2024 QB | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2024 QB

Temple quarterback E.J. Warner is entering the transfer portal. The son of Pro Football Hall of Famer Kurt Warner set single-season records in passing touchdowns (23) and 300-yard games (four) in 2023. He has two years of eligibility remaining.
I’ve seen the analytics on this kid. They’re very good. If we had a good oline I’d take him in a heartbeat, but not sure that’s the case.

Unfortunately, by all indications, these numbers are not sustainable annually at Syracuse. It's sad that it's become so apparently unfair at this level.

You can't afford great players out of HS and then get all of your diamonds in the rough or developed players snatched when they get great.

ND isn't even going to recruit HS QBs anymore. They'll just get a new veteran FA every season.

Great if you have a rabid fan base and your NIL is flush, not so great at private schools whose community and alumni are lukewarm to football.

It's all great for the players, just stinks to be a fan in this new paradigm.

Maybe hoops can still compete as the gross numbers are less.
I wonder if there is a solution?

While I think there is? I doubt the big boys will go for it... (like an NIL, luxury tax, type thing - or a collective "tax", etc.)

My fear, is we may have a great recruiter that could land the right player, and then we can't close the deal based on NIL.

I hope some adjustments are made, where its still good for the players AND more College fan bases.

How much would TVD be, out of the portal? 500k?

If we had Clemson on the schedule we could probably get DJU.

F no to Warner’s kid he stinks.

If we had Clemson on the schedule we could probably get DJU.

F no to Warner’s kid he stinks.
Warner will end up at some power 5. He likes to throw the ball deep.

Its verifiable by the amount given by collectives. This does NOT count any company deals, cars, etc...

Top 10 in the portal get about $500k
Top 25 in the portal get about $250K. Top 100 get about $100k.

All we need is $3-7M and we're going to be great in recruiting, and the portal.

Those numbers are quite a bit different than what Rhule said, unless I'm misunderstanding something. That's saying the top 10 players in the portal last time got an average of $500K?

I wonder if there is a solution?

While I think there is? I doubt the big boys will go for it... (like an NIL, luxury tax, type thing - or a collective "tax", etc.)
Either they do something like this, or the gap between the haves and the have nots is going to be MASSIVE... Which is what they want, so I doubt anything happens.

By comparison, the major sports in the US all have a salary cap and/or luxury tax. In European soccer, there are transfer fees. I think some combination of a transfer fee and a luxury tax would make a lot of sense.

It should be something like if you take a transfer in the portal who played more than X% of snaps/minutes the previous season, you have to pay the school you're taking him from X% of the amount of the NIL deal you're signing him to. That school is required to pay out that money in NIL within, say, 3 years?

This would allow smaller schools to bank the NIL money and go all-in every few years if they wanted, or spread it out evenly. It would reward programs that recruit well and develop talent, and it would help spread the NIL money around more.

You could toy with the numbers but I think that concept would work well. Good luck getting the Alabamas and Ohio States and Notre Dames to agree to it, though.

Those numbers are quite a bit different than what Rhule said, unless I'm misunderstanding something. That's saying the top 10 players in the portal last time got an average of $500K?
Rhule is inflating his numbers and using the outlier figures to try and fund raise while also keeping some heat off him.

As someone else alluded Sims wasn't worth the investment this year (he was a gamble to begin with) and Rhule is trying to get the fans to pony up more so he can get someone with less risk and more potential home run quality.

There are a few programs with buyers remorse after this season.

Very few programs have had strong success, FSU being one of them, based off portal impact.

From collectives. If a,b,c and d boosters individually give 100k? That's not counted. Nor is the BMW, the dozen other companies that add their NIl, and so on...

Rhule may be exactly right. I dunno. This is just one source. (Collectives) No boosters, no business. Olivia Dunne(lsu) has had thousands of deals. Most decent players have dozens. This is just ONE .

Last edited:
It is my understanding that power schools are working with a $7-$10 million dollar NIL budget and the P5 lower tier schools are trying to fund up to $750,000 to $1 million per annum.

This is information coming from a high ranking member of a collective at a current ACC school.

The money flooding into college football is real and there is alot of it involved.

Last edited:
Its amazing how many QB1s are transferring. Also... I highly doubt a QB1 from a much better school/situation will transfer to Syracuse.

It is my understanding that power schools are working with a $7-$10 million dollar NIL budget and the P5 lower tier schools are trying to fund up to $750,000 to $1 million per annum.

This is information flowing from a high ranking member of a collective at a current ACC school.

The money flooding into college football is real and there is alot of it involved.
I’ve heard similar numbers. I think the power schools is a limited group though. That’s likely only FSU Clemson and Miami in the ACC. I’ve only heard of FSU actually spending 10. Nobody else is close.

Syracuse at a 4m annual number will be competitive. that’s why actual collectives with 10-20k fans can make a difference. But that’s longer off for SU. Right now it’s a few big donors.

I’ve heard similar numbers. I think the power schools is a limited group though. That’s likely only FSU Clemson and Miami in the ACC. I’ve only heard of FSU actually spending 10. Nobody else is close.

Syracuse at a 4m annual number will be competitive. that’s why actual collectives with 10-20k fans can make a difference. But that’s longer off for SU. Right now it’s a few big donors.
Agree in whole on the 1st paragraph. Not sure that $4 million per year is achievable at Syracuse unless there is a huge bump in the grassroots donors as you state. The bigger donors will get you original funding but with the money being spent each year it will be the little guys that keep it going. I just question whether Syracuse can get to your number on an annual basis. I certainly hope so.