2024 Fall Ball | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Fall Ball

Hiltz looks like he slimmed down. Looking for him to have a big season.

It looks like the defenseman guarding him is wearing #17. I'm guessing that's Donny Scott, but could be very wrong.

Also Jack Schell was tagged in the pics wearing #36, so I am guessing John Mullen changed his.

Are we expecting Angelo to be the no. 2 FOGO? Need to have a second guy to keep Mullen effective. Fine and Richiusa were no better than ok the year prior.

Also Fine, Richiusa and Lamonaca are all listed as seniors on the roster. No FOGOs in next year's Class either. Maybe a transfer or two at that spot next year?

Don't sleep on Nate LeVine here, he's also got a big frame at 6'3 210 and he was the starter next to Carter Rice last year. He wasn't perfect last year but he showed flashes. Definitely needs to work on his speed/agility.

I think LeVine keeps his spot next year, but after him it seems wide open. Last year it didn't seem like anyone could lock down their spot after Carter Rice. It's been discussed ad nauseum, but I don't think it's a bad thing if there is new blood in the mix next year. Jake Spallina seemed a little overmatched last year, and he's not very big (5'10 174). I love Hottle, but his size will be exploited at least once a game. I hope they move him to offense where he could maybe be more of a two-way player.

Really love the size of some of these new players. White seems like a player who is flying under the radar - a four star player who re-classed and then I think was injured his senior season. Also didn't realize Schell was such a big kid, weighing in at 220.

Obviously it's not just size that comes into play when you want a good SSDM. You have to be super athletic. With the new players that question remains open.
I hope LeVine comes back and crushes it, but he is vulnerable. Thoughts on the new transfer? I know White + Hunter have the size, skills, and speed to be a ACC SSDM’s but I couldn’t find any recent film on Schell to know how quick he is (most recent film is sophomore year that I could find).

I think Rice, LeVine, Ochoa plus an underclassmen realistically round out the top four

I hope LeVine comes back and crushes it, but he is vulnerable. Thoughts on the new transfer? I know White + Hunter have the size, skills, and speed to be a ACC SSDM’s but I couldn’t find any recent film on Schell to know how quick he is (most recent film is sophomore year that I could find).

I think Rice, LeVine, Ochoa plus an underclassmen realistically round out the top four

I wish there was more tape on Ochoa. I certainly like the size, but other than that, for me at least (I did not watch a lot of St. John's games last year), there isn't much to go on. I think he must have been brought in for a reason so I think he'll be in the mix for playing time. Agree with your breakdown of who has the inside track for playing time. It certainly helps to have a player like Rice on the field. They definitely need to develop some younger guys, given that Rice and LeVine are both seniors.

5. Will Syracuse Take the Next Step?
The most ambitious Syracuse fans won’t be satisfied with the pace of improvement during Gary Gait’s tenure, but the Orange have been on track each of the last three seasons. They went from “old and missing the NCAA Tournament” in his first year to “young and missing the NCAA Tournament” in his second year to “making the NCAA Tournament and winning a game” in his third. Prior to 2024, IL identified the team’s threshold as the Quarterfinals, and the Orange fell flat vs. Denver on the season’s penultimate weekend.

For 2025, the threshold is the Final Four, where the Orange resided for 22-straight years from 1983 to 2004. Now, Joey Spallina and Co. are trying to get 'Cuse back there for the sixth time in the last 20 tournaments. Based on being No. 2 in IL's Way-Ahead Rankings, we think they should.

We had our Alumni Game last night. From the wrap-up on our board:
Starters -
A - Millon, Sunderland, Ryan Colsey
M1 - Schutz, Mencke, Terenzi or Hackett
M2 - Balsamo, Browne, "assorted others"
D - Fulton (covered Cormier), Hublitz (covered Shellenberger), Snyder (covered Dickson); Schroter wasn't dressed
G - Nunes (from the description, he played like he had his mojo back)
LSM - Wayer
SSDM - Lagunowich, Browne (among others)

The legendary lax youtuber huntva released this footage of Hopkins v. Air Force. Hop appears to go with at least some starters the whole time and they lose 7-6. Not worth reading into that much, especially with all their new faces, but hard to ignore Melendez still looking timid and slow off the dodge, even against short sticks. Some kind of injury has really compromised his burst from the 2023 season.

Same quality footage from huntva, but less screaming psychos in the crowd compared to his old videos. In those even the scrimmages had some hop fan Karens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom