2024 Seating Changes | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Seating Changes

No, it’s losing the people we’ve sat with for years and years and became friends with

Read the Syracuse.com story, there’s hundreds of those stories.

The reason people are so anxious about selection is because they want to be with the people they’ve been with forever

Having that ripped away takes away part of the tradition of going to games.

Most of these people stuck through the very very very hard times and a lot of them only came to the games once a week to see their section mates.

That’s why people are so upset. It’s because this could potentially be taking away part of why they are Syracuse fans at their core

It’s times like this I start to wonder if I have low grade antisocial personality disorder. I’ve sat by some people for over 20 years, had plenty of conversations with them, seen their kids grow up… being upset I won’t be sitting near them at game anymore never crossed my mind.

I hope none of them are severely disappointed they won’t be sitting near me anymore - knowing that would make me feel like a real jerk.

No, it’s losing the people we’ve sat with for years and years and became friends with

The reason people are so anxious about selection is because they want to be with the people they’ve been with forever

Most of these people stuck through the very very very hard times and a lot of them only came to the games once a week to see their section mates.

That’s why people are so upset. It’s because this could potentially be taking away part of why they are Syracuse fans at their core
I don’t disagree with that and I’m pretty sure you’ve heard me state as such previously. I’m talking about a different aspect of it, the potential scarcity. The two issues are not mutually exclusive.

I have season tickets for the NJ Devils. Used to get a paper pass for the parking garage for each game, now it’s digital. So if I’m not going to a game and either sell or give the game tickets to family, I can text or email the parking pass instead of having to mail it. And it happened more than once that I couldn’t find the paper pass and had to pay for parking - losing a digital pass is effectively impossible.

Going to digital is a huge improvement, imho it’s not even debatable. I’m only disappointed it took SU this long to catch up with the rest of the world.
Respect your opinion and Shrmdougluvr . Many agree with you guys. Many do not. I think losing a paper pass is no different than forgetting your phone, or having a dead battery or technical problem (can't get into the wallet, can't transfer, etc). Not everyone wants to be tethered to a cell phone. Worse, the conversion (to digital) is being driven by pay-offs from big digital players (Ticketmaster) that prey on the users. That's not a fan benefit.

Last edited:

Can't people just pick their seats at the same time? What are the chances that one person is at the $5k level and the next person is at the $500 level?

If sitting near friends is important, just do a zoom when you choose your seats.

Can't people just pick their seats at the same time? What are the chances that one person is at the $5k level and the next person is at the $500 level?

If sitting near friends is important, just do a zoom when you choose your seats.
Very interesting. I've been thinking about all this. I have 6 families that I'm the lead guy for. We've all sat together at games through thick and thin. The problem is I'm pretty sure we are all in different donor rank windows. But I don't actually know this. I guess I have to do more homework. I wonder how wide the donor rank "bands" will be. Man, maybe we really all do a Zoom like you said.

Very interesting. I've been thinking about all this. I have 6 families that I'm the lead guy for. We've all sat together at games through thick and thin. The problem is I'm pretty sure we are all in different donor rank windows. But I don't actually know this. I guess I have to do more homework. I wonder how wide the donor rank "bands" will be. Man, maybe we really all do a Zoom like you said.

Even if there is a gap between #1 and #6, if sitting right next to each other is the biggest priority then #1 can wait until the others pick. The option to choose a seat doesn't close for #1. And/or #6 might have to donate more just for this year to catch up to #5, etc. Sure #1 might not get as good a seat but that isn't their main concern.

You sound like my ex. You're literally arguing for the sake of arguing and talking out both sides of your mouth.

"Your buddy is paying $100. The students are paying $70k a year and attend the university for which the football team plays." - ok so they're prioritizing students, cool.

"Your buddy maybe will get his old seats back. The students are getting the worst seats in the building." - so the students are getting hosed. right.

"I also love the trope of the students leaving in the second half, like all the locals don't leave when the team is down 42-3 either." - Many students leave regardless the score because the kegs at the frat showed up. Unless it's a big game, they don't stick around, even if it's close. They were right by the tunnel to cheer the team onto the field. Now the players won't even run near them. So yeah, I think it's stupid to move the students.
Buddy I have no idea what you're even trying to "gotcha!" me on here. You're telling me your ex used to make layered and nuanced arguments that you didn't understand?

1. The students are getting put in a worse section for viewing, but a better section for getting into the building (never made sense back when I was a student to walk around the entire building to get to your seats), and they probably have plans on WHY they are putting the students there.

2. If that displaces people who pay $100, so be it, but the student seating is the first group to be seated, hence why they are prioritized.

3. People here used to complain that the students weren't actually in that corner in time for the players to run out anyways (I'm sure you were one of those as you always complain about the students), so now they move them away from there and it's a problem.

Students (and regular fans) leave when the game is out of reach, usually in a blowout either way. No one is leaving in a 20-17 game going into the 4th. It's just more obvious when it's the student section because they're massed together (and overflowing the section due to bench seating).

4. Maybe Fran and the AD have a plan on utilizing that student section in a cooler way than it was previously?

It’s times like this I start to wonder if I have low grade antisocial personality disorder. I’ve sat by some people for over 20 years, had plenty of conversations with them, seen their kids grow up… being upset I won’t be sitting near them at game anymore never crossed my mind.

I hope none of them are severely disappointed they won’t be sitting near me anymore - knowing that would make me feel like a real jerk.
They wont mind lol. jk

Same boat. Dealing with figuring out about 22 people that all have different situations. Most are about 30 years in.

I have them five hours away. Suck it up and get back to campus!

But agree. The students aren’t getting a better situation here. I do think it’ll be better for TV. And they’ll learn to love their new home.

Change is hard folks but will all get through itIf the product on the field is better, we won’t care as the seats are all pretty good. I could barely see the field when we were at Clemson two years ago and felt like I was getting vertigo up there.
Me too! Well, closer to 4 hrs, but..Gotta make the sacrifice!

Lmao Wildhack sent my mother a passive-aggressive one-line email this morning

I’d add to that that some fans spent years moving up to a desired location (row, aisle seat, etc.) and it feels like all that effort was for nothing. Now it’s possible that the people in the opposite end zone will all give up their seats willingly or be lower on the totem pole but it’s frustrating knowing that you may have to go through that whole process again.

You display your parking pass on your app. Just like you display your ticket to get into the game. Who parks in the lot is controlled. If your pass doesn’t say west lot you aren’t getting in the west lot.
the issue isn't who is gets into the lot, its who stays in the lot, Parking for games is a different thing than parking for school. In my last 2 lots because people park there during the week, on game days the lot is full of people parking who dont have a game day pass. Its not like SU enforces this stuff all the time.

And when you go from hang passes to digital its a real pain..

Parking permitting is my day job.. it sucks to enforce.

the issue isn't who is gets into the lot, its who stays in the lot, Parking for games is a different thing than parking for school. In my last 2 lots because people park there during the week, on game days the lot is full of people parking who dont have a game day pass. Its not like SU enforces this stuff all the time.

Much ado about nothing. Some lots employees have to be out of some they don’t. Do lots sell out? I know west doesn’t. I can’t wait for digital parking.

Its another of the unknowns.. You going to have 6 people all on zoom trying to pick seats at the same time. Then another person selects in the middle of your spot and you start over?

Will hundreds be selecting at once or a dozen? How long will the window be open? Will it even work well? We have had issues many times getting ticket selection things to work.

I think it's more the section may not have a-- hats, drunken fools, etc.

You sound like my ex. You're literally arguing for the sake of arguing and talking out both sides of your mouth.

"Your buddy is paying $100. The students are paying $70k a year and attend the university for which the football team plays." - ok so they're prioritizing students, cool.

"Your buddy maybe will get his old seats back. The students are getting the worst seats in the building." - so the students are getting hosed. right.

"I also love the trope of the students leaving in the second half, like all the locals don't leave when the team is down 42-3 either." - Many students leave regardless the score because the kegs at the frat showed up. Unless it's a big game, they don't stick around, even if it's close. They were right by the tunnel to cheer the team onto the field. Now the players won't even run near them. So yeah, I think it's stupid to move the students.
And he’s not a season ticket holder, but he has expert opinion on what should be done

Here's what I don't understand. Am I putting down what my seats cost now? For example, $800 for 4 seats in 243. Now, they tell me no 4 seats are available in the $200 per that we used to sit. Now do I look in a cheaper area for 150 per to find 4 seats we're happy with and they give us $200 back? Can I say I'll just buy 2 seats instead because I like a location but can't get 4 together?
If you renew on February first you can take advantage of the payment plan that allows you to split the cost into 7 or 8 equal payments interest free. Yes, I know you don’t accrue priority points until you make the payment. You don’t HAVE to renew until May 1 to participate in seat selection. I strongly believe that if you get to seat selection and cannot find an acceptable outcome they will work with you to do essentially whatever is possible. Sounds like they will try to make seat selection a very individualized process with plenty of hand holding.

But isn't that a problem with SU's parking enforcement, not a digital pass problem? You admit that this problem already exists with the paper, I guess I don't see how the digital makes it more of a problem?

I do hate when I can't get in the Fine Lot because cars are already there.

Oh great, so my donor rank (which is currently accurate based on my season ticket payments) will likely go down from what it is now because others payments are not being reflected properly. I don't understand how it's this bad. Seems like a simple thing and a bit of testing prior to releasing this information would have solved some of these issues.
Not true. If you see a donor rank it is accurate. They apparently test in a live system that has lead to some errors. Keep in mind that portion of the site jumps from SideArm to Ticketmaster. Inconceivable that they don’t have a test instance.

But isn't that a problem with SU's parking enforcement, not a digital pass problem? You admit that this problem already exists with the paper, I guess I don't see how the digital makes it more of a problem?

I do hate when I can't get in the Fine Lot because cars are already there.
With paper if you stay in the lot and dont display a pass, they can pull your car out or give them a ticket and they do that. How do you do that with digital unless you add in a plate scan when you drive in.

They used to do it at Manley South when I parked there as well.

Much ado about nothing. Some lots employees have to be out of some they don’t. Do lots sell out? I know west doesn’t. I can’t wait for digital parking.
Totally irrelevant but the amount of people in front of us who pull into Irving garage for basketball games and get mad at the attendant for telling them that they need a permit when there are signs saying so right in front of them never fails to amaze me

With paper if you stay in the lot and dont display a pass, they can pull your car out or give them a ticket and they do that. How do you do that with digital unless you add in a plate scan when you drive in.

They used to do it at Manley South when I parked there as well.

There must be some way of handling this though? I mean how do all these other lots use digital passes?

I would pay money to see SU get some cars out of the fine lot, but they took the path of least resistance and combined the 2 lots into West. The non-Fine lot always has some space, but I would rather pay more to be guaranteed the Fine Lot honestly.