2023 Yankees Season | Page 69 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Yankees Season

But after a decade plus of Cashman's band-aid rosters churning out teams who can win just enough to make the playoffs, but look pedestrian next to good teams, I've had enough.
Agreed, 99 wins was unacceptable!

I dont really care how many wins the team gets in the RS. I want to at least make the WS every decade.
You didn't get the limited edition 2022 Season 99 Wins and a Ring Ain't One t-shirt and hat?

They set the world on fire in the first half and then stumbled to a .500 record in the 2nd half despite having a ~$270m payroll and one of the greatest offensive seasons in modern baseball.

You didn't get the limited edition 2022 Season 99 Wins and a Ring Ain't One t-shirt and hat?

They set the world on fire in the first half and then stumbled to a .500 record in the 2nd half despite having a ~$270m payroll and one of the greatest offensive seasons in modern baseball.
They won 99 games. That is a fact. Call me “stupid,” but I’ll always judge a team on how they do over larger sample sizes.

I dont really care how many wins the team gets in the RS. I want to at least make the WS every decade.
Winning 99 out of 162 games is more impressive to me than winning 11 out of 19 in the postseason. I guess I am weird.

They won 99 games. That is a fact. Call me “stupid,” but I’ll always judge a team on how they do over larger sample sizes.
Like the 2nd half when they were not good? Or the first half when they had a .700+ winning percentage?

For this season, did you expect them to perform like they did in the first half of last season, or the second half? Did you think they would win 95+ games again this season? What about next season? It's Ok to have an opinion about the future, no one is calling you stupid.

That youth movement starting in 2015 led to 3 of their best 5 teams since 2009. I'll argue that Gleyber has been adequate. He's got the 7th most fWAR of second basemen since he debuted (the rest of whom are also well behind No. 1 Marcus Semien).

Hal and Cashman have known each other for 40 years, Cashman's dad was a horce racing friend of George Steinbrenner. It's hard to be very objective when everyone is basically family running the family business.
The bottom line for Hal is the team is competitive enough to be in the playoff chase, avg. 40k+, and sell a lot of merch and chicken buckets. Unless those variables change Hal doesn't care if they win a WS and won't hit the Cohen luxury tax level.
20051931-standard.jpg

Like the 2nd half when they were not good? Or the first half when they had a .700+ winning percentage?

For this season, did you expect them to perform like they did in the first half of last season, or the second half? Did you think they would win 95+ games again this season? What about next season? It's Ok to have an opinion about the future, no one is calling you stupid.
I don’t make predictions, but I do feel comfortable that the team is going to win more than it loses and often be among the best teams in the league. I’ve been able to count on that for thirty years. No other fan base can say that. I do not love Cashman. I think he has met at least the minimum standards for a Yankee GM. I cannot relate to the angst all of you feel.

Hal doesn't care if they win a WS and won't hit the Cohen luxury tax level.
I don't even care if they hit the Cohen luxury tax level. I think that they pay too much for underperfoming players and then complain about not being able to pay for players and that its the fans fault for not supporting the team. Cashman claims to be a smart analytically minded GM, but he does a lot of stuff that contradicts that. No one put a gun to Cashman's head to acquire Donaldson, give a 6 year contract to a 32 yo DJLM, or acquire Stanton, or $30m to two closers.

40 Man Roster (after ASG)

Pitchers (20)
Domingo German
Michael King
Clay Holmes
Luis Severino
Tommy Kahnle
Gerrit Cole
Carlos Rodon
Wandy Peralta
Nick Ramirez
Ian Hamilton
Albert Abreu
Clarke Schmidt
Ron Marinaccio
Jhony Brito [SWB]
Deivi Garcia [SWB]
Greg Weissert [SWB]
Matt Krook [SWB]
Randy Vasquez [SWB]
Anthony Misiewicz [SWB]
Yoendrys Gomez [Somerset]
Jonathan Loaisiga [60 Day DL]
Frankie Montas [60 Day DL]
Lou Trivino [60 Day DL]
Scott Effross [60 Day DL]
Ryan Weber [60 Day DL]
Nestor Cortes, Jr. [60 Day DL]
Luis Gil [60 Day DL]
Jimmy Cordero [Restricted]

Catchers (3)
Jose Trevino
Kyle Higashioka
Ben Rortvedt [SWB]

Infielders (7)
Anthony Volpe
Isiah Kiner-Falefa
Gleyber Torres
DJ LeMahieu
Josh Donaldson
Anthony Rizzo
Oswald Peraza [SWB]

Outfielders (10)
Harrison Bader
Giancarlo Stanton
Franchy Cordero
Billy McKinney
Oswaldo Cabrera
Everson Pereira [SWB]
Willie Calhoun [10 Day DL]
Greg Allen [10 Day DL]
Jake Bauers [10 Day DL]
Aaron Judge [10 Day DL]

The Pinstripes are now tainted with common advertising. Next thing you know, the Yankees will bunt runners over to 3rd base.

A $7+ billion dollar entity with little debt and they need to shill for some insurance company for what, a few hundred K?

A $7+ billion dollar entity with little debt and they need to shill for some insurance company for what, a few hundred K?
Helps keep a few more nerds on the payroll.

for what, a few hundred K?
I suspect it is more than that.

This article is from 2022, but:

According to Sport Business Journal, the price for a jersey patch sponsor could be as high as $20 million for some teams.

“Most teams have had substantial conversations in the market about their patches or are at the finish line, waiting for the final word from the league," said one veteran West Coast MLB team marketer. "There’s a lot of media value and the money is real -- the average team should get $8 or 10 million."

I suspect it is more than that.

This article is from 2022, but:

According to Sport Business Journal, the price for a jersey patch sponsor could be as high as $20 million for some teams.

“Most teams have had substantial conversations in the market about their patches or are at the finish line, waiting for the final word from the league," said one veteran West Coast MLB team marketer. "There’s a lot of media value and the money is real -- the average team should get $8 or 10 million."
Gotta be closer to 20 million than a few hundred K

I hate the advertising, hate it. I understand it's a sign of the times and everyone is doing it but the Yankees have been and should always be above that stuff on the uniform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom