2023 Yankees Season | Page 68 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Yankees Season

I might need to find a new hobby, Yankee baseball is not good for my health.

I'm pretty sure that Lawson was on the chopping block once their superstar rookie had his swing fixed by his AA teammate and Aaron Hicks embarrassed the front office by showing he was still a perfectly cromulent outfielder for the 2nd place Orioles.

I don't know how much pull or command these guys have in implementing their system. I doubt a guy like Judge has his swing re-tooled by whoever the hitting coach is at the time. But I do think that guys who are struggling or the Yankees think they can improve/fix are told do something repeatedly until it works for them (focus on bat speed, launch angle, and swinging at strikes). And when it doesn't work, say to the detriment of OBA and lots of weak grounders, the hitting coach is the guy to target.

However, this team is full of aging vets and never has beens, it's hard to make that work. Ten years ago, the Yankees rolled out the ghost of Ichiro! combined with Jayson Nix, Eduardo Nunez, Veron Wells, Travis Hafner, Lyle Overbay and Chris Stewart to support Robinson Cano’s walk year* and Rivera's last season. But they won 85 games so ... yay? Every season it's a rotating cast of old timers as a shell of their former selves and AAAA players to fill in for injured superstars making superstar money.

*And then let Cano walk for NOTHING knowing full well that they were going to low-ball him and not re-sign him.

*And then let Cano walk for NOTHING knowing full well that they were going to low-ball him and not re-sign him.

They offered Cano a pretty meaty 7 year deal. He took a 10 year deal with Seattle for less money per year.

At least Seattle got 5 good years from him before pawning him off to the Mets.

I'm pretty sure that Lawson was on the chopping block once their superstar rookie had his swing fixed by his AA teammate and Aaron Hicks embarrassed the front office by showing he was still a perfectly cromulent outfielder for the 2nd place Orioles.

I don't know how much pull or command these guys have in implementing their system. I doubt a guy like Judge has his swing re-tooled by whoever the hitting coach is at the time. But I do think that guys who are struggling or the Yankees think they can improve/fix are told do something repeatedly until it works for them (focus on bat speed, launch angle, and swinging at strikes). And when it doesn't work, say to the detriment of OBA and lots of weak grounders, the hitting coach is the guy to target.

However, this team is full of aging vets and never has beens, it's hard to make that work. Ten years ago, the Yankees rolled out the ghost of Ichiro! combined with Jayson Nix, Eduardo Nunez, Veron Wells, Travis Hafner, Lyle Overbay and Chris Stewart to support Robinson Cano’s walk year* and Rivera's last season. But they won 85 games so ... yay? Every season it's a rotating cast of old timers as a shell of their former selves and AAAA players to fill in for injured superstars making superstar money.

Lots of good points. Not sure he’d have the patience or tolerance for it but from an approach standpoint I think Paul O’Neil would make a great hitting coach. At least I get that impression listening to him during broadcasts.

Lots of good points. Not sure he’d have the patience or tolerance for it but from an approach standpoint I think Paul O’Neil would make a great hitting coach. At least I get that impression listening to him during broadcasts.
Paul ain’t spending 9 months a year away from home.

They offered Cano a pretty meaty 7 year deal. He took a 10 year deal with Seattle for less money per year.

$65m is a lot of chicken teriyaki. He said in September that he wanted 10 years and didn't want to have to get a new contract in his late 30s. They offered 7 and said take it or leave it.

But my point has nothing to do with the Cano money, but with the fact that it's been 10 years since then and we're still getting a rotating cast of cast-offs, never has beens, and washed up former stars to replace the injured superstars. Then it was Jeter's penultimate year and ARod's war with mgmt over his hip and roids. Then they went out and signed Ellsbury with Cano's money and ran back the same players with different names. Instead of reading the writing on the wall and GASP, taking a year off to flush out bad contracts, and re-set the farm system, Cashman went after band-aids in order to secure an 85 win season. Whoopity do.

I'm probably biased though. I started following the Yankees as a kid in the 80s and saw the same crap and then when Gene Michael and Bob Watson re-vamped the team in the 90s, they built a juggernaut. Cashman has just been repeating the 80s and not the 90s. But I know that it's not as easy as just collecting some prospects and magically turning them into a 4-time championship team, most prospects never turn out to be anything. But after a decade plus of Cashman's band-aid rosters churning out teams who can win just enough to make the playoffs, but look pedestrian next to good teams, I've had enough.

$65m is a lot of chicken teriyaki. He said in September that he wanted 10 years and didn't want to have to get a new contract in his late 30s. They offered 7 and said take it or leave it.

But my point has nothing to do with the Cano money, but with the fact that it's been 10 years since then and we're still getting a rotating cast of cast-offs, never has beens, and washed up former stars to replace the injured superstars. Then it was Jeter's penultimate year and ARod's war with mgmt over his hip and roids. Then they went out and signed Ellsbury with Cano's money and ran back the same players with different names. Instead of reading the writing on the wall and GASP, taking a year off to flush out bad contracts, and re-set the farm system, Cashman went after band-aids in order to secure an 85 win season. Whoopity do.

I'm probably biased though. I started following the Yankees as a kid in the 80s and saw the same crap and then when Gene Michael and Bob Watson re-vamped the team in the 90s, they built a juggernaut. Cashman has just been repeating the 80s and not the 90s. But I know that it's not as easy as just collecting some prospects and magically turning them into a 4-time championship team, most prospects never turn out to be anything. But after a decade plus of Cashman's band-aid rosters churning out teams who can win just enough to make the playoffs, but look pedestrian next to good teams, I've had enough.
Been following this thread leisurely, but he did try to go the young guy route in 2016-18. Judge was the only player who turned out to reach his potential in the group of he, Bird, Frazier, and Sanchez. Torres has arguably been worse than projected.

I do agree Cashman has been there long enough. 26 years is a long time to be a GM of one team no matter where you are.

Yup Yankees offered higher AAV but less years. After the self inflicted bid against yourself ARod debacle Cashman was dead set against 10 year deals

Been following this thread leisurely, but he did try to go the young guy route in 2016-18. Judge was the only player who turned out to reach his potential in the group of he, Bird, Frazier, and Sanchez. Torres has arguably been worse than projected.

I do agree Cashman has been there long enough. 26 years is a long time to be a GM of one team no matter where you are.
That youth movement starting in 2015 led to 3 of their best 5 teams since 2009. I'll argue that Gleyber has been adequate. He's got the 7th most fWAR of second basemen since he debuted (the rest of whom are also well behind No. 1 Marcus Semien).

Hal and Cashman have known each other for 40 years, Cashman's dad was a horce racing friend of George Steinbrenner. It's hard to be very objective when everyone is basically family running the family business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom