2024 Preseason Thread | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Preseason Thread

Looks like we will have an interview with Coach Gait pretty soon. Also looks like he is doing his best Roy Simmons III impression with that hair.

SU is behind on that, normally we get a 15+ min PC on media day. Hoping we get some media hits soon.

Im
Not trying to jinx it but isn’t that who, you know Hiltz…..scrimmage….ijury, two years ago ?

One and the same. Unfortunately one of those fluke injuries. History tells us one or two teams this weekend will lose a major piece to injury, hopefully it's not us. SU's had some injury issues the last few years, hopefully they catch a break this year.

One and the same. Unfortunately one of those fluke injuries. History tells us one or two teams this weekend will lose a major piece to injury, hopefully it's not us. SU's had some injury issues the last few years, hopefully they catch a break this year.
Did UMich lose someone last year?

you mentioned like 5 or 6 guys who have never played ssdm in college before, including freshmen and potentially converting another guy from pole to ssdm...thats exactly what it sounds like when you are searching for depth and dont know what it will look like...

since you dont want to watch the highlights ill summarize them for you...#8 got rinsed by no-name army midfielders multiple times and he is supposed to be your best returning ssdm. when you give up 14 and 16 goals to end the season, your shorties are not playing well...and that was with trader and lacey...at least one of them is gone and possibly both. so you are left with 1-2 ssdms with big ten experience and neither of them are all american quality... thats a completely reasonable potential issue to mention in a preview of the team and it has nothing to do with quint being an acc announcer or hopkins alum
Yawn. I am also mentioning 4 guys who have regular D1 experience. It's very common for a team to try to develop ssdms for a coming season, and I am mainly indicating that the Terps have some good possibilities. Both Trace Davidson and George Stamos were 4 star recruits for whatever that is worth.

It's my memory that most of Michigan's scoring was done by their attack. They list the starting attack for Michigan as Clay (4g-2a), Zawada(2g-4a),and Boehm (5g). MIchigan's other attackman, Cohen, who is listed as starting on the midfield had (1g, 2a).
Midfielders: Jackson (0), Thompson (1g), Bonomi (1g), Aronson (0), Mulholland (0).

Why don't you stop trolling.

Yawn. I am also mentioning 4 guys who have regular D1 experience. It's very common for a team to try to develop ssdms for a coming season, and I am mainly indicating that the Terps have some good possibilities. Both Trace Davidson and George Stamos were 4 star recruits for whatever that is worth.

It's my memory that most of Michigan's scoring was done by their attack. They list the starting attack for Michigan as Clay (4g-2a), Zawada(2g-4a),and Boehm (5g). MIchigan's other attackman, Cohen, who is listed as starting on the midfield had (1g, 2a).
Midfielders: Jackson (0), Thompson (1g), Bonomi (1g), Aronson (0), Mulholland (0).

Why don't you stop trolling.
8 was just a freshman it's normal to tire out the end of freshman season plus he will only get better. Trader went from a grueling football season right into lax so he def was probably tired. That's also why I think he might play this yr and just needed a break between football and lax. He can play defense in his sleep so no reason he cant start practicing next week or something and be ready to roll. I'm sure he keeps himself in good shape. With how he lifts that group I can see Tillman having no issues with him taking a break. Also Redd is a solid shorty. Lacy did come from Sacred Heart after playing a lot of lacrosss thru the yrs as Sharkey has too for Vermont. As long as he has the foot speed he will be just fine. He knows how to play the position after so many yrs. If Tillman didn't think he had the ability he wouldn't have got him. Titus on SU is a preseason AA coming from D3. That's a bigger jump then from Vermont. Same with him he's he played it many yrs so as long as he has the foot speed he will do fine. I hope he does as SU really needs him.

Probably the same videos that Jeremy posted, but there is one from Will Mark further down the thread.

Thanks Powellfan. If you could be so kind please post the Mark video. I don’t have a Twitter account so I can’t see it

4. Syracuse
M1 Finn Thomson, Jake Stevens, Michael Leo
M2 Luke Rhoa, Sam English, Jackson Birtwistle

Leo (18G, 8A) and Thomson (19G, 14A) return as first-line middies, and I’ll be interested to see how coach Gary Gait handles integrating Stevens and English. On the basis of how I described him above, it makes sense for Stevens to mesh in as the utility guy with Thomson and Leo, and for English to join Rhoa (10G, 3A) and Birtwistle (27G) to provide more pop to the second unit.

With four attackmen competing for time (Spallina, Hiltz, Mulé and Deere), they could mix one of those guys into a middie line, and keep an eye on Tyler Cordes as an emerging contributor.

4. Syracuse
M1 Finn Thomson, Jake Stevens, Michael Leo
M2 Luke Rhoa, Sam English, Jackson Birtwistle

Leo (18G, 8A) and Thomson (19G, 14A) return as first-line middies, and I’ll be interested to see how coach Gary Gait handles integrating Stevens and English. On the basis of how I described him above, it makes sense for Stevens to mesh in as the utility guy with Thomson and Leo, and for English to join Rhoa (10G, 3A) and Birtwistle (27G) to provide more pop to the second unit.

With four attackmen competing for time (Spallina, Hiltz, Mulé and Deere), they could mix one of those guys into a middie line, and keep an eye on Tyler Cordes as an emerging contributor.

Would say Finn Thomson is more likely the "utility guy" on the first line since he is not a serious dodger. Think it is more likely English plays first line with Leo and Thomson while Stevens is both on the wing frequently and playing second line. Stevens is a solid dodger himself with plenty of speed

Would say Finn Thomson is more likely the "utility guy" on the first line since he is not a serious dodger. Think it is more likely English plays first line with Leo and Thomson while Stevens is both on the wing frequently and playing second line. Stevens is a solid dodger himself with plenty of speed

I agree, I have a hard time seeing English on the 2nd line. I definitely could see Stevens getting some run with the 1's at time but a first line of Thomson, English and Leo makes the most sense to me.

I am not too high on IL's midfield rankings.
I expect UVa to be top 5. UVa seems a little short on two-way middies, but is pretty loaded with excess attackmen. IL seems to be just looking at the offensive midfields.
Maybe you have:
M1: Schutz, Terenzi, Boykin
M2: McIntosh, Sunderland, Chizmar or Menke
Terenzi being a 2-way midfielder to replace Connor. Terenzi red-shirted last year, so we really haven't seen what he can do.

One thing we have to do is try to read between the lines of coach Tiffany's comments:
Terenzi:
2024 – “Joey is being asked to handle both offensive and defensive responsibilities, and he is attacking it as if he was a student pursuing a double major. Joey is splitting his time between Kevin and Kip’s offensive meetings and the defensive meetings run by Logan and myself, and then following up later to ensure he does not fall behind in any area. Joey competes with a joyous warrior spirit. He abandons all inhibitions on the field as he hunts the ball and whoever is carrying it. His spirit is infectious, and his teammates love him for it.”
Translation - We should see a lot of Joey.

Millon:
2024 – “McCabe never stops running, and running fast. With our wearable GPS tracking devices, the man with the highest volume and player load at the end of most practices is McCabe. And he is not just a volume guy. McCabe’s acceleration and top-end speed are scintillating. With every drill, McCabe is pouring his own gas on the fire and bringing everything he has. No wonder he was as highly-touted as he was out of high school. McCabe will be an immediate impact player with our program in his first spring in Charlottesville.”
Translation - Sounds like he will be on the field a lot - attack

I agree, I have a hard time seeing English on the 2nd line. I definitely could see Stevens getting some run with the 1's at time but a first line of Thomson, English and Leo makes the most sense to me.
I am interested in your idea that Thomson, a non dodger, should nevertheless play mid 1 instead of Stevens. Do you think wing responsibilities will tire Stevens? I have watched both Stevens and English for the last few years. Steven's versatility has seemed to relegate him at times to spot appearances. As good as English was when he was healthy, I think Stevens on offense was more dangerous and more athletic. Never seemed to tire. I have not watched Thomson nearly as much as I have watched these two, certainly not enough to judge him, but I think he has not reached the level of competence that either of the grads has achieved. I'm very interested in your comparisons of the three players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom