2024 Preseason Camp Thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Preseason Camp Thread

LT (weatherspoon) LG (Bradford) C (Reed) RG (Petry) RT (Washington)

Interesting! I hear Fran mention mark petry often in regards to leadership, effort etc. I think he is going to stick as starter there. Clearly Fran wants the mountains at tackle with big spoon and Washington both 6’-7” / 6’-8”. I think no one is take reeds center spot. Man that must be tough to be E Cruz and lose your tackle spot after starting - but the cream rises. The depth on OL is insanity compared to our past. We can bring in miller from UGA, E Cruz with a bunch of starts, wohlabaugh with a solid past at UK, Ilao also has experience…. I mean sheesh. This is what Fran’s done in such short time, completely stocked the cupboard at OL in comparison to our past. This is HUGE, as we all know.

It really is. I think we could go 13 / 14 deep, with some level of quality. And that's not including frosh.

Unprecedented.

Very interesting to see Bradford / Petry at guard, with the 1st unit. I had a feeling that Bradford wouldn't relinquish his spot as easily as some expected, but above all else -- iron sharpens iron.

Competition for PT should be fierce, which will help elevate this unit.

May the best players win the PT -- incumbents, transfers -- whatever.

It really is. I think we could go 13 / 14 deep, with some level of quality. And that's not including frosh.

Unprecedented.

Very interesting to see Bradford / Petry at guard, with the 1st unit. I had a feeling that Bradford wouldn't relinquish his spot as easily as some expected, but above all else -- iron sharpens iron.

Petry very consistently has been praised in spring ball and now the summer. He has really turned into a key player. Good for him.

in 2023 our defense had 22 turnovers, tied for 3rd in the country?!? I didn't know that stat and certainly would not have guessed at it. Interesting.
I actually cannot believe that stat in the slightest lol. It felt like every big interception or loose fumble opportunity was dropped or was failed to be recovered last year. Like literally every single one lmao

I actually cannot believe that stat in the slightest lol. It felt like every big interception or loose fumble opportunity was dropped or was failed to be recovered last year. Like literally every single one lmao

It was not 3rd in the country. T-26th

CbusCuse

Unprecedented.

Spoon and Washington don't surprise me at the Tackles - I really do believe they belong at the top of the depth chart.

If Bradford and Petry are able to fend off Hornsby and Miller, then I think that bodes well for all of us.

Ha. Well that makes more sense. Axe was correct on 22 turnovers but tied for 26th in the country or tied for 4th...IN THE ACC. Still not too shabby I guess.

Haha yeah still solid. 13 FR is insane. Turnovers are so unpredictable. The key is to win the battle. Secure the ball and don't make risky throws.

McCord only threw 6 picks in in 348 attempts.

Win the turnover battle every game and I love our chances at double digit wins

Spoon and Washington don't surprise me at the Tackles - I really do believe they belong at the top of the depth chart.

If Bradford and Petry are able to fend off Hornsby and Miller, then I think that bodes well for all of us.
I expected Weatherspoon and Washington to be the starters at OT. They are IMHO just too big and athletic to keep on the bench. But we should not jump to conclusions based on a reporter watching a few minutes of drills. This doesn't mean much right now. Would not be surprised to see E Cruz play some with the first team and probably some others as well (mostly Petry and Miller) as preseason camp continues. And Wohlabaugh was good enough to start at Kentucky as a frosh. If he is 100%, he will surely get a long hard look as well.

So while OT is going to be an interesting competition with a bunch of players who look ready to play, I think OG is where the really interesting competition for starting positions is going to be. Bradford and Petry have the experience edge and are slotted in as starters for today. It appears.

This said, I am confident Miller is going to be a factor here. E Cruz worked here last spring and might crack into the starting lineup at OG. Hornsby might be the most talented OG in the group (but is new to the system and stepping up a level) and I am also a big fan of Moeolo, who didn't play at all last year but is an athletic and mammoth human being.

I wouldn't be shocked if any of these guys end up starting.

My prediction is that the competition at OT and OG will not be settled by the end of the preseason and will spill into the regular season. We might not have a set group of starters for 3 or 4 games. Would not be surprised if a couple players end up splitting time at a position for part or all of the season.

I expected Weatherspoon and Washington to be the starters at OT. They are IMHO just too big and athletic to keep on the bench. But we should not jump to conclusions based on a reporter watching a few minutes of drills. This doesn't mean much right now. Would not be surprised to see E Cruz play some with the first team and probably some others as well (mostly Petry and Miller) as preseason camp continues. And Wohlabaugh was good enough to start at Kentucky as a frosh. If he is 100%, he will surely get a long hard look as well.

So while OT is going to be an interesting competition with a bunch of players who look ready to play, I think OG is where the really interesting competition for starting positions is going to be. Bradford and Petry have the experience edge and are slotted in as starters for today. It appears.

This said, I am confident Miller is going to be a factor here. E Cruz worked here last spring and might crack into the starting lineup at OG. Hornsby might be the most talented OG in the group (but is new to the system and stepping up a level) and I am also a big fan of Moeolo, who didn't play at all last year but is an athletic and mammoth human being.

I wouldn't be shocked if any of these guys end up starting.

My prediction is that the competition at OT and OG will not be settled by the end of the preseason and will spill into the regular season. We might not have a set group of starters for 3 or 4 games. Would not be surprised if a couple players end up splitting time at a position for part or all of the season.
Having a solid top 10-12 would be a luxury, when we've been lucky to have 7 who could play.

Is there a location that has all the post practice interviews in their entirety?

• The Orange’s neutral-site game against UNLV in Las Vegas (Oct. 4) will have plenty of Orange support.​
Neutral site game in Vegas against UNLV?

cbfd5b7c-dd42-4fcd-ac59-04a82b4d6dac_text.gif

I expect the defense to be pretty solid, but it sounds like the offense whipped them today. We will see what happens when the pads are on. I think the offense has so many versatile guys that there will be mismatches against every defense we play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom