2023 USMNT | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

2023 USMNT

Just a terrible look from Berhalter, making this into a much bigger issue than it ought to be.

Call Reyna, or his manager, and arrange a sit-down dinner and talk it out. Done.

This makes it look like he's either afraid to confront Reyna, or else he still has too much of a grudge against him for what happened. Neither one is good.

Just a terrible look from Berhalter, making this into a much bigger issue than it ought to be.

Call Reyna, or his manager, and arrange a sit-down dinner and talk it out. Done.

This makes it look like he's either afraid to confront Reyna, or else he still has too much of a grudge against him for what happened. Neither one is good.

He shouldn’t even address this with the press

Shockingly interesting first roster under GGG. It's a shame Josh Sargent got hurt.

GGG eta part 2 got off to a shockingly positive start for me, I wouldn’t change anything about the roster all things considered (injuries). Hopefully we get this Reyna saga settled and we can move forward. The next 12 months are massive for this club.

He shouldn’t even address this with the press
He should be fired for raising it with the press. How will players who aren’t in his inner circle ever trust him if he continues to air dirty laundry?

Watching the men’s team against UZB today. I can’t recall a team more passive after scoring an early goal.. let’s hold on to a 1-0 lead for 80 minutes in a friendly! Great strategy Greg. The team is learning and growing soooooo much in this one.

Hiring triple-g is going to set this program back a decade. They have soooooo much talent going forward but he insists on playing out to the wings where it is easy to bottle them up

If they don't adapt or develop more every team has the blueprint. Stay back because the US can't pass well and hit them on the counter.

Gregg is too rigid about everyone being in position to play the ball out from the back.
People who have been watching top level football know that you have to be more flexible and have to mix it up a bit. Even teams like Man City are playing a bit more direct.

Gregg is too rigid about everyone being in position to play the ball out from the back.
People who have been watching top level football know that you have to be more flexible and have to mix it up a bit. Even teams like Man City are playing a bit more direct.
He's a complete idiot and his actual track record of managing is abysmal.

If they don't adapt or develop more every team has the blueprint. Stay back because the US can't pass well and hit them on the counter.

A big part of "moving the ball faster" is to move it into the midfield "in between spaces", not just up the wings, or sideways at the back, with the odd long diagonal ball when the back line gets bored with the lack of progress.

It's perplexing how much better the A team looked with Callaghan vs Greg.

It's perplexing how much better the A team looked with Callaghan vs Greg.
Gregg is a rigid tactician and his club sides failed to score goals. Tbh look at world cup qualifying. Bulk of goals came in 2-3 games.

Gregg is a rigid tactician and his club sides failed to score goals. Tbh look at world cup qualifying. Bulk of goals came in 2-3 games.

Oh I know and see it. It's just maddening maybe is the better term.

Oh I know and see it. It's just maddening maybe is the better term.

Berhalter is almost identical to Southgate for England. Both built new cultures for the next generation national team and replaced the old guard. Both faced hostile press, and won them over with their generally genial demeanor, and doing team building stuff at the center of it all, to create an e'sprit de corps.

Both are too conservative offensively, as these generations of talented young players have learned how to compete, but now need to learn how to excel. It seems like their players have both outgrown the ability of their coaches.

In England, Euro 24 is the likely end for Southgate, and the FA is putting out feelers to Guardiola.

If Brazil is being coached by Carlo Ancelotti in WC 26, then the England squad is probably Pep's best choice. He has been coaching there for years, has been exceptionally successful and really know the player pool. Imagine his legend if he coaches England to their 2nd World Cup triumph.

So, who would be that kind of candidate - but gettable, of course - for the US?

Let's say that Behalter fails to get out of the group stage at Copa America 24. He can't possibly keep his job in that circumstance for 2 more years. If we play flat, with sterile possession but not enough real threat going forward, then who is the person who can bring that to the US MNT?

The federation is going to say that whoever the coach is has to know MLS, since that's the backbone of where the player pool first gets identified. They go off to Europe earlier and earlier, but they get "found" mostly in MLS and their academies, and I suppose now in the NCAA, too. The college game is quite good quality, and has lots of international players these days.

Tata Martino with Messi at Miami is going to resurrect his coaching career. Could he be good enough? He has international experience coaching Argentina, Mexico, and a so-so stint at Barcelona.

Are other MLS coaches like Oscar Pareja, Peter Vermes, Steve Cherundolo or Caleb Porter viable choices?

Jesse Marsch is out there, and might be a good choice. We would be more "high energy", but his Leeds teams were awfully leaky at the back, and he didn't seem that tactically astute. Is Marcelo Bielsa a possibility?

DeZerbi at Brighton seems like he coaches very exciting well organized attacking football, basically a better version of Graham Potter, who also strikes me in the tepid mold of a Gareth Southgate or a Gregg Berhalter.

Edit: It looks to me like DeZerbi is going to have a good year at Brighton this year. They are off to a flying start. But let's say they taper off, due to European commitments and an untimely injury to what is not as deep a squad as it was last year. His move to bigger European clubs might be on hold, and a 2 year run with a talented US squad at home for the WC could be very tempting. I like him as a coach.

Last edited:
Watching the men’s team against UZB today. I can’t recall a team more passive after scoring an early goal.. let’s hold on to a 1-0 lead for 80 minutes in a friendly! Great strategy Greg. The team is learning and growing soooooo much in this one.
So, I wasn't particularly interested in watching us play a friendly against one of the Stans and did so only out of obligation (like watching our football team during the Gerg years).

Very glad I did. Some interesting things.

We went with our standard 4-3-3 but did so with an offensive trident and De La Torre as the 6. De La Torre as the 6 meant that we were really playing with a regista. That is not the historical role of the 6 under GGG (or any other manager for that matter). Our 6 is usually a ball-winner.

I saw two immediate impacts of that change.

One, was the increased fluidity of our offense. I thought DLT did a really job of linking D and O and making the correct decisions when on the ball. We scored in the 4th; hit the post in the 16th and generally looked dangerous. Then, as CRV pointed out, it petered out. What CRV failed to mention (and, to be fair neither did the color guy on TNT), the petering out coincided with DLT getting hurt and having to exit and the insertion of Tessmann. With Tessmann at the 6, the offensive fluidity was lost. If you noticed, when first inserted the team continued to try to play through the 6 with Tessmann acting as regista. However, as the game progressed, the team bypassed Tessmann altogether and played more direct (later stages of the second half when we started looking more dangerous again).

The other impact was on our defense. De La Torre is not a ball-winner. We got absolutely carved open when we turned the ball over. Not sure Adams would have stopped all of them but he is so good at both anticipating and covering ground that he would have snuffed out a number of them. He also tends to sit in front of the center backs whereas DLT was much more penetrating and tended to be further upfield. If we are going to play with a regista, we are going to have to make some defensive adjustments because, as we saw during the World Cup, a better team will cut us to pieces.

I also saw a lot more player movement outside their "zones". Pulisic popping up in the center, Weah coming all the way over the left. And also players switching roles. No idea how much of this was intentional or what the plan was. Almost impossible to tell on TV. Will need to see more games to try to understand what GGG is actually trying to do.

I really like Balogun. He is very comfortable dropping between the lines and combining. His exiting at halftime further compounded our offensive issues. At one point in the second half, the color guy said that Pepi hadn't seen much of the ball but that it wasn't his fault. Well, Pepi is also not comfortable dropping between the lines. He seems to be almost exclusively a finisher.

A few other random thoughts. McKennie's touch, other than the one on the goal, was awful. He had a rough night. Pulisic also did not have a good night. Our service into the box remains awful. I thought Richards was very good. I wish GGG would invert Dest and Robinson and have Dest play higher up. He is just so dangerous.

Now looking forward to the Oman game just to see what carries over, if anything, in terms of strategy as I suspect that Oman will also play with that really low block. Although, with DLT out, not sure there is another player on the roster who can play that regista role.

Berhalter is almost identical to Southgate for England. Both built new cultures for the next generation national team and replaced the old guard. Both faced hostile press, and won them over with their generally genial demeanor, and doing team building stuff at the center of it all, to create an e'sprit de corps.

Both are too conservative offensively, as these generations of talented young players have learned how to compete, but now need to learn how to excel. It seems like their players have both outgrown the ability of their coaches.

In England, Euro 24 is the likely end for Southgate, and the FA is putting out feelers to Guardiola.

If Brazil is being coached by Carlo Ancelotti in WC 26, then the England squad is probably Pep's best choice. He has been coaching there for years, has been exceptionally successful and really know the player pool. Imagine his legend if he coaches England to their 2nd World Cup triumph.

So, who would be that kind of candidate - but gettable, of course - for the US?

Let's say that Behalter fails to get out of the group stage at Copa America 24. He can't possibly keep his job in that circumstance for 2 more years. If we play flat, with sterile possession but not enough real threat going forward, then who is the person who can bring that to the US MNT?

The federation is going to say that whoever the coach is has to know MLS, since that's the backbone of where the player pool first gets identified. They go off to Europe earlier and earlier, but they get "found" mostly in MLS and their academies, and I suppose now in the NCAA, too. The college game is quite good quality, and has lots of international players these days.

Tata Martino with Messi at Miami is going to resurrect his coaching career. Could he be good enough? He has international experience coaching Argentina, Mexico, and a so-so stint at Barcelona.

Are other MLS coaches like Oscar Pareja, Peter Vermes, Steve Cherundolo or Caleb Porter viable choices?

Jesse Marsch is out there, and might be a good choice. We would be more "high energy", but his Leeds teams were awfully leaky at the back, and he didn't seem that tactically astute. Is Marcelo Bielsa a possibility?

DeZerbi at Brighton seems like he coaches very exciting well organized attacking football, basically a better version of Graham Potter, who also strikes me in the tepid mold of a Gareth Southgate or a Gregg Berhalter.

Edit: It looks to me like DeZerbi is going to have a good year at Brighton this year. They are off to a flying start. But let's say they taper off, due to European commitments and an untimely injury to what is not as deep a squad as it was last year. His move to bigger European clubs might be on hold, and a 2 year run with a talented US squad at home for the WC could be very tempting. I like him as a coach.
The USSF could have hired Tata before GGG and chose not to. I don't think the power wants an ESL coach.

So, I wasn't particularly interested in watching us play a friendly against one of the Stans and did so only out of obligation (like watching our football team during the Gerg years).

Very glad I did. Some interesting things.

We went with our standard 4-3-3 but did so with an offensive trident and De La Torre as the 6. De La Torre as the 6 meant that we were really playing with a regista. That is not the historical role of the 6 under GGG (or any other manager for that matter). Our 6 is usually a ball-winner.

I saw two immediate impacts of that change.

One, was the increased fluidity of our offense. I thought DLT did a really job of linking D and O and making the correct decisions when on the ball. We scored in the 4th; hit the post in the 16th and generally looked dangerous. Then, as CRV pointed out, it petered out. What CRV failed to mention (and, to be fair neither did the color guy on TNT), the petering out coincided with DLT getting hurt and having to exit and the insertion of Tessmann. With Tessmann at the 6, the offensive fluidity was lost. If you noticed, when first inserted the team continued to try to play through the 6 with Tessmann acting as regista. However, as the game progressed, the team bypassed Tessmann altogether and played more direct (later stages of the second half when we started looking more dangerous again).

The other impact was on our defense. De La Torre is not a ball-winner. We got absolutely carved open when we turned the ball over. Not sure Adams would have stopped all of them but he is so good at both anticipating and covering ground that he would have snuffed out a number of them. He also tends to sit in front of the center backs whereas DLT was much more penetrating and tended to be further upfield. If we are going to play with a regista, we are going to have to make some defensive adjustments because, as we saw during the World Cup, a better team will cut us to pieces.

I also saw a lot more player movement outside their "zones". Pulisic popping up in the center, Weah coming all the way over the left. And also players switching roles. No idea how much of this was intentional or what the plan was. Almost impossible to tell on TV. Will need to see more games to try to understand what GGG is actually trying to do.

I really like Balogun. He is very comfortable dropping between the lines and combining. His exiting at halftime further compounded our offensive issues. At one point in the second half, the color guy said that Pepi hadn't seen much of the ball but that it wasn't his fault. Well, Pepi is also not comfortable dropping between the lines. He seems to be almost exclusively a finisher.

A few other random thoughts. McKennie's touch, other than the one on the goal, was awful. He had a rough night. Pulisic also did not have a good night. Our service into the box remains awful. I thought Richards was very good. I wish GGG would invert Dest and Robinson and have Dest play higher up. He is just so dangerous.

Now looking forward to the Oman game just to see what carries over, if anything, in terms of strategy as I suspect that Oman will also play with that really low block. Although, with DLT out, not sure there is another player on the roster who can play that regista role.

Great observations! I've been kind of neutral on De La Torre, but yes, he was very good at keeping the ball moving offensively and made some very nice passes.

I also agree that he's not a defensive stopper. Adams is great at that, and put up really elite numbers in the Premier League last year for his defensive play.

Tessman was just terrible. Very nervous on the ball, just a body out there. I don't need to see him again for a while.

Agree about McKennie's touch; not his best. Pulisic's set piece deliveries are routinely poor. I get that he's "The Man", and he dispatched that penalty nicely. Let him do that, but keep Aaronson or others (like Reyna, if he can ever stay healthy) on the free kicks and corners.

Oman Thoughts...

We played much better against Oman although Oman was clearly a step down from Uzbekistan so was tough to say if it was the team or the opponent.

Same formation, 4-3-3, but with a defensive trident with McKennie and Musah as dual 6s and Tillman as the 10.

Once again, tough to say if formation or opponent but McKennie had a great game (although those long diagonals will not be there against better opponents). McKennie and Musah also look more comfortable playing a little deeper. Once again, was that them or just an opponent giving up much more space. Don't know.

Once again, we looked much more fluid with Balogun. He is so comfortable dropping between the lines and receiving the ball, even with pressure. And, if there is no pressure, he can also pick out a pass. That basically gives us an extra guy in midfield to play through. Once again, the color guy mentioned how much better we looked in the first half but once again gave no reason as to why.

I think Richards and Robinson are the centerback pairing of the future. Just my opinion. They, also my opinion, make playing with three centerbacks more feasible if we ever want to go to a 3-5-2. Dest has played wingback. Weah and McKennie are both playing wingback for Juve. Robinson could play wingback. Gives us formation options.

Pulisic with another forgettable night. He is playing so well for Milan so I did not see these two performances coming. Perhaps a hint of tired legs getting 90 each game versus virtually no PT last year?

Tillman did nothing to stand out but did not show that he did not belong. But it was Oman. Need to see him against better competition.

I also really liked what they were able to do with Ortiz. She basically sat right next to bench and could hear everything GGG was saying so, as she passed along tidbits to the booth, one could try to compare what the team was doing with what GGG was asking and also gain at least some understanding of in-game tactics.

Thought Lund did fine. Does a nice job getting forward and has better touch than Robinson.

Horvath distribution so much better than Turner's.

What I would like to see GGG do in the next two friendlies is do some experimentation in midfield. Get DLT the start to see if he can be effective against higher level competition. We know what MMA can do. We also know that you cannot go with MMA only in a tournament. So we need to figure out our options in midfield and what adjustments we will need to make if, for example, we start DLT as the regista.

The problem with Oman and 'Stan is that they do not prepare you for Copa America. What works against them may not work against better sides.

I don't care whether we win or lose these next two friendlies but I do want to see us try and learn some things.

It would also be nice if Reyna were healthy so he could be slotted in so he could get some work with Balogun, DLT etc...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom