2024 - Portal Tracker | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

2024 - Portal Tracker

I trust our staffs’ evaluation of these guys than anyone who gets to see YouTube videos. The coaches are lifers. They have been sizing up who can play and who can’t since they started playing pickup ball. They’ve done/are doing their due diligence. They will take the best guy who will have us.

I trust our staffs’ evaluation of these guys than anyone who gets to see YouTube videos. The coaches are lifers. They have been sizing up who can play and who can’t since they started playing pickup ball. They’ve done/are doing their due diligence. They will take the best guy who will have us.
You make it sound like it’s their job and they have more invested in it than we do.

Guy looks like a player to me.
Kentucky thinks so, too. Freeman is a stud. At one point there was talk of him testing the NBA.

On the one hand, he’ll also have teammates far more equipped to help take some of the defensive attention away from him. They were obviously overmatched against those schools.

On the other hand, it’s disappointing that someone we’re entrusting to be our main decision maker/maybe main scorer couldn’t even lead his team to victory against the likes of the MAAC. It’s obviously a team game and he wouldn’t be the first good player to play for a losing team but you would kinda think if your primary ball handler/scorer is ACC starter caliber, you’d have more success than they did against frankly terrible D1 teams.

It’s a mixed bag of high impact small school txfrs who actually won at previous stops. Mack at Harvard didn’t for example even if competition is better there it’s not a giant jump. Freeman played for a Milwaukee team that was 5th in the Horizon for instance…

To me Leffew is your classic late bloomer and did pretty well as handling PG duties for the first time in just his second year starting. Big thing is he plays with his head up all the time is long and rangy and reaction and footwork on D is sound. Coached up at this level and hopefully it clicks

maybe westry has been fully healthy in practice and outperforming the other players who were given the talk?
Westry was working out pre practice at one I attended in January. He looked very good then. He wasn’t practicing with team - just solo working out but he looked like he was nearly at full health then. Obviously big difference between contact and solo drills but he seemed near full speed then. seemed like they were extra cautious with him and just preserved the year of eligibility vs wasting him for a few games at the end. I think he’s a difference maker. He’s a big physical guard who can do a lot.

Westry was working out pre practice at one I attended in January. He looked very good then. He wasn’t practicing with team - just solo working out but he looked like he was nearly at full health then. Obviously big difference between contact and solo drills but he seemed near full speed then. seemed like they were extra cautious with him and just preserved the year of eligibility vs wasting him for a few games at the end. I think he’s a difference maker. He’s a big physical guard who can do a lot.
hmm interesting...personally yeah cant see it as "wasting" a year :rolleyes:

i have no evidence but I think he will be really good too

Believe it or not, Westry was projected as a PG coming out of HS and JJ was listed as SG. Realistically they’re both probably combo guards.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Westry get some run at PG. He did have issues with turnovers, so he’ll only get run there if he can control the ball and limit his turnovers.
I keep hearing this but have seen zero evidence of this except by the recruiting experts here. The same crew that said Marek would run the point at times.

Who has missed 2 years, you can't count on someone like that.

Can he? Sure. Should he? No.

I think we all need to start coming to grips with the fact our PG position won’t be great and won’t fix the inherent issues with the lineup Red’s building.

If he can't find a freaking PG, I will be very disappointed. I mean, come on. He was a star point guard. How can he not get a decent guy?

Chance was 1000% projected as a point/point forward coming out but Doesn’t matter now because that was two years ago I just hope he can contribute.

You’re not 100% wrong, but this is largely the same staff that thought Peter Carey, Justin Taylor and Hima could compete in the ACC. They have been better on guards but I wouldn’t say their talent eval infallible.

So, on the Kadary will enter the portal rumors - does anyone know why? Is he looking for the biggest NIL payday?

I think everyone is a bit too panicky over the possibility of getting Leffew.

I'm fine with Leffew. He's ok. My expectations will be in line with having an "ok" lineup.

It's just a bummer - we're trying to give away the keys to a storied program to be a lead guard and we aren't cashing in at the level that I believe we need to cash in at to elevate us.

Hope I'm wrong, honestly. By the time the season starts, I'll stupidly convince myself that Chris Bell is Klay Thompson and DF is what everyone thought Harry Giles would be pre-injuries. I mean, I'll be an idiot for doing it, but I'll do it.