2024 Preseason Thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Preseason Thread

Syracuse

Syracuse (+1800) will score goals in bunches and they’ve upgraded dramatically in the middle of the field. Naysayers will ask if they have a #1 cover man to handle O’Neil, Shellenberger and Kavanagh in the ACC. Doesn’t matter, Otto will outscore you. Their season total for wins is set at 9.5. Coach Gary Gait’s top 10 on offense will be Joey Spallina, Owen Hiltz, Christian Mule (70 points last year), Finn Thomson, Jake Stevens, Sam English, Michael Leo, Luke Rhoa, Jackson Birtwhistle and Trey Deere.

Face-offs were an issue in 2023 as opponent possession time wore down the SU defense. Tufts transfer Mason Kohn from Torrey Pines, CA could be the solution to rework the math. And if defender Riley Figuerias is close to 100%, I see goalie Will Mark’s save percentage clicking up by 5 percent. New DC John Odierna will simplify schemes and strategize to LSM Saam Olexo strengths. Orange bandwagon is overflowing.

Good stuff. If it's a Jr its most likely Drago. he's the only one who really makes sense as I don't believe Clary is getting run at LSM.

I fully expect Olexxo to end up at close eventually, to many other godo options at LSM with Wright, Schmitt, and now apparently Drago.

Unfortunate news on Mule, wonder if this cracks the door open for Elijah-Brown, though I had heard it was gonna be hard for him to get major minutes and a RS wasn't out of the question.
Kind of missed that news about Mule/Deere. If that third spot is actually between Mule and Deere, then it looks like we are planning on playing Joey more on the right wing since they are both lefties. I thought Spallina may have looked better when dodging along the side of the goal than from x, especially as the year went on. Lets him get involved in more two man game plays as well, which he should only be better at after his summer in the OJLL.

Would of course love to see Deere involved on attack, but last year Gait/March seemed unsatisfied with the lack of serious dodging ability from Simmons and replaced him with Kirst. Not saying that would happen again with Deere, who is a different player, but would not rule out the possibility of a more quality dodging guy taking that third spot eventually.

Do we know if the school does any outreach to the student body and/or to Upstate HS/club teams to help drive attendance? It would be nice to be north of 10K for the mens/women's games against Maryland.

I don't know that Quint's assertion about Maryland:
"My biggest concern would be the SSDM position as Dante Trader is currently focusing on football. Perhaps he comes out for lacrosse in March or April."
will turn out to be correct.

The Terps return 2 regulars from last season: Nick Redd and Eric Kolar. Kolar did a solid job last year as a freshman, and should only improve.
While the Terps lose 5th year transfer, Donovan Lacey, they bring in 5th transfer Colin Sharkey from Vermont - which seems like a wash.

So even if the Terps don't have Dante Trader, they only have to find one ssdm who can play. Josh Coffman is returning for a 6th season, after missing the last 2 seasons with knee injuries. The Terps have some guys like Trace Davidson, who red-shirted last year as a freshman due to injury, freshman James Waddell, senior Alex Wicks, along with a number of other athletic midfielders who could fit in there. There was also a rumor that rs-freshman d-man George Stamos had picked up a short stick.

So I think the Terps will do alright at ssdm even if Trader does show up. Of course, if Trader does show up and if Josh Coffman is healthy and able, the Terps could have one of the top ssdm units in D1.

"My biggest concern would be the SSDM position as Dante Trader is currently focusing on football. Perhaps he comes out for lacrosse in March or April."

The Terps return 2 regulars from last season: Nick Redd and Eric Kolar. Kolar did a solid job last year as a freshman, and should only improve.
While the Terps lose 5th year transfer, Donovan Lacey, they bring in 5th transfer Colin Sharkey from Vermont - which seems like a wash.

So even if the Terps don't have Dante Trader, they only have to find one ssdm who can play. Josh Coffman is returning for a 6th season, after missing the last 2 seasons with knee injuries. The Terps have some guys like Trace Davidson, who red-shirted last year as a freshman due to injury, freshman James Waddell, senior Alex Wicks, along with a number of other athletic midfielders who could fit in there. There was also a rumor that rs-freshman d-man George Stamos had picked up a short stick.

So I think the Terps will do alright at ssdm even if Trader does show up. Of course, if Trader does show up and if Josh Coffman is healthy and able, the Terps could have one of the top ssdm units in D1.
if this, if that, could do this, could do that, maybe this, maybe that...you are just reinforcing why he was right to question how good that unit will be. they struggled in their last couple of games last year even with trader

if this, if that, could do this, could do that, maybe this, maybe that...you are just reinforcing why he was right to question how good that unit will be. they struggled in their last couple of games last year even with trader
The Terps struggled in their last couple games defensively because Zappitello was out injured and Geppert was hobbled. At times, Geppert was out and Redd had to switch back to LSM. Even with these injuries the Terps managed to beat Johns Hopkins 14-9 in the Big Ten semi-finals.

The Terps have 3 experienced ssdms returning: Kolar, Sharkey, and Redd. Having 3 experienced ssdms is generally a positive going into a new season. Josh Coffman gives them a 4th - Coffman probably wouldn't be coming back for a 6th year, unless he felt he could play. The Terps have a number of athletic young guys like Davidson, Waddell, possibly even Gravino, who could step in. The Terps have an excess of long poles this year, so a long stick like Stamos can consider playing ssdm. So my assessment is that it doesn't look like a problem area for the Terps. The ssdm group might not be as flashy without Trader, but it should be solid.

QK, being a Hopkins' grad, is always looking for things to be pessimistic about the Terps, but they rarely happen.

in one of the photo looks like jordan vincent #55 has short stick. He is lsm maby he’s converting. He seem to have decent speed and likes to play physical in the short time he did play and i have seen last year. He’s also young so could be something there.

Was Kolar number 6 last yr? If so he impressed me he's gonna be good. Him and Redd are solid and Trader I heard was thinking about coming back. He probably just needed a break, I mean if he doesn't make it to the NFL he can def play in the PLL as a two way. That kid can play nasty defense. No one in the PLL could stop Cole Kirst power dodge yet Trader stood him right up and stopped in his tracks. With a yr under his belt playing SSDM he will be even better this yr and is always a threat in transitions. I agree tho even if he doesn't come back Maryland has definitely 3 solid shortys with Sharkey, Kolar and Redd and If Coffman stays healthy then set with 4.

Last edited:
The Terps struggled in their last couple games defensively because Zappitello was out injured and Geppert was hobbled. At times, Geppert was out and Redd had to switch back to LSM. Even with these injuries the Terps managed to beat Johns Hopkins 14-9 in the Big Ten semi-finals.

The Terps have 3 experienced ssdms returning: Kolar, Sharkey, and Redd. Having 3 experienced ssdms is generally a positive going into a new season. Josh Coffman gives them a 4th - Coffman probably wouldn't be coming back for a 6th year, unless he felt he could play. The Terps have a number of athletic young guys like Davidson, Waddell, possibly even Gravino, who could step in. The Terps have an excess of long poles this year, so a long stick like Stamos can consider playing ssdm. So my assessment is that it doesn't look like a problem area for the Terps. The ssdm group might not be as flashy without Trader, but it should be solid.

QK, being a Hopkins' grad, is always looking for things to be pessimistic about the Terps, but they rarely happen.
He's just looking for a weakness but Maryland really doesn't have any this season. With Trader it's a strong unit without him it's a solid unit. Maryland is gonna be back to being a dominant team again this yr. If they can stay healthy of course. I hope they play their worst game vs Cuse of course. Lol

Was Kolar number 6 last yr? If so he impressed me he's gonna be good. Him and Redd are solid and Trader I heard was thinking about coming back. He probably just needed a break, I mean if he doesn't make it to the NFL he can def play in the PLL as a two way. That kid can play nasty defense. No one in the PLL could stop Cole Kirst power dodge yet Trader stood him right up and stopped in his tracks. With a yr under his belt playing SSDM he will be even better this yr and is always a threat in transitions. I agree tho even if he doesn't come back Maryland has definitely 3 solid shortys with Sharkey, Kolar and Redd and If Coffman stays healthy then set with 4.
Kolar was #8 last year, but #6 was an offensive player, Mullane. Gravino is #6 this year.

Kolar was #8 last year, but #6 was an offensive player, Mullane. Gravino is #6 this year.
Ok then it was 8 because he played SSDM. The guy I remember was a shorty so had to be 8. He's gonna be good I didn't know he was only a freshman too. He's tough dude and plays solid D.

I love defense and enjoyed watching Trader play so I caught a few extra Maryland games last yr and that kid 8 I remember telling my buddy man he's scrappy. Just a freshman he's only gonna get better.

I actually thought he played better man to man D then Lacy. Lacy was tall so had length and was good in the clearing game but Kolar was a better defender and as a freshman yeah I agree with u that unit should be solid this yr with or without Trader. He was a short scrappy white kid who will probably be a little bigger this yr too.

I love defense and enjoyed watching Trader play so I caught a few extra Maryland games last yr and that kid 8 I remember telling my buddy man he's scrappy. Just a freshman he's only gonna get better.
That is how I feel about Kolar too.
I am also cautiously optimistic about Trace Davidson, who didn't play last season due to injury.

Syracuse brings back Joey Spallina, Owen Hiltz and welcomes Lehigh grad transfer Christian Mulé and freshman NB All-American Trey Deere Figuring out the spacing and roles with all those lefties may be an awkward fit at times, but the slick distribution and high IQ from all of them should make it work. Spallina (32G, 36A) is the quarterback and a summer playing box helped him see what his Canadian teammates see on the field. Hiltz came back from missing the ‘22 season due to injury and (somewhat quietly) had his first 50-point year (24G, 29A). Mulé (29G, 44A) evolved from a lefty finisher playing with Tommy Schelling and Cole Kirst to becoming the secondary facilitator playing off the super quick Scott Cole, a role that’ll suit offensive coordinator Pat March nicely in 2024.

the article is extremely complimentary of the terps and is about why quint believes they are a final four contender. he pointed out question marks and concerns for every team, not just the terps...what you are asking for is slavish praise and anything short of that you complain about it

by the way, maryland's shorties were abused in their final two games of the season. go watch the tape. tillman will tell you the same thing which is probably why he went out and got the vermont guy, who is in for a big step up in competition going from njit, merrimack and albany to notre dame, virginia and hop...

first round exit last year. its not 2022 any more. the terps are very good but have question marks

Last edited:
the article is extremely complimentary of the terps and is about why quint believes they are a final four contender. he pointed out question marks and concerns for every team, not just the terps...what you are asking for is slavish praise and anything short of that you complain about it

by the way, maryland's shorties were abused in their final two games of the season. go watch the tape. tillman will tell you the same thing which is probably why he went out and got the vermont guy, who is in for a big step up in competition going from njit, merrimack and albany to notre dame, virginia and hop...

first round exit last year. its not 2022 any more. the terps are very good but have question marks
I don't expect slavish praise. As a matter of fact, my main comment was that I thought the Terps' ssdm group would be alright - and only praiseworthy if Trader did return. My guess is that Quint probably couldn't name most of the other Terp ssdms anyhow.

I don't really have any plans to watch any of last season's games again. If I did, I would probably watch the UMd-UVa game. Maryland's ssdms probably did reasonably well in that one.

Tillman probably added the Vermont guy, Sharkey, because Trader indicated fairly early on that he didn't plan on coming back and Lacey had finished up. Lacey did a solid job for the Terps last year coming from Sacred Heart.

Quint is an ACC announcer. The whole tenor of the article where Quint acts like the 3 ACC teams return to the final four is automatic is sort of ridiculous. In 2022, none of them made the final four. Yet the Terps need to crash the party. The invitations to the final four haven't been sent yet, Quint.

Terps just had too many injuries last season.

I don't expect slavish praise. As a matter of fact, my main comment was that I thought the Terps' ssdm group would be alright - and only praiseworthy if Trader did return. My guess is that Quint probably couldn't name most of the other Terp ssdms anyhow.

I don't really have any plans to watch any of last season's games again. If I did, I would probably watch the UMd-UVa game. Maryland's ssdms probably did reasonably well in that one.

Tillman probably added the Vermont guy, Sharkey, because Trader indicated fairly early on that he didn't plan on coming back and Lacey had finished up. Lacey did a solid job for the Terps last year coming from Sacred Heart.

Quint is an ACC announcer. The whole tenor of the article where Quint acts like the 3 ACC teams return to the final four is automatic is sort of ridiculous. In 2022, none of them made the final four. Yet the Terps need to crash the party. The invitations to the final four haven't been sent yet, Quint.

Terps just had too many injuries last season.
you mentioned like 5 or 6 guys who have never played ssdm in college before, including freshmen and potentially converting another guy from pole to ssdm...thats exactly what it sounds like when you are searching for depth and dont know what it will look like...

since you dont want to watch the highlights ill summarize them for you...#8 got rinsed by no-name army midfielders multiple times and he is supposed to be your best returning ssdm. when you give up 14 and 16 goals to end the season, your shorties are not playing well...and that was with trader and lacey...at least one of them is gone and possibly both. so you are left with 1-2 ssdms with big ten experience and neither of them are all american quality... thats a completely reasonable potential issue to mention in a preview of the team and it has nothing to do with quint being an acc announcer or hopkins alum

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom