Barca and Spain) has moved more possession based in the last 10 years, and the counter-press high up the pitch has been in vogue for maybe the last 5 years, where almost everybody does some of it now. Yes, Germans like Klopp were doing it 10 years ago, and Barca nearly 20, but I'm talking about mainstream tactics.

That's how you beat possession dominant teams, by challenging them (in spurts, not continuously) with vigorous pressing to force errors close to the opponent's goal. You can't press all game against better athletes, because eventually you'll tire, and then they can cut you open.

So, anyway, that's a long introduction to this article talking about those guys who don't necessarily score the key goal, but create most of a team's best chances, and forward dribbles and passes into the box. It's like an expected goal and assist concept. Here's a link to the article, which is firewall protected at espn.com

From Doku to Saka: Every Premier League team's "possession MVP"

It's like a press in basketball. You can't do it "balls out" for the whole game, at least not without constant substitutions, like you see in hockey, where they play full bore, but for only a couple minutes at a time.

So, anyway, I'm reading this interesting article, and guys like you'd expect are at the top of the list - Saka (Arsenal), Bruno Fernandez (Man U), Trippier of Newcastle (even though he's a fullback, he gets upfield all the time for them and takes most of their set pieces). There are some surprises like Doku of Man City, despite only playing about half their games is already right at the top. Mbeumo of Brentford is going great.

And then the big surprise - Fulham's and the USMNT's own Antonee Robinson, as Fulham's most important player in aiding their possession, and creating chances for others. This particular quote struck me:

"FULHAM: Antonee Robinson
- Position: fullback
- EPV: 1.92

How's this for an approximation? The average diagonal from a center back is roughly worth about the same as the average intercepted pass. Robinson leads the Premier League with 38 interceptions this season, 13 more than anyone else. All in all, they've added 0.19 EPV, or 0.5% of goal-scoring probability per interception.

Against Liverpool on Sunday, Robinson added more EPV than any other Fulham player: 0.28. Some of the highlights:
  • From passes: 0.13
  • From interceptions: 0.06
  • From blocked passes: 0.06
  • From attempted take-ons: minus-0.03
Robinson intercepted 13 (!) passes against Liverpool, more than double the tally of any other player in any Premier League game this season. And despite that freakish effort, those actions just increased Fulham's probability of scoring a goal by 6%, combined. As these models view the game, everything that happens in and around the box is so much more important than everything else."

Way to go, USA!

I was a little bummed about the AC Milan Yanks were knocked out of the UCL. But then our PSV Yanks played so well and advanced.

Edit: Our Fulham Yanks balled out against Liverpool at Anfield. Ream looked like he was about to go 1-on-1 with Salah a couple of times but played calm-as-you-like defending.

I was a little bummed about the AC Milan Yanks were knocked out of the UCL. But then our PSV Yanks played so well and advanced.

Edit: Our Fulham Yanks balled out against Liverpool at Anfield. Ream looked like he was about to go 1-on-1 with Salah a couple of times but played calm-as-you-like defending.

Yeah, Fulham, especially when they are healthy, is a pretty fun watch. Both of them are having pretty seasons.

I was looking at an advanced stats article on the UK version of ESPN, talking about how the unsung MVPs of European Football are those who advance the balls into dangerous positions.

Mainstream soccer (I.e., not just Barca and Spain) has moved more possession based in the last 10 years, and the counter-press high up the pitch has been in vogue for maybe the last 5 years, where almost everybody does some of it now. Yes, Germans like Klopp were doing it 10 years ago, and Barca nearly 20, but I'm talking about mainstream tactics.

That's how you beat possession dominant teams, by challenging them (in spurts, not continuously) with vigorous pressing to force errors close to the opponent's goal. You can't press all game against better athletes, because eventually you'll tire, and then they can cut you open.

So, anyway, that's a long introduction to this article talking about those guys who don't necessarily score the key goal, but create most of a team's best chances, and forward dribbles and passes into the box. It's like an expected goal and assist concept. Here's a link to the article, which is firewall protected at espn.com

From Doku to Saka: Every Premier League team's "possession MVP"

It's like a press in basketball. You can't do it "balls out" for the whole game, at least not without constant substitutions, like you see in hockey, where they play full bore, but for only a couple minutes at a time.

So, anyway, I'm reading this interesting article, and guys like you'd expect are at the top of the list - Saka (Arsenal), Bruno Fernandez (Man U), Trippier of Newcastle (even though he's a fullback, he gets upfield all the time for them and takes most of their set pieces). There are some surprises like Doku of Man City, despite only playing about half their games is already right at the top. Mbeumo of Brentford is going great.

And then the big surprise - Fulham's and the USMNT's own Antonee Robinson, as Fulham's most important player in aiding their possession, and creating chances for others. This particular quote struck me:

"FULHAM: Antonee Robinson
- Position: fullback
- EPV: 1.92

How's this for an approximation? The average diagonal from a center back is roughly worth about the same as the average intercepted pass. Robinson leads the Premier League with 38 interceptions this season, 13 more than anyone else. All in all, they've added 0.19 EPV, or 0.5% of goal-scoring probability per interception.

Against Liverpool on Sunday, Robinson added more EPV than any other Fulham player: 0.28. Some of the highlights:
  • From passes: 0.13
  • From interceptions: 0.06
  • From blocked passes: 0.06
  • From attempted take-ons: minus-0.03
Robinson intercepted 13 (!) passes against Liverpool, more than double the tally of any other player in any Premier League game this season. And despite that freakish effort, those actions just increased Fulham's probability of scoring a goal by 6%, combined. As these models view the game, everything that happens in and around the box is so much more important than everything else."

Way to go, USA!
In a game that often sees 0-2 goals you cant have anything that adds too much to the goal chances because they dont score enough.. If teams were scoring 10 even then 10% adds a chance of 1 more goal when 1 is a normal number anything you can only add so much. the key is if you get 2-3 guys doing it I guess.

In a game that often sees 0-2 goals you cant have anything that adds too much to the goal chances because they dont score enough.. If teams were scoring 10 even then 10% adds a chance of 1 more goal when 1 is a normal number anything you can only add so much. the key is if you get 2-3 guys doing it I guess.

Yes, but the regular season is almost 40 games long. So a couple percent better chance of scoring or generating an assist means another 2 or 3 goals over the course of a season attributable to just the one guy.

Obviously, there are about 15-20 guys who play regularly over the course of the season for most teams, so the point is that if you can generate goal opportunities from your midfielders, and not just possess and recycle the ball, then your strikers will be more effective, and you will see more goals up and down your lineup.

Yes, but the regular season is almost 40 games long. So a couple percent better chance of scoring or generating an assist means another 2 or 3 goals over the course of a season attributable to just the one guy.

Obviously, there are about 15-20 guys who play regularly over the course of the season for most teams, so the point is that if you can generate goal opportunities from your midfielders, and not just possess and recycle the ball, then your strikers will be more effective, and you will see more goals up and down your lineup.
Reyna to Fiorentina???

I would love it but not sure it is a great move for him.

Nico Gonzalez is best player on team and a winger.

Buonaventura is entrenched at the 10. I don’t see Reyna displacing him. If they continue to advance in Europe and in the Coppa Italia he would play hut if it is one game a week it could b problematic.

Maybe left wing? Not his best spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom