2024 New York Mets Thread | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

2024 New York Mets Thread

Mets pitchers and catchers do a horrible job holding on baserunners. If I'm the Cardinals (or any other team) I would be running on them all day.

Mets pitchers and catchers do a horrible job holding on baserunners. If I'm the Cardinals (or any other team) I would be running on them all day.
The Mets really confuse me... they have had issues holding runners on base and they have had trouble with a pretty pathetic batting line up for what seems like years now because they are so bipolar. The confusing part is that these issues span ownership groups, GMs, managers, coaches and players. They have had half a season in the last half dozen or so where their offense could be called good. I can't ever remember their pitchers being able to hold people on base, but before it didn't matter as much because they limited the guys that got on base with very good control.

Is it the water? Not sure how to understand these long term trends. I really hope the next generation of Mets leaders are more consistent and more well rounded or this franchise will continue to go nowhere fast.

Much needed after sitting through the SU-BC women's lacrosse game:

- Quintana pitches 8 innings and convinces his manage to finish the 8th with a strikeout. He gave up just one win.

- Lindor ties the game with a home run.

- Baber, down to the team's last strike, gets single, (the first hit in 14 team ABs with runners in scoring position), to tie it up again the 11th.

- Vientos hits walk-off homer to win it and avoid the sweep.

It's even worse looking at what Quintana and Severino did in the next two games. Senga and Magill can't get back too soon.
Severino pitched a one hitter through 8... and the Mets lost.

The pitching is not the main problem given how good the team ERA is... the problem is the same problem this team has had for years: the bats can't bat with any consistency.

The pitching is not the main problem given how good the team ERA is... the problem is the same problem this team has had for years: the bats can't bat with any consistency.

It's hard to be consistent when you are a hitting a moving round ball with a round bat but you aren't going to win too many games with 1 run. I wonder how much Alvarez's injury hurt them - and how much Martinez has left.

On Ryan Clifford: "He’s a power-over-hit guy who swings very hard, all the time, without a two-strike approach; his chase rate is 16 percent before he gets to two strikes and 43 percent in two-strike counts. His pitch recognition is also poor, as he pretty much hunts fastballs and doesn’t pick up spin or changes of speed. I sort of get the hype, as he clearly has plus-plus raw power, but he’s a long way from getting to it in games with this approach and swing."

"It’s hard to find paths for playing time for Vientos. He plays third base and first base. As long as J.D. Martinez is healthy, designated hitter opportunities are hard to come by. Pete Alonso plays every day at first base. At third base, Brett Baty received the first crack as the starter, and though his bat has slowed after a hot start, Stearns likes how Baty has improved defensively and called the development “really encouraging.” Regarding Baty’s offense, Stearns said it’s important for young players to receive time that allows them to fight through tough stretches."

“Initially, I thought the ball was hit a little bit harder than it was,” Wendle said. “By that point, I had already set my feet and committed to trying to turn a double play. If you hesitate there and try to do something else, then it doesn’t work. It was the decision I made and, unfortunately, the wrong one.”

The ump blew a call on a strike with the leadoff batter in the eighth that should have struck him out. He later was walked.

And then defensive replacement Joey Wendle could have gotten the runner trying to score at home but opted to try and get a double play. And bumbled the ball in his glove long enough to prevent that from happening.

Just an unfortunate series of issues led to the run for the Cubs.

Diaz gave up a home run almost immediately in the ninth to give the game away. He has been struggling for a while now. Not the same pitcher he was last year so far. Hopefully he will dial it back in soon.

Not sure if this team is going to be good offensively.

I was surprised when the Mets signed Martinez. Was down with giving the DH job to Vientos and seeing what the kid has. I thought the play was to see if he was a player at the MLB level.

If he proved he can hit in the big leagues, great. Make him the full time DH. If Pete has a bad walk year or wants a crazy amount of money to re-sign, trade Alonso or just don't re-sign him and make Vientos the 1B.

Hopefully Marte returns soon and helps spark this offense. So many runners get left in scoring position so often. It is hard to watch.

It's hard to be consistent when you are a hitting a moving round ball with a round bat but you aren't going to win too many games with 1 run. I wonder how much Alvarez's injury hurt them - and how much Martinez has left.
But the top tier teams or contenders seem to have at least two or three reliable hitters at the heart of our lineup. The issue with the Mets is that heart of their line up is too inconsistent... looking at you Peter, Lindor, and McNeil. Those three have proven, at least to me, that they can't combined to form the heart of a lineup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom