2023 USMNT | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

2023 USMNT

Hard for me to imagine that there was no better choice.
Right now, we don't know who the other candidates were.

I don't think they wanted to rehire Berhalter but I will speculate that a lack of interest from clearly better candidates combined with the support of most of the team mainstays were the deciding factors.

Astute observation. Noticed that immediately. He has the ability to drop between the lines and receive the ball at pace with his back to goal and maintain possession or get fouled. That creates the ability to make that little back pass to advancing mid and the immediate diagonal to spring the winger. Our other #9s have not demonstrated that ability. It makes a huge difference.

I'll provide more detailed thoughts later.
So...let's start with Mexico. I don't follow them a ton so don't know if this was their first choice line-up or not but not having Lozano clearly made Mexico much less dangerous. They are a different team with him. If this was their first choice line-up, definitely concerning that they rely so much on one player to be dangerous.

No idea if our tactics were Berhalter or Callahan but Reyna is definitely the missing link in midfield. So smooth on the ball and he was clearly given the freedom to roam to get on the ball wherever and whenever necessary. His set piece delivery is tremendous. Reyna, Adams and Musah\McKennie give us a helluva midfield with all the characteristics needed to be successful. Add Balogun, Pulisic and Weah up top and we have the makings of a team with a lot of speed, skill and options.

Dest got zero playing time for Milan this year but maybe playing against Leao everyday is turning him into a better 1 v 1 defender. Jedi is solid as were both Robinson and Richards. Turner starts because of his shot-stopping ability but he has to get better with his feet.

I don't think I've ever seen us dominate Mexico like we did on Thursday.

I thought our tactics were very different against Canada. In qualifying we dominated possession and got caught on counters. Lats night we let them have possession (although, to be fair, that was also a function of the early goals and scoreline) and forced them to break us down. Thought Aronson did as good a job as you could helping Scally with Davies. And then dropping Weah the last 20 was also key.

If injury-free, I think we know our line-up, know our formation. Now we can use the Gold Cup to find depth.

Once I hear who the other candidates were for the job, I can comment on whether I think Berhalter is the right choice. I have my doubts that his coaching is up to the level this team needs to take it to the next level next year or in '26.

Hopefully, Germany brings a full-strength team in October as that will be a terrific measuring stick.

Don't get me wrong... happy with the result! 2nd half (especially the final 20-30 minutes) just was a bit of a let down after what we've seen the previous game and a half. Greg better not mess this mojo up...
We did have an few opportunities to extend the lead in the 2nd half too though, Balo nearly had a brace on the Pulisic corner. But I agree, when Reyna wasn’t able to come back out for the 2nd half it felt like our offense went stagnant.

Right now, we don't know who the other candidates were.

I don't think they wanted to rehire Berhalter but I will speculate that a lack of interest from clearly better candidates combined with the support of most of the team mainstays were the deciding factors.
Patrick Viera and Jesse Marsch were the 2 other confirmed names.

We did have an few opportunities to extend the lead in the 2nd half too though, Balo nearly had a brace on the Pulisic corner. But I agree, when Reyna wasn’t able to come back out for the 2nd half it felt like our offense went stagnant.
Not exactly Conte and Guardiola. If that was as good as we could expect to get, I am fine staying with Berhalter.

The issue with GB for me was forcing MLS players onto the team/pitch because they were "in form". Like being in form in MLS means anything

Shaq Moore and Ferreria specifically last cycle.

Not exactly Conte and Guardiola. If that was as good as we could expect to get, I am fine staying with Berhalter.
Guardiola previously stated he’d like to coach the USMNT before he retires, his City contract expires in 2025, if GGG stumbled at the copa america next summer let’s hope we’re ready to open up the wallet. But back to the main point, I agree, I’d have liked to go in a different direction but it’s not as if GGG doesn’t belong in the same sentence as those guys, all 3 of them are very comparable. However i’m still very concerned about GGGs stubbornness and not believing in playing a 10. Gio is proving to be one of the best players on the pitch and he’s doing so at the 10 spot, can GGG adjust?

The issue with GB for me was forcing MLS players onto the team/pitch because they were "in form". Like being in form in MLS means anything

Shaq Moore and Ferreria specifically last cycle.
Shaq Moore over Joe Scally should be considered a war crime.

Shaq Moore over Joe Scally should be considered a war crime.
I think the worse crime was not deviating from the starting lineup at all other than at striker and cb. That’s insane for a World Cup… by the Netherlands game the team lacked sharpness and was fatigued especially in the midfield. Good World Cup managers use their entire squad… I remember during japorea Arena did an amazing job of squad rotation.

Also… I don’t know who to blame, but under berhalter the team struggled to generate chances. Actually, I’ll stop beating the dead horse since I have no control over what the federation does. I just hope berhalter is learning some lessons so I can actually enjoy watching games again like I have the past two.

I think the worse crime was not deviating from the starting lineup at all other than at striker and cb. That’s insane for a World Cup… by the Netherlands game the team lacked sharpness and was fatigued especially in the midfield. Good World Cup managers use their entire squad… I remember during japorea Arena did an amazing job of squad rotation.

Also… I don’t know who to blame, but under berhalter the team struggled to generate chances. Actually, I’ll stop beating the dead horse since I have no control over what the federation does. I just hope berhalter is learning some lessons so I can actually enjoy watching games again like I have the past two.
Same on the last part. I’ve been telling anyone that would listen how annoyed I am about the rehire, but at this point all we can do is hope GGG is watching what we were able to do these last 2 games and finally adapts to what this team can do.

We took 6 of 11 spots and probably could make an argument for more...

I wasn't a big fan of the last 20 minutes or so of play plus the substitutions and assignments... pretty much parked the bus. Dropped Weah to right back.
De La Torre stunk it up in the second half but I understand why he replaced Reyna (who looked to be limping badly after the game).

Thought Pepi’s work rate was poor for someone subbed on with less than 20 minutes to play.

I could also be unfairly comparing his performance to Balogun’s. I’ve usually enjoyed watching Pepi at striker; against Canada was the first time I thought he was meh.

De La Torre stunk it up in the second half but I understand why he replaced Reyna (who looked to be limping badly after the game).

Thought Pepi’s work rate was poor for someone subbed on with less than 20 minutes to play.

I could also be unfairly comparing his performance to Balogun’s. I’ve usually enjoyed watching Pepi at striker; against Canada was the first time I thought he was meh.

De la Torre seemed OK to me. Not great but had his moments. Pepi worked back on defense a lot- given we parked things for the last 20 mins everyone looked a little meh late.

De la Torre seemed OK to me. Not great but had his moments. Pepi worked back on defense a lot- given we parked things for the last 20 mins everyone looked a little meh late.
The goal of the next 12 months before copa has to be to find backups for pulisic, Reyna, Weah and Antonee Robinson where the drop off in performance isn’t so steep. And berhalter has to find a way to get a lineup built around Reyna as the pivot.

We might have seen the backup to Reyna with a full squad in Musah. That’s what they trotted out against England and that worked out okay… if we had Balogun we probably would have scored a goal or two. I never want to see a usmnt team again where the striker’s main role is not to score.

The thing with MLS players is that they don't have such pressure week to week like the euro based guys. So when the level is a huge step up like WC, you just don't know what you're going to get.

A few looked better than I expected (Walker Zimmerman) and others stunk (Jesus Ferreira, Shaq Moore etc).

The goal of the next 12 months before copa has to be to find backups for pulisic, Reyna, Weah and Antonee Robinson where the drop off in performance isn’t so steep. And berhalter has to find a way to get a lineup built around Reyna as the pivot.

We might have seen the backup to Reyna with a full squad in Musah. That’s what they trotted out against England and that worked out okay… if we had Balogun we probably would have scored a goal or two. I never want to see a usmnt team again where the striker’s main role is not to score.

This win was good to do it without Adams, Mckennie and Dest. Agree we need a striker to be scoring unless we need to maintain a leas then I want someone committed to tracking back. Balogun is the ideal guy for 70 minutes. Pepi is a great option to bring in for the last 20. Again how Pepi plays that last 20 may vary but he is capable of whatever we need of him.

To me adding Balogun and the development of such a young team paired with finding the ideal role for Reyna - puts this teams fate on the ability of Greg to not screw it up more than anything. Reyna hopefully isn't going to keep dealing with injuries and thus things are settled and his role cemented.

We now have a few years to see who breaks through to put pressure on getting a chance or slotting as a clear backup to those mentioned.

This win was good to do it without Adams, Mckennie and Dest. Agree we need a striker to be scoring unless we need to maintain a leas then I want someone committed to tracking back. Balogun is the ideal guy for 70 minutes. Pepi is a great option to bring in for the last 20. Again how Pepi plays that last 20 may vary but he is capable of whatever we need of him.

To me adding Balogun and the development of such a young team paired with finding the ideal role for Reyna - puts this teams fate on the ability of Greg to not screw it up more than anything. Reyna hopefully isn't going to keep dealing with injuries and thus things are settled and his role cemented.

We now have a few years to see who breaks through to put pressure on getting a chance or slotting as a clear backup to those mentioned.
Plus 1000 to all of this. Gregg has been handed a really dangerous team that can either become truly world class or drop down to concacaf bully based on the fine tuning he does. I hope the powers that be are watching him every closely because outside of copa we are going to have enough competitive matches to judge him based on results alone. The free flowing style of play and in game tactical flexibility we have seen the last two matches and the domination of the other team are the minimum standard moving forward.

Astute observation. Noticed that immediately. He has the ability to drop between the lines and receive the ball at pace with his back to goal and maintain possession or get fouled. That creates the ability to make that little back pass to advancing mid and the immediate diagonal to spring the winger. Our other #9s have not demonstrated that ability. It makes a huge difference.

I'll provide more detailed thoughts later.

Balogan is a bit like peak Jozy Altidore in that regard, except Balogan has more lateral quickness and so far seems to make more and better runs off the ball.

Jozy could retain, turn and get off driving shots, but was beefier, like a Junior Romelo Lukaku.

Balogan has all of that in his kit bag, but makes great diagonal runs in the box, and is more active looking for space than either of the other 2 guys. Very impressed.

Plus, Pepi did a fine job in his cameo. He's super-motivated, too. And didn't a couple other guys like Dike have pretty good years in the Championship, and lower European leagues?

I feel like moving Reyna to a more central role, and having a couple legitimate guys at the 9 makes this a really dangerous, Top 10 type of offense and midfield in the World.

We need work on defense, and more depth at the left and right back positions (Scally was pretty good, especially for a 20 year old), but we are shaping up as a dangerous squad to maybe make the Final Four of Copa America next summer.

Horrible hire, for many reasons.

GGG would never have put out this starting XI. We would have seen Roldan, Zardes, Morris, Long, Arriola, Acosta.

No, I think one of the conditions of Gregg's rehire is to add a couple more assistant coaches to diversify the input into his game tactics.

The new GM of the program said in an interview that they are especially looking for an assistant who can bring some new ideas to the offense, as well as another defensive assistant, and maybe replacing the set plays coach that they hired last year. Gregg is going to skip Gold Cup to put together a new staff, under the supervision of the GM.

Gooch Onyewu is tasked with being the connective guy to be able to talk to the players and get their input for the national program management, kind of like Petr Cech was the player liaison to management at Chelsea.

If they do the things they say they're going to do, they are indeed focused on reaching the next level, and giving him the resources to do it (while also acknowledging that he could use some tactical help).

I think the Berhalter haters out there should give him credit for successfully implementing the kind of system Jurgen Klinsmann had hoped to do.

In Klinsmann's defense, he inherited a squad that played the "old" US style of defend, fight in midfield and hope to hit on the counter. Guys like Michael Bradley and Jermaine Jones were not really built for the modern game, as it has changed in the last 10 years.

And to Klinsmann's detriment, I think it's pretty clear that he was neither the hands-on teacher Gregg or Jurgi Low were, nor did he have Low's tactical sense. Gregg lacks a bit of Low's tactical sense, too.

Gregg did not foresee that the Netherlands recognized that our midfield was a meat grinder - so they simply passed over it, to put our defense under more direct pressure. Instead of having only Adams as our holding defensive mid, Musah should have stayed back too. But Van Gaal lured us into attack, drew us forward, and then threw it out deep to the wings into open space to bypass our midfield and create one-on-one runs against our defenders.

But that could be a major turning point in teaching him that he has more to learn. It could make him a bit humble that he could be better at these things.

As much as Pulisic and McKennie came out publicly for Gregg, you had Joe Scally saying "He could work on simplifying some of his instructions, and realize this is a national team, not a club team."

Players, generally speaking can't take on all that information in such a short time in a 2 week international window. We maybe didn't play instinctive enough on offense because everyone is always concerned with taking up proper positions on the field instead of just attacking the opponent's goal.

On the other hand, this is the upside to coaching continuity right now, because he has implemented a whole new system unlike what the US has ever done before - although they were smart enough to make the stylistic change based around young US guys playing in Europe, where they are being trained in this style already.

So think about how having the same message sometimes gets stale when a coach stays too long; this time it might actually be to the team's benefit to better take on new more sophisticated concepts (at least for some of them ...).

And remember, Gregg has been our winningest coach, ever. And he did it building a new team from scratch. I feel like he has done an excellent job at recruitment and creating a culture. He froze out some guys that were talented (Brooks, Reyna), but were maybe a bit prima donnas.

That's not a bad thing, though. I just saw a Twitter clip of Weston McKennie apologizing to his team for getting a red card and missing the Canada final, and saying he hoped we all would learn from that, and not repeat his mistake. But he ended by saying, "There are enough great players in this room that I feel confident we are going to go out and win this game and raise that trophy."

Also hearing the Twitter leak of Pulisic saying to the team before the Mexico game, "We are NOT the ing underdogs against these guys any more. Let's go out there and make a statement!"

That is the kind of culture that Gregg Berhalter has played a huge part in building, by trusting an entire new generation of young American talent to grow into their own leaders. And it seems to be successful, because I honestly never remember such a talented US team before, from front to back.

Last edited:
Horrible hire, for many reasons.

GGG would never have put out this starting XI. We would have seen Roldan, Zardes, Morris, Long, Arriola, Acosta.
Zardes and Arriola didn't even make the World Cup team and Long and Roldan never saw the field during the World Cup.

Only player who saw the field was Acosta in two sub appearances totaling 40 minutes.

None of these guys would have started the Nations League game.

You don't like the hire? Fine. But state facts. Not bullsh!t.

Balogan is a bit like peak Jozy Altidore in that regard, except Balogan has more lateral quickness and so far seems to make more and better runs off the ball.

Jozy could retain, turn and get off driving shots, but was beefier, like a Junior Romelo Lukaku.

Balogan has all of that in his kit bag, but makes great diagonal runs in the box, and is more active looking for space than either of the other 2 guys. Very impressed.

Plus, Pepi did a fine job in his cameo. He's super-motivated, too. And didn't a couple other guys like Dike have pretty good years in the Championship, and lower European leagues?

I feel like moving Reyna to a more central role, and having a couple legitimate guys at the 9 makes this a really dangerous, Top 10 type of offense and midfield in the World.

We need work on defense, and more depth at the left and right back positions (Scally was pretty good, especially for a 20 year old), but we are shaping up as a dangerous squad to maybe make the Final Four of Copa America next summer.
Agree with all of this. Jozy is a poor (maybe very poor) man's version of Lukaku.

As with everything, final four next year depends on group and matchups but I would think the minimum expectation is to get out of the group.

No, I think one of the conditions of Gregg's rehire is to add a couple more assistant coaches to diversify the input into his game tactics.

The new GM of the program said in an interview that they are especially looking for an assistant who can bring some new ideas to the offense, as well as another defensive assistant, and maybe replacing the set plays coach that they hired last year. Gregg is going to skip Gold Cup to put together a new staff, under the supervision of the GM.

Gooch Onyewu is tasked with being the connective guy to be able to talk to the players and get their input for the national program management, kind of like Petr Cech was the player liaison to management at Chelsea.

If they do the things they say they're going to do, they are indeed focused on reaching the next level, and giving him the resources to do it (while also acknowledging that he could use some tactical help).

I think the Berhalter haters out there should give him credit for successfully implementing the kind of system Jurgen Klinsmann had hoped to do.

In Klinsmann's defense, he inherited a squad that played the "old" US style of defend, fight in midfield and hope to hit on the counter. Guys like Michael Bradley and Jermaine Jones were not really built for the modern game, as it has changed in the last 10 years.

And to Klinsmann's detriment, I think it's pretty clear that he was neither the hands-on teacher Gregg or Jurgi Low were, nor did he have Low's tactical sense. Gregg lacks a bit of Low's tactical sense, too.

Gregg did not foresee that the Netherlands recognized that our midfield was a meat grinder - so they simply passed over it, to put our defense under more direct pressure. Instead of having only Adams as our holding defensive mid, Musah should have stayed back too. But Van Gaal lured us into attack, drew us forward, and then threw it out deep to the wings into open space to bypass our midfield and create one-on-one runs against our defenders.

But that could be a major turning point in teaching him that he has more to learn. It could make him a bit humble that he could be better at these things.

As much as Pulisic and McKennie came out publicly for Gregg, you had Joe Scally saying "He could work on simplifying some of his instructions, and realize this is a national team, not a club team."

Players, generally speaking can't take on all that information in such a short time in a 2 week international window. We maybe didn't play instinctive enough on offense because everyone is always concerned with taking up proper positions on the field instead of just attacking the opponent's goal.

On the other hand, this is the upside to coaching continuity right now, because he has implemented a whole new system unlike what the US has ever done before - although they were smart enough to make the stylistic change based around young US guys playing in Europe, where they are being trained in this style already.

So think about how having the same message sometimes gets stale when a coach stays too long; this time it might actually be to the team's benefit to better take on new more sophisticated concepts (at least for some of them ...).

And remember, Gregg has been our winningest coach, ever. And he did it building a new team from scratch. I feel like he has done an excellent job at recruitment and creating a culture. He froze out some guys that were talented (Brooks, Reyna), but were maybe a bit prima donnas.

That's not a bad thing, though. I just saw a Twitter clip of Weston McKennie apologizing to his team for getting a red card and missing the Canada final, and saying he hoped we all would learn from that, and not repeat his mistake. But he ended by saying, "There are enough great players in this room that I feel confident we are going to go out and win this game and raise that trophy."

Also hearing the Twitter leak of Pulisic saying to the team before the Mexico game, "We are NOT the ing underdogs against these guys any more. Let's go out there and make a statement!"

That is the kind of culture that Gregg Berhalter has played a huge part in building, by trusting an entire new generation of young American talent to grow into their own leaders. And it seems to be successful, because I honestly never remember such a talented US team before, from front to back.
This is a phenomenal post.

States good and bad about Berhalter and shows understanding of nuance.

Great point about the Netherlands adjusting their style of play after seeing what we did to England's midfield and Berhalter not being able to adjust to their adjustment. England was the only team who tried to compete with us head-on and it almost cost them.

We actually just did the same thing to Canada.

There are a whole lot of posters in this thread who should taking posting lessons from you.

Last edited:

Who should not have started and, just as important, who should the replacements have been?

And please don't say Reyna.

The Nations League Reyna is not the same Reyna we saw for 45 minutes vs the Netherlands.

As you point out in a different post, the drop-off from starter to sub is pretty big for a lot of positions.

Tough to not go with your best in must-win games.

Musah is not a 10. If anything, he is the backup to Adams if Adams is out. Otherwise he is the 8.

Someone with the ability to unlock a packed-in defense was not needed against England because they went toe to toe with us and that is the perfect opponent for an MMA midfield. Given how that game was played having two 8s and the 6 worked.

It did not work against the Netherlands because neither Musah nor McKennie have the ability to unlock a defense.

Who should not have started and, just as important, who should the replacements have been?

And please don't say Reyna.

The Nations League Reyna is not the same Reyna we saw for 45 minutes vs the Netherlands.

As you point out in a different post, the drop-off from starter to sub is pretty big for a lot of positions.

Tough to not go with your best in must-win games.
When I mentioned that Berhalter didn't call in enough people in a different thread, this was my point. I should have phrased it as Berhalter never gave enough people an honest chance to succeed with his spastic approach to trying out new players.

He called in all these people, yet he never built a framework to determine whether he could trust them in the WC and as a result he had a squad of 22 where he didn't trust the bottom 10 to see the field. He enforced such tactical rigidity that a lot of players didn't perform up to their club level... imagine if he actually adjusted his tactics to their skill sets instead of plugging them into the same exact tactical framework as the first 11 played even though their strengths/weaknesses are completely different.

One reason we were so successful in Japorea was that Arena built a squad of 23 where he was willing to play any of those 23 in any match. Are we saying that we could build a squad of 23 in 2002 but 20 years later we couldn't do the same?