2024 Spring Practice | Page 45 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Spring Practice

That's play action, which is something different. I don't want the guy running unless it's a scramble. He's too valuable. We have tons of other guys to run it or catch it.

Yeah, the only guy to run a RPO is Del-Rio Wilson if he's get the call.
Remember when we used to use Doug Womack, that little 5-7 guy who was fast as hell to come in and run the option, back under P&D? He was a great change-of-pace guy.

Yeah, the only guy to run a RPO is Del-Rio Wilson if he's get the call.
Remember when we used to use Doug Womack, that little 5-7 guy who was fast as hell to come in and run the option, back under P&D? He was a great change-of-pace guy.
You don't need a running qb to run RPO. Running with the qb doesn't have to be part of the play. If you have a running qb, it can be, but it doesn't have to be.

You don't need a running qb to run RPO. Running with the qb doesn't have to be part of the play. If you have a running qb, it can be, but it doesn't have to be.

Sure. But if Del-Rio sees game time, I think it will play to his strengths if you have some of those plays available to him, just for his comfort out there. When a quarterback is a bit gun-shy in the pocket, it's nice to give them a chance to run to make a positive play and keep moving the chains.

Sure. But if Del-Rio sees game time, I think it will play to his strengths if you have some of those plays available to him, just for his comfort out there. When a quarterback is a bit gun-shy in the pocket, it's nice to give them a chance to run to make a positive play and keep moving the chains.
I don't know. RPO requires a quick read and decision. Most of the time you can't hold the ball if you decide to throw. Decision making and getting rid of the ball quickly haven't been his strengths. The option part of RPO is more about whether he gives it the RB on the running play or pulls it and throws than it is about the QB running.

I don't know. RPO requires a quick read and decision. Most of the time you can't hold the ball if you decide to throw. Decision making and getting rid of the ball quickly haven't been his strengths. The option part of RPO is more about whether he gives it the RB on the running play or pulls it and throws than it is about the QB running.

That's not my recollection of how we used to run it with Dungy and Shrader. They were running options, too.

What you're describing sounds more like simple play-action to me.

What you're describing sounds more like simple play-action to me.
No, that is not play action. Play action does not have the option of handing it off. The QB is not reading the defense before they decide to give it or pull it to throw it. Play action is a pass play the whole way. It simply includes a fake in the hopes that defense reacts to it. If the defense doesn't react to the run action, it is still a pass play.

Yes, we ran it that way because they were running QBs. It does not have to be run that way. Look at the link I posted above. It explains it.
I totally agree about CDRW - reads and decision-making have been the issues. As far as RPO, sure it can be used w/out the QB running. But the threat of the QB running is part of the scheme - and some defenses just truck the QB if he holds it too long. Think of RPO as an outgrowth of the triple option (that's where it came from). RPO starts with play action then the QB rolls out and either runs it or passes it. I think in RPO the OL run blocks, whereas with play action it pass blocks. So a QB potentially running it is part of the RPO scheme.

Anyway, we don't need to perseverate on the schematic and semantic differences here, since we all agree that we don't want KM hurt. BTW IthacaMatt makes a good point that you can protect him by moving the pocket (rolling out).

Last edited:
Yes, we ran it that way because they were running QBs. It does not have to be run that way. Look at the link I posted above. It explains it.

Yes, I understand. I used to play QB back in HS. I was a Doug Womack type - shrimpy guy who could run like the wind.

Yes, I understand. I used to play QB back in HS. I was a Doug Womack type - shrimpy guy who could run like the wind.
I'm picturing more Forrest Gump than Doug Womack.

Guys, we will 100% be running RPOs. None of them will involve Kyle running as a designed run. You can still do RPOs without the QB being an option to run...an NFL qb needs to be able to make the right read of handing off or pulling to pass. Oronde will eat defenses alive over the middle with linebacker crashing the box to stop a Willis or Allen run before Kyle pulls it to pass

Play action instead

You are exactly right. Most RPO's don't require a mobile QB. Just requires a pre snap and post snap read of the 2nd and 3rd level defenders.

I'm picturing more Forrest Gump than Doug Womack.
Play action is a pass the whole time. The QB isnt making a decision on if he hands it off or not...alway a pass. there isnt an OPTION. Which turns out to the the O...in RPO

Yes, I get it.

But how often does a QB actually make a real-time decision whether to hand-off vs. pass the ball? It's not like we're running the old freeze option, where the QB would stick the ball in the FB's gut, then pull it out and drop back to pass.

I think of what you're talking about as more of a live read by the QB prior to the snap - not a "true" option. If the box seems empty, hand off the ball, and if the D is stacked to stop the run, then fake the hand-off, pull it out and drop back to pass.

RPO, to me, is more like the old triple option - you can fake the dive, then run down the line of scrimmage and look at who commits to cover who, and then either pitch, pass or keep the ball.

Or, more commonly, if you think back to Dungy and Shrader, leave out the dive option, and the QB just rolls out and reads the coverage, then decides whether to pass or keep it and run.

Yes, I get it.

But how often does a QB actually make a real-time decision whether to hand-off vs. pass the ball? It's not like we're running the old freeze option, where the QB would stick the ball in the FB's gut, then pull it out and drop back to pass.

I think of what you're talking about as more of a live read by the QB prior to the snap - not a "true" option. If the box seems empty, hand off the ball, and if the D is stacked to stop the run, then fake the hand-off, pull it out and drop back to pass.

RPO, to me, is more like the old triple option - you can fake the dive, then run down the line of scrimmage and look at who commits to cover who, and then either pitch, pass or keep the ball.

Or, more commonly, if you think back to Dungy and Shrader, leave out the dive option, and the QB just rolls out and reads the coverage, then decides whether to pass or keep it and run.
The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

This thread is amazing. I think we should do more play action running. New style that Nixon and McCord will invent and perfect.
So wouldn't that be called a draw? Or probably just a QB scramble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom