2023 USMNT | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

2023 USMNT

Reminder: USMNT plays Canada tonight at 8 pm on FS1 in a Gold Cup quarter. Seems to me the US, Canada and Mexico are by far the best three teams in the tournament, not sure why this game is being played so early.

Article on Canada.

Looks like former SU start Kamel Miller is still on the team but Buchanan is not. This article explains why.

with it being a DH in Cincy maybe they wanted to try and give the game a chance to finish in mostly daylight. Only an hr between games so if thats 7pm local 9ish if the game runs long?

I never need to see Neal in the starting 11 again

Think he just needs to mature a bit, physically and experience wise. He has done some good work.

Yeah he needs to develop more. Miazga was God awful at times in group play too.

Reynolds and Miazga woof...
Yeah...for any defensive depth going forward...Need to look overseas. I get that this was the C team basically and a couple guys look “active”, but the skill from the back and midfield was grim

Miles with 2 uncharacteristic plays in the box. He has to clean that up.

Vasquez does well had a super sub... such a big target up top and does well in the air.

Busio should've had at least one before the equalizer.

Miazga... another yuck.

Robinson has been very careless

I found the pitches to have been slow, probably from the heat and humidity. I saw Mexico yesterday leave a lot of diagonal passes from midfield too short for attacking players on the wings, and Costa Rica was jumping that pass well. Laying sod over field turf yields a field with dead spots, and that seem slow overall.

Yeah...for any defensive depth going forward...Need to look overseas. I get that this was the C team basically and a couple guys look “active”, but the skill from the back and midfield was grim

Reynolds has potential and we know Miles is better than this. Miles needs to get a gig overseas though.

Honestly you really can't get it done with MLS defenders anyways for the most part. They lack the experience against that elite pace that you find in the European leagues.

I like the potential of seeing what Ferreira, Vazquez, Busio and Cowell can do mixed in as subs for the main squad. Other than that only Miles to me besides MT of course makes any sense to see outside of when the B team is required for now. Maybe guys like Zendejas, Slonina etc can keep growing for future opportunities.

Last note is I think we have depth from the overseas pool before we even start talking about these guys so we are in good shape. Again so long as Greg doesn't screw it up. Liked a lot of what we saw under BJ this summer.

Not a great game, overall. We're kind of seeing the limits of some of these "B List" guys. Not a lot of consistency from the group, but we're scraping by. Matt Turner was great with those 2 penalty saves, especially the 2nd one after Vazquez missed his penalty.

Cowell looked strong, determined and dangerous.

Yep. Said it a few times but worth repeating is that he is everything we hoped Morris would be. He's got a lot of potential.

This B team is just terrible

As a whole, they may not win the Gold Cup. And that would be a shame, the lost momentum.

But this squad is giving some guys a chance to earn their spot on the "A Team". I think that several guys have done that.

After a whole week of training, I thought we would have seen a more fluid offense. Canada, even without their European players, have a well-organized press which we saw against Cuba.

We could have used a guy like Ricardo Pepi, who has 7 goals in 16 appearances, and played pretty well in Europe last year with 12 goals in 29 games. But I guess he's in pre-season now at PSV Eindhoven.