2024 Preseason Thread | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Preseason Thread

no one has any idea hoo is going to have top end ssdm units this year. there is no 2022 umd out there? a best case scenario imo are teams that have 4 guys consistently out there. they are attacked too frequently. too often, teams attempt to get away with 3 guys, and that's the indicator that the depth just isn't there. and that those guys will tire, as they'll all have to take 2 runs in a row throughout the game.

typically, you can cover it up a little with a 2 way guy, but it's not optimal. if 'cuse only trusts 3 guys, there can be cause for concern. considering there are at least 2 open spots, really 3, it's impossible to know how they'll play until we see it.

Slides will need to be called out and clear bewh fore they are needed. They cant hesitate or send two (happened alot last year). Hopefully Figueiras will bring IQ and vocals that will help the D (SSDM). Him and Dwan will need to play ahead of their years against the high level teams. Are they capable? I think so but we shall see.

They may need to change the mentality of having a different defensive unit for mandown. I don’t understand how you take out your starters. The offense doesn’t take out the starting attack when they are man up.

With one SSDM likely out for an extended period or the year I would not be surprised if SU gave a few long poles guys a shot at SSDM. I still think Olexxo will ultimately be moved to close but if for some reason he isn't why not give Schmitt a go or even Puckhaber. Would make littel sense to bring these guys in as 5th year grad transfers and then bury them on the bench especially when both come in with high accolades.

SU also needs Titus to be as advertised. He doesn't have to be Ryan Conrad but we need him to play well.

Would say Rice is definitely the best. Not sure why we brought in two quality lsm transfers if we are just going to keep Olexo at LSM. He has quality experience at close from last season and can still push transition when the time comes. I am hoping that the upgrades at long pole help cancel out any downgrades at ssdm, but how do we do that if one or two of them are not even going to play? Would also love to see some two way minutes from English and Stevens. We have a boatload of depth on O and a ssdm problem. Need to use our athletes where they are most needed.

Face off/wing improvement will also help the D. Offensive improvement will help them too. Capitalize our opportunities on O and put the other team on the ropes.

Foy comments should still be taken with a grain of salt, as should anything with this scrimmage.

That's why I believe be it Maryland or Army or even Hop, at some point SU will have to bump Olexxo to close. Wright and Schmitt are excellent LSM's, Schmitt's numbes are ridiculous albeit at a lower level of comp. Let those two run at LSM and go with Figueria, Olexxo and Dwan at Close, gives you two potential lock down close defenders and an emerging guy in Dwan.

I could see Stevens playing some time at SSDM but as I think NYClax or someone else noted he hasn't really played D-middie for extended periods since his frosh year 4 years ago. Unlikely he can play more then spot minutes or maybe 1 to 2 games where his skill forces SU's hand vs say UVA or ND or Duke.

With one SSDM likely out for an extended period or the year I would not be surprised if SU gave a few long poles guys a shot at SSDM. I still think Olexxo will ultimately be moved to close but if for some reason he isn't why not give Schmitt a go or even Puckhaber. Would make littel sense to bring these guys in as 5th year grad transfers and then bury them on the bench especially when both come in with high accolades.

SU also needs Titus to be as advertised. He doesn't have to be Ryan Conrad but we need him to play well.
Rice Titus and Rosa is a start. Really hope it is not one of those guys. But I am sure it is Rice and I am sure he is out for season because that is just what freaking happens to Cuse lax every freaking preseason.

Slides will need to be called out and clear before they are needed. They cant hesitate or send two (happened alot last year). Hopefully Figueiras will bring IQ and vocals that will help the D (SSDM). Him and Dwan will need to play ahead of their years against the high level teams. Are they capable? I think so but we shall see.

They may need to change the mentality of having a different defensive unit for mandown. I don’t understand how you take out your starters. The offense doesn’t take out the starting attack when they are man up.
Maybe our top cover guys and our top zone guys are different players... they're 2 totally different skill sets... if they have 4 poles that can play zone better than the starters then go for it.

The note about the defense is a bit concerning. We heard a lot last year that they weren't "ACC caliber", don't really love hearing that phrase again. Still time to gel and finesse things, I can't imagine it is easy to start over with a new coordinator while incorporating a bunch of new faces. Still, would like there to be more positive comments coming out preseason.

I'm guessing English and Stevens stayed out for precautionary reasons? Don't like to draw too many conclusions (even Terry's "report" is second hand), but perhaps Michigan was taking this matchup a bit more seriously than Syracuse was.

Any word on who the SSDM who was hurt? There isn't much to distinguish our best from our fifth best, but still would hurt to lose someone. Fingers crossed it isn't Carter Rice.

D will have a couple of games to try and work things out/get some chemistry but that stretch starting with Maryland is unforgiving. A new simplified scheme will help but not losing 60%+ of the draws will be the main help. Petro's system was overly complex but you wonder how many games SU lost because the D got bombed but SU was annihilated at the X as well. I look at the ND game as a good example. Game was tied 5+ minutes into the 4th and I think SU ended up losing like 8 straight faceoffs and the score ended up being like 18-11 or something like that.

I know a lot of pundits are high on SU this year but I've been a little more cautious. FOGO, SSDM, third guy at close are major question marks. Foy's comments on hearing the D didn't look ACC ready is definitely concerning. Hoping the first 3 games can help work out some of the kinks but things could get ugly quick as Maryland, Utah (trap game of all trap games) and Army all have potent offenses and great Fogos (save for utah).

P.S. The injured FOGO is not Rice.

Thank you for talking me off the ledge, after the historic run of Melen, Dordevic, Hiltz, and Figueras, I don't think I could handle another massive impact player out for season.

Rice Titus and Rosa is a start. Really hope it is not one of those guys. But I am sure it is Rice and I am sure he is out for season because that is just what freaking happens to Cuse lax every freaking preseason.

It's not Rice. Kempney and Spallina are likely to see sometime at SSDM, how much is unclear but more then probably anticipated prior to the injury. I wouldn't be shocked as I noted before if they bump a long pole to SSDM, to many guys with little path to time at close barring injury.

Seems like we are getting some mixed messaging regarding Titus. US Lacrosse named him a preseason All American, but the head DIII reporter from IL says he doesn't expect him to get much time this year (though he does say nice things about him). This was in response to IL's list of impact DIII transfers. I am guessing it's somewhere in the middle, but curious nonetheless.

Seems like we are getting some mixed messaging regarding Titus. US Lacrosse named him a preseason All American, but the head DIII reporter from IL says he doesn't expect him to get much time this year (though he does say nice things about him). This was in response to IL's list of impact DIII transfers. I am guessing it's somewhere in the middle, but curious nonetheless.

Hmmm that would be an interesting development. I had him likely starting with Rice. Again wasn't expecting Matt Abbott but seemed like SU targeted him to play versus a depth piece.

D will have a couple of games to try and work things out/get some chemistry but that stretch starting with Maryland is unforgiving. A new simplified scheme will help but not losing 60%+ of the draws will be the main help. Petro's system was overly complex but you wonder how many games SU lost because the D got bombed but SU was annihilated at the X as well. I look at the ND game as a good example. Game was tied 5+ minutes into the 4th and I think SU ended up losing like 8 straight faceoffs and the score ended up being like 18-11 or something like that.

I know a lot of pundits are high on SU this year but I've been a little more cautious. FOGO, SSDM, third guy at close are major question marks. Foy's comments on hearing the D didn't look ACC ready is definitely concerning. Hoping the first 3 games can help work out some of the kinks but things could get ugly quick as Maryland, Utah (trap game of all trap games) and Army all have potent offenses and great Fogos (save for utah).

Jeremy, the injured player is a FOGO?

Thank you for talking me off the ledge, after the historic run of Melen, Dordevic, Hiltz, and Figueras, I don't think I could handle another massive impact player out for season.
I forgot about Mellen and Dordevic getting injured. That is a crappy run of injuries.

is chrishawn hunter a o middie? thought he has the size n nice speed to be a dmid? And guess won’t find out who got hurt till game time or does anyone know for sure who it was?

2024 NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Championship Odds

PreseasonTeamDraftKingsFanDuelCaesarsBetMGM
1Notre Dame+500+500+500+400
2Duke+500+500+400+400
3Virginia+475+500+400+500
4Penn State+1400+1600+850+1200
5Maryland+650+650+750+750
6Johns Hopkins+1500+1200+1600+1500
7Cornell+1300+1500+1200+1200
8Army+2500+3000+1500+2000
9Syracuse+1800+1800+1200+2000
10Yale+2000+3000+1600+2000
11Denver+3000+3000+2000+2000
12Georgetown+1600+1500+1600+2000
13Michigan+2500+3000+2800+2000
14Princeton+2000+3000+2500+2000
15Rutgers+2500+3500+1600+2000
16Delaware+5000+6000+3500+3000
17Penn+2000+3000+2800+2000
18Boston University+3000+5000+3500+3000
19North Carolina+2000+3000+2500+3000
20Richmond+5000+10000+4000+5000

If he was the best shorty in D3 then I don't see why he wouldn't be able to at least be on the 2nd line and contribute. Just his experience alone playing college lax at SSDM for 4 yrs. Yes it's a major jump in comp but it comes down to his foot speed. With all his experience if his feet are fast enough to hang with ACC speed then he should be solid for SU. I also do think Spallina will be able to contribute this yr. He's a tough aggressive kid and has some speed. Everyone is forgetting about Trujillo too. The kid was highly regarded coming out of HS from a top program too. Last yr he wasn't strong enough so he got pushed around and which I think it messed with his confidence too. If he worked in offseason in the weight room he can def be a solid contributor too. It's great to have 4 top shortys but most ACC and Big Ten teams don't. Rice is solid and if Titus has the foot speed he will be solid then if Trujillo hit the weight room he can be solid too. U know what u get from Rosa he will play physical and give it his all. Hopefully Spallina is ready to get some run and help out too. As I have said before Stevens is gonna be a two way Zach Currier type player in the PLL so I don't see why he would have any issues dropping back and playing some defense. That is why I think he's on the 2nd midfield line. Say Rosa is the 4th shorty then when needed he can drop back and play some defense for Rosa in big games. If he's needed say say against Duke then we have plenty of firepower on offense to be able to let him drop back on D. Can run Deere out on offense for him or Cordes or the Elijia Brown kid. If Titus and Trujillo step up this yr then that unit will be ok. Maybe not a top unit but hold there own.

We have the confidence, but need to back it up this season. The offense should be settling for nothing less than video game numbers against weak opponents and still hit at the very least 13-15 against tougher defenses. They have the potential for that, but came up short too many times last season. The D may need some time with potential trouble at ssdm and a new DC, but the O has no excuse for anything but coming out of the gates hot. The 4 high impact freshman have a year under their belts. Hiltz is another year removed from injury and both him and Birtwistle are in year 4 with the team. Mule English and Stevens are all high end guys who should fit in with the offense's style. Youth and inexperience are not legit excuses this season.

With some help at the faceoff x, we need to be the team that goes on overpowering runs that tire out and demoralize teams. We can get creative, but need to finish the ball with pride and only get fancy out of necessity. Need to be killers and refuse to lose in close games.

If gaps and issues on D prove to be our achilles heal I can live with that on some level. If the O does not do their part, I would begin to have serious doubts about Gait as a long term coach. I do not get too caught up in what he says or does on the sidelines, but results need to continue trending in the right direction. It was already a pretty darn good offense last year, but there is another gear out there. They have the talent, depth, and experience to be great. We have to see some of that greatness this season.

Sorry to quote myself, but I thought this was really well done by Terry Foy. The analysis he provides about why Mule is such an important addition was really great. He goes way in-depth about how SU can play differently than last season, and open things up for Spallina to get to more favorable spots. I won't try and paraphrase too much because it's really worth reading the entire thing, but having Mule as a second quarterback and someone who can stand behind the goal at X lets Joey attack from the wing, where he is more successful. This is the stuff I wish IL would do more of.

Gait goes out of his way to make sure Petro is well and truly thrown overboard.

"We have a couple other key things that have aligned, and that's the coaching staff — philosophies and styles of coaching have aligned this year, and I think the players are reacting to that.

“So they have more trust in our staff, and more belief in what we tell them,” Gait says. “And I think, obviously, we've worked really hard recruiting the Transfer Portal and young players, and I think we have filled the spots that needed to be filled as far as defense, face-offs, all of those things, so that it's easier for the team to see the results they need to see in order to believe in what we're telling them.”

Very glad things are working out well with Oderina, he seems like a very likeable guy. Not sure if Gait had as many issues with Petro as maybe he intimates, or has just found a convenient fall guy. It does seem like Gait does like to point the finger at others when things aren't working out very well. Some of his press conferences the last couple years, you could feel his frustration coming through the screen, even though all he really talked about was "execution". His tone and manner in the preseason videos I've seen makes me think he's in a much better mood to start the year. Hopefully things stay positive.

I agree with Powellfan that this is an excellent article and worth the time to read. It's interesting how much Terry Foy is writing about us this year, after, if I recall correctly, not ranking us in his preseason poll last year. It's all very well written but I think the most interesting part is the last 2 long paragraphs discussing the integration of the transfer players into the program. I hope Terry's attention to SU lacrosse is a sign of good things to come this year.

Sorry to quote myself, but I thought this was really well done by Terry Foy. The analysis he provides about why Mule is such an important addition was really great. He goes way in-depth about how SU can play differently than last season, and open things up for Spallina to get to more favorable spots. I won't try and paraphrase too much because it's really worth reading the entire thing, but having Mule as a second quarterback and someone who can stand behind the goal at X lets Joey attack from the wing, where he is more successful. This is the stuff I wish IL would do more of.

Gait goes out of his way to make sure Petro is well and truly thrown overboard.

"We have a couple other key things that have aligned, and that's the coaching staff — philosophies and styles of coaching have aligned this year, and I think the players are reacting to that.

“So they have more trust in our staff, and more belief in what we tell them,” Gait says. “And I think, obviously, we've worked really hard recruiting the Transfer Portal and young players, and I think we have filled the spots that needed to be filled as far as defense, face-offs, all of those things, so that it's easier for the team to see the results they need to see in order to believe in what we're telling them.”

Very glad things are working out well with Oderina, he seems like a very likeable guy. Not sure if Gait had as many issues with Petro as maybe he intimates, or has just found a convenient fall guy. It does seem like Gait does like to point the finger at others when things aren't working out very well. Some of his press conferences the last couple years, you could feel his frustration coming through the screen, even though all he really talked about was "execution". His tone and manner in the preseason videos I've seen makes me think he's in a much better mood to start the year. Hopefully things stay positive.
a lot of assumptions on faceoff and its impacts considering no one on the roster has done it at this level.

gait most obviously doesn't believe the contents of his public statements, and any potential blowback from them, are a big deal. maybe they're not. don't agree it's been about "execution", from the jump he said the players weren't good enough. and now...

any new coach coming in, especially as desko's tenure played out at the end, was facing a turnaround and that doesn't happen overnight. '23 was certainly steps in that direction from '22. now, they are facing a big (some might say yuge) jump in expectations, before they've done it. will be interesting to see how it plays out.

a lot of assumptions on faceoff and its impacts considering no one on the roster has done it at this level.

gait most obviously doesn't believe the contents of his public statements, and any potential blowback from them, are a big deal. maybe they're not. don't agree it's been about "execution", from the jump he said the players weren't good enough. and now...

any new coach coming in, especially as desko's tenure played out at the end, was facing a turnaround and that doesn't happen overnight. '23 was certainly steps in that direction from '22. now, they are facing a big (some might say yuge) jump in expectations, before they've done it. will be interesting to see how it plays out.
If the transfer and well regarded freshman both turn out to be whiffs, then I would feel about the same way about that as the defense/ssdm spot. If that is what kills us I can live with it on some level. We did what we could to try and turn things around 180 in a year at the faceoff x, between Kohn and highly regarded wing player Jake Stevens (Matt Wright helps there too). We were able to find some upgrades at LSM and I am sure there was no lack of trying for the few quality ssdms in the portal last season.

What would not be acceptable is not seeing that offense take another step forward with the depth of talent and experience. My highest expectations are for the O, and I am hoping with some progress there we see some more victories. Need more points on the board this season, no matter how things play out on defense and at the X.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom