2024 Schedule | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Schedule

Money talks, we could definitely convince both of those schools to play at the Dome for a little extra dough
I like that.

If UMass would take a switch of venues here and make this a buy game at the Dome, that would be the best scenario.

I wouldn’t even care if they want to play in November. Would give us a game where we can play some subs and rest up before the end of conference play.

Moving the game would leave them with only 5 home games but they are really hurting for money and getting $500K to $1M to play at the dome would be a Godsend for them.

This would be the move a major program would make in this position. It is time we started acting like a big program.

UNLV and UMass were going to be away games for Army so these two would likely be away games for us.

If we chose UMass and kept it an away game, and kept the current date scheduled, which is November 9th, we would have 4 drivable away games in 2024:

UMass
UConn
BC and
Pitt

UConn is penciled in as a November 23rd game.

The ACC loves to schedule northern teams against northern teams in November so those the southern schools can avoid having to play in cold conditions. So if we do end up with UMass, I see a very real nuclear winter scenario where we play four games on the road in the Northeast in 2024, all in November..

All4SU, get your raccoon coat out of the cedar closet. This could be the year for wearing real fur!
I heard that the UCONN football game might be scheduled on the same weekend as a double header mens and women’s basketball game at the garden.

UNLV and UMass were going to be away games for Army so these two would likely be away games for us.

If we chose UMass and kept it an away game, and kept the current date scheduled, which is November 9th, we would have 4 drivable away games in 2024:

UMass
UConn
BC and
Pitt

UConn is penciled in as a November 23rd game.

The ACC loves to schedule northern teams against northern teams in November so those the southern schools can avoid having to play in cold conditions. So if we do end up with UMass, I see a very real nuclear winter scenario where we play four games on the road in the Northeast in 2024, all in November..

All4SU, get your raccoon coat out of the cedar closet. This could be the year for wearing real fur!
Still have mine. I’m ready!

DF8DDB1B-30C8-435E-8FBF-881ED2D439A0.jpeg

I heard that the UCONN football game might be scheduled on the same weekend as a double header mens and women’s basketball game at the garden.
Pretty sure the UConn game is going to be played on 11/23, so the timing would make sense. We really should have paired at least one of the basketball teams to play in NYC the weekend we played Pitt at YS.

Last I knew, the Yankees were planning on getting Army and ND together in 2024 to play 100 years after their 1924 game in old YS. Just like they did with Pitt and Syracuse in 2023.

The game has not been announced yet but I think it is going to happen. If it does, the date for the game will be 11/23.

So it is very possible the Yankees have SU vs UConn as their backup plan in case Army vs ND that day does not work out. That would explain the long delay in formally announcing the date for SU-UConn as well as the reluctance to even name a venue.

If ND and Army do play at YS 11/23, what happens with SU v UConn? They could stick with the NYC plan and play at MetLife. Or CitiField (Mets stadium).

Or more likely, play it at the Rent and scrub any plans to pair the football game with basketball games between the schools.

I would guess we will find out what is happening soon. My personal hope is that we never play at YS again.

But if we have to, it would be cool to have another game (or even two) to attend while in the area…..

Pretty sure the UConn game is going to be played on 11/23, so the timing would make sense. We really should have paired at least one of the basketball teams to play in NYC the weekend we played Pitt at YS.

Last I knew, the Yankees were planning on getting Army and ND together in 2024 to play 100 years after their 1924 game in old YS. Just like they did with Pitt and Syracuse in 2023.

The game has not been announced yet but I think it is going to happen. If it does, the date for the game will be 11/23.

So it is very possible the Yankees have SU vs UConn as their backup plan in case Army vs ND that day does not work out. That would explain the long delay in formally announcing the date for SU-UConn as well as the reluctance to even name a venue.

If ND and Army do play at YS 11/23, what happens with SU v UConn? They could stick with the NYC plan and play at MetLife. Or CitiField (Mets stadium).

Or more likely, play it at the Rent and scrub any plans to pair the football game with basketball games between the schools.

I would guess we will find out what is happening soon. My personal hope is that we never play at YS again.

But if we have to, it would be cool to have another game (or even two) to attend while in the area…..

SU vs Uconn will now be at the Rent

Oregon St conjures up warm memories. This board will understand:

First game I ever saw in person was the SU vs Oregon State 1974 season opener at Archbold. 2 underperforming teams. We won 23-15. Central Tech's own Ken Kinsey 38 carries 169 yards. Steve Webster 5 or 7 carries 35 yards. Jim Donoghue (Delran NJ) was the QB. 33 yr old Frank Maloney's 1st year. My ST was $42. 6 home games. No "donation." I was on the 47 yard line in the "modern" north Bleachers. Next week lost to Kent State 20-14. I think Larry Poole ran for a 95 yd TD, sealing our fate.

Unbelievably, Archbold had a 400m cinder track around it. Rome had better plumbing. I went to Nov. games sitting on concrete w/11K in the stands. We'd go down onto the track and welcome the team back on the field at halftime when they emerged from the locker room/horse stalls. Heck, sometimes I'd to be the first one in the stadium at 11 am (All games started at 1pm back then) and shag field goal attempts by Dave Jacobs or BC's Fred Steinfort. Archbold Stadium was built during the Roosevelt administration. Not FDR, but Teddy Roosevelt (1907). It's namesake and benefactor was Standard Oil baron John Archbold, a crony of and friend of John D Rockefeller. Anti-Trust legislation broke up Standard Oil's monopoly into the Seven Sisters - latter day Exxon, Texaco, Chevron etc...

Sorry, went off the rails there. Suffice to say SU Football has a rich history and for some reason I'm galvanically attracted to it.

In any event...LGO!
Remember it well! Ok, maybe not that well! My first game as a student at SU. Brought a date, now my wife, to a game in Archbold my senior year. Cheerleaders threw oranges into the stands after every TD and she got hit square in the face.

Take that as a lesson Youngblood. Set the bar exceedingly low up front and they’re never disappointed!

I like that.

If UMass would take a switch of venues here and make this a buy game at the Dome, that would be the best scenario.

I wouldn’t even care if they want to play in November. Would give us a game where we can play some subs and rest up before the end of conference play.

Moving the game would leave them with only 5 home games but they are really hurting for money and getting $500K to $1M to play at the dome would be a Godsend for them.

This would be the move a major program would make in this position. It is time we started acting like a big program.
Luv ya Tom, but I think we’ve paid enough for football in 2024.

The schedule is weak enough, don’t need to go full Boeheim 1980s era with Victor Cruz U.

We also are in no danger of having 4 away games in November, unless Springsteen sets up a residency in the Dome.

We will get someone decent, but you might need a plane ticket.

Luv ya Tom, but I think we’ve paid enough for football in 2024.

The schedule is weak enough, don’t need to go full Boeheim 1980s era with Victor Cruz U.

We also are in no danger of having 4 away games in November, unless Springsteen sets up a residency in the Dome.

We will get someone decent, but you might need a plane ticket.
Sounds like you are feeling a game in Vegas. That might make @nycfan’s heart explode. Not sure it would be a great idea to go to Cal and UNLV in the same year.

Scheduling is a game of musical chairs. We are the last P5 school that still has an open game (where it needs to be against a FBS opponent). We waited too long and now we will pay the price.

This is not the first time this has happened and it needs to be the last.

Last edited:
If there was ever a year for UMass to be fine with losing a home game in exchange for a buy game, it would be next season when they already have Mizzou coming to Amherst. Their AD has been good about scheduling football and hoops so if that happens I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of basketball scheduling agreement attached.

I'd pick a trip to UNLV if the option is there, though.

Sounds like you are feeling a game in Vegas. That might make @nycfan’s heart explode. Not sure it would be a great idea to go to Cal and UNLV in the same year.

Scheduling is a game of musical chairs. We are the last P5 school that still has an open game (where it needs to be against a FBS opponent). We waited too long and now we will pay the price.

Did Wake Forest fill their Army back out?

I just don’t see us paying for a game when the ACC can easily send us Wake or SMU.

But yes, looking at the cards on the table, unless we work some KingOtto ND magic….the only other option is @UNLV.

I think you’ll get your home game, but it will be SMU.

I just don’t see us paying for a game when the ACC can easily send us Wake or SMU.

But yes, looking at the cards on the table, unless we work some KingOtto ND magic….the only other option is @UNLV.

I think you’ll get your home game, but it will be SMU.
I had mixed feelings about replacing at Army with Kansas at Syracuse. Liked adding a home game. IMHO, we should have 7 home games most years.

We didn’t (again) in 2023.

But I was not thrilled to schedule a top 25 level program instead of a decent FBS G5 program. We need to have winning seasons year after year regardless that now and are not good enough to expect to beat top 25 teams. Insistently at home.

SMU is probably going to be another top 25 type team coming into next season. I want to replace Army with a likely win or a sure win. At home. If it costs $1 million so be it. I think the investment is worth it. Might well make the difference between a 6-6 a a 7-5 season. Or 7-5 and 8-4.

We need wins. We need to show progress. I don’t want to toughen up the schedule for 2024. We already face a gauntlet in 2025. We don’t need more challenges for 2024z

Let’s schedule a relatively easy schedule and win some games. Let’s get rated and contend for a bowl in places like Jacksonville, Miami and Orlando.

Of course, it is easy to say let’s spend $1 million or so on a buy game when you are a fan. Might not be so easy for JW…..

I had mixed feelings about replacing at Army with Kansas at Syracuse. Liked adding a home game. IMHO, we should have 7 home games most years.

We didn’t (again) in 2023.

But I was not thrilled to schedule a top 25 level program instead of a decent FBS G5 program. We need to have winning seasons year after year regardless that now and are not good enough to expect to beat top 25 teams. Insistently at home.

SMU is probably going to be another top 25 type team coming into next season. I want to replace Army with a likely win or a sure win. At home. If it costs $1 million so be it. I think the investment is worth it. Might well make the difference between a 6-6 a a 7-5 season. Or 7-5 and 8-4.

We need wins. We need to show progress. I don’t want to toughen up the schedule for 2024. We already face a gauntlet in 2025. We don’t need more challenges for 2024z

Let’s schedule a relatively easy schedule and win some games. Let’s get rated and contend for a bowl in places like Jacksonville, Miami and Orlando.

Of course, it is easy to say let’s spend $1 million or so on a buy game when you are a fan. Might not be so easy for JW…..

UNLV is the best fit. It gives us a home game in 2024. They are a decent team but not P5. We can return the trip in 2026 when we need to replace Army and have 4 close ACC road games so the travel won’t hurt.

Never mind. They already have Houston and Kansas on the road next year. No way they take an SU road game on top of that.

Oregon St conjures up warm memories. This board will understand:

First game I ever saw in person was the SU vs Oregon State 1974 season opener at Archbold. 2 underperforming teams. We won 23-15. Central Tech's own Ken Kinsey 38 carries 169 yards. Steve Webster 5 or 7 carries 35 yards. Jim Donoghue (Delran NJ) was the QB. 33 yr old Frank Maloney's 1st year. My ST was $42. 6 home games. No "donation." I was on the 47 yard line in the "modern" north Bleachers. Next week lost to Kent State 20-14. I think Larry Poole ran for a 95 yd TD, sealing our fate.

Unbelievably, Archbold had a 400m cinder track around it. Rome had better plumbing. I went to Nov. games sitting on concrete w/11K in the stands. We'd go down onto the track and welcome the team back on the field at halftime when they emerged from the locker room/horse stalls. Heck, sometimes I'd to be the first one in the stadium at 11 am (All games started at 1pm back then) and shag field goal attempts by Dave Jacobs or BC's Fred Steinfort. Archbold Stadium was built during the Roosevelt administration. Not FDR, but Teddy Roosevelt (1907). It's namesake and benefactor was Standard Oil baron John Archbold, a crony of and friend of John D Rockefeller. Anti-Trust legislation broke up Standard Oil's monopoly into the Seven Sisters - latter day Exxon, Texaco, Chevron etc...

Sorry, went off the rails there. Suffice to say SU Football has a rich history and for some reason I'm galvanically attracted to it.

In any event...LGO!
The Beavers returned 2 years later for another loss in my freshman year.

Some horrible weather games that year. The people who want an outdoor stadium…they’re so cute at that age.

Is it just my failing memory, or was the beer served in something that looked like a milk carton then?

The Beavers returned 2 years later for another loss in my freshman year.

Some horrible weather games that year. The people who want an outdoor stadium…they’re so cute at that age.

Is it just my failing memory, or was the beer served in something that looked like a milk carton then?
Schlitz! Was that the year of the game against Tulane played in a monsoon? 3-0 win on a late Dave Jacobs FG IIRC.

Anyone know who is left and available to play now that Kansas has backed out of a potential game? Would love to set this up with a Buffalo, UMASS, or Temple. Someone local to continue to play around the northeast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom