2024 Spring Practice | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Spring Practice

What's wrong with Carlos Santana?
mostly what's said above, but it (not Santana, but the music itself) is representative and symbolic of the coddling of, too much so, of the kids. With that approach comes less discipline, with less discipline in general comes a slightly more lackadaisical approach to the game, and with that comes more lack of discipline on the field in the form of stupid penalties, etc., all of which contributes to losses on the field.

He's sending the message of it's time to work, and work only. Though that may not be a conscious message as it may simply be just the way he does things, and has done things at past stops. But to the kids who had it before, who could wear hats indoors before, who didn't have to sit in the two first rows in class before, it's all part of the message, the overall message sent. Or "night and day" in the approach as said to me directly by one of our starting players, and not in a negative way.

The analogy I use is it's like bringing up a kid, previously we've had a child centered household approach here for a long while, now it's a Program centered/parent centered household approach with discipline and accountability more strongly emphasized. Emphasize that last point, I'm sure it was emphasized/addressed by Dino too but not necessarily carried out in the ways being done here to now (hopefully)actually have success with it.

These kids appear to be all in with it too, as in an amazingly short period of time the guy has successfully created a "culture" that's different, and the music thing is just part of it overall. Furthermore amazingly he's created it by balancing a fine line with most if not all who are buying into things and not being alienated by it or him, I think because they sense this guy truly has their back if they toe the line, his line, knowing by doing so it's going to be good for themselves, their team, their futures to buy in and do what need be done.

It's frankly amazing to watch. In my case to watch again. I literally lived it. The place I played we won 3 games total the first 3 years I was there, very similar situation. A new staff was brought in just like this about half way through my time there. The 55 kids in my class we started with was down to only 6 of us from a combination of chronic losing as well as by the time this new coach was done with us, doing almost the exact same type stuff. But the 6 of us bought in.

New talent, younger kids we're brought in too and it resulted in a championship type season my senior year beating one the top ranked team in the nation (#2) in the process with the first winning season there in 20 years. That success led to long term program success with a historically moribund losing program having many many winning seasons afterward from this culture change.

I fully expect the same to happen here with a similar trajectory. That's what keeping something simple, but still symbolic of an overall approach, in this case keeping music out of practice can do.

Last edited:
mostly what's said above, but it (not Santana, but the music itself) is representative and symbolic of the coddling of, too much so, of the kids. With that approach comes less discipline, with less discipline in general comes a slightly more lackadaisical approach to the game, and with that comes more lack of discipline on the field in the form of stupid penalties, all of which contributes to losses on the field.

He's sending the message of it's time to work, and work only. Though that may not be a conscious message as it may simply be just the way he does things, and has done things at past stops. But to the kids who had it before, who could wear hats indoors before, who didn't have to sit in the two first rows in class before, it's all part of the message, the overall message sent. Or "night and day" in the approach as said to me directly by one of our starting players.

The analogy I use is it's like bringing up a kid, previously we've had a child centered household approach here for a long while, now it's a Program centered/parent centered household approach with discipline and accountability more strongly emphasized. Emphasize that last point, I'm sure it was emphasized by Dino too but not necessarily carried out in the ways being done here now.

These kids appear to be all in with it too, as in an amazingly short period of time the guy has successfully created a "culture" that's different, and furthermore amazingly he's created it by balancing a fine line with most if not all who are buying into things and not being alienated by it or him, I think because they sense this guy truly has their back if they toe the line, his line, knowing by doing so it's going to be good for themselves, their team, their futures to buy in and do what need be done.

It's frankly amazing to watch. In my case to watch again. I literally live it. The place I played we won 3 games total the first 3 years I was there, very similar situation. A new staff was brought in just like this about half way through my time there. The 55 kids in my class we started with was only 6 of us by the time this new coach was done with us doing almost the exact same type stuff. The 6 of us bought in. New talent, younger kids we're brought in too and it resulted in a championship type season my senior year beating one the top ranked team in the nation (#2) in the process. That success led to long term program success with a historically moribund losing program having many many winning seasons afterward from this culture change.

I fully expect the same to happen here with a similar trajectory. That's what keeping music out of practice can do.
I also find it ironic that “smooth” was the song of choice when we were anything but that

Grandparents spoil kids. Good parents provide tough love when needed. Dino by all accounts is a really good person who cares about his players. We had 8 years of that with limited success. This change is good for the players and the community. I like the transparancy and the fact that he and his staff are completely involved in the community and the alums. Syracuse needs to embrace not distance itself from both and he is off to a great start. The SU alumni base and connections being a focal point of his is fantastic.
No idea how this is all going to play out once the season starts but my two cents is that we are going to see a much better run operation across the board and i believe that will translate to better on field results.

mostly what's said above, but it (not Santana, but the music itself) is representative and symbolic of the coddling of, too much so, of the kids. With that approach comes less discipline, with less discipline in general comes a slightly more lackadaisical approach to the game, and with that comes more lack of discipline on the field in the form of stupid penalties, all of which contributes to losses on the field.

He's sending the message of it's time to work, and work only. Though that may not be a conscious message as it may simply be just the way he does things, and has done things at past stops. But to the kids who had it before, who could wear hats indoors before, who didn't have to sit in the two first rows in class, it's all part of the message, the overall message sent. Or "night and day" in the approach as said to me directly by one of our starting players.

The analogy I use is it's like bringing up a kid, previously we've had a child centered household approach here for a long while, now it's a Program centered/parent centered household approach with discipline and accountability more strongly emphasized. Emphasize that last point, it was emphasized by Dino but not necessarily carried out as successfully.

These kids appear to be all in with it too, as in an amazingly short period of time the guy has successfully created a "culture" that's different, and furthermore amazingly he's created it by balancing a fine line with most if not all who are buying into things and not being alienated, I think because they sense this guy truly has their back if they toe the line, his line, knowing by doing so it's going to be good for themselves, their futures to buy in and do what need be done.

It's frankly amazing to watch. In my case watch again. The place I played we won 3 games total the first 3 years I was there, very similar situation. A new staff was brought in just like this about half way through my time there. The 55 kids in my class we started with was only 6 of us by the time this new coach was done with us doing almost the exact same type stuff. The 6 of us bought in. New talent, younger kids we're brought in too and it resulted in a championship type season my senior year beating one the top ranked team in the nation (#2) in the process. That success led to long term program success with a historically moribund losing program having many many winning seasons afterward from this culture change.

I fully expect the same to happen here with a similar trajectory. That's what keeping music out of practice can do.
1711113441075.gif

Grandparents spoil kids. Good parents provide tough love when needed. Dino by all accounts is a really good person who cares about his players. We had 8 years of that with limited success. This change is good for the players and the community. I like the transparancy and the fact that he and his staff are completely involved in the community and the alums. Syracuse needs to embrace not distance itself from both and he is off to a great start. The SU alumni base and connections being a focal point of his is fantastic.
No idea how this is all going to play out once the season starts but my two cents is that we are going to see a much better run operation across the board and i believe that will translate to better on field results.
yep I have no doubt. Listen with the past approach we got "good" or at least "better/improved" but for the myriad of reasons we all here know well, couldn't get over the hump to great (meaning 10+ wins more than once in a while). If I could a bet down now, that's whats gonna happen. Send me to Vegas and from my keyboard to Gods ears!

paranoia will destroy ya
Paranoia occurs because you’re not confident in your skills. I have heard way too many people talk about Dino’s low football IQ. When you’re not confident in your own skills, you try to mask what the outside can see and question.

Listening to Gadsden and McCord talk seems like something special is building here

Buckle up, we’re in for one hell of a ride this season
At around 5:40 to 5:45 in his interview, HCFB specifically mentioned the wideouts (a breath of fresh air for SU fans). Despite the CC reading "A", I thought I heard him give a shout out to Haynes ("he's really fast"). If I heard right that's high praise considering all the burners he's brought in. Can't wait to see these guys on 4-20.

Last edited:

He's sending the message of it's time to work, and work only. Though that may not be a conscious message as it may simply be just the way he does things, and has done things at past stops. But to the kids who had it before, who could wear hats indoors before, who didn't have to sit in the two first rows in class before, it's all part of the message, the overall message sent. Or "night and day" in the approach as said to me directly by one of our starting players.

The analogy I use is it's like bringing up a kid, previously we've had a child centered household approach here for a long while, now it's a Program centered/parent centered household approach with discipline and accountability more strongly emphasized. Emphasize that last point, I'm sure it was emphasized by Dino too but not necessarily carried out in the ways being done here now.

These kids appear to be all in with it too, as in an amazingly short period of time the guy has successfully created a "culture" that's different, and furthermore amazingly he's created it by balancing a fine line with most if not all who are buying into things and not being alienated by it or him, I think because they sense this guy truly has their back if they toe the line, his line, knowing by doing so it's going to be good for themselves, their team, their futures to buy in and do what need be done.

It's frankly amazing to watch. In my case to watch again. I literally lived it. The place I played we won 3 games total the first 3 years I was there, very similar situation. A new staff was brought in just like this about half way through my time there. The 55 kids in my class we started with was down to only 6 of us from a combination of chronic losing as well as by the time this new coach was done with us, doing almost the exact same type stuff. But the 6 of us bought in.

New talent, younger kids we're brought in too and it resulted in a championship type season my senior year beating one the top ranked team in the nation (#2) in the process with the first winning season there in 20 years. That success led to long term program success with a historically moribund losing program having many many winning seasons afterward from this culture change.

Music is symbolic of coddling?

I agree with changing the culture, but almost every program/pro team in the country has music during a stretching period/warm ups.

Sure, Smooth should be retired from the playlist but I disagree with the coddling part.

I would think most if not all colleges are playing music at some point in their practices. I stopped by a HS girls flag football practice the other day and they were upset they didnt have music playing like the boys. The AD made sure it was on the next day.

I agree with changing the culture, but almost every program/pro team in the country has music during a stretching period/warm ups.

Sure, Smooth should be retired from the playlist but I disagree with the coddling part.
People are just really feeling themselves with the new coach and getting overly emotional with their takes.

I'm glad people are excited, but in the immortal words of Allen Iverson, we talking about practice.

These type posts and reactions are always indicative to me of someone who hasn't been there to know. So yes it IS symbolic, part of only with the other things mentioned sure, and I say this mostly kidding, but We know what side of the upbringing fence you had...;):)

Last edited:
Agreed, I'm very excited about the receivers. Fran, Kyle and OG all mentioned Zeed Haynes and Meeks. Zeed caught a long TD at the end of practice and Meeks " didnt lose a rep all day" according to OG. Love to hear it!!
Meeks will be one of those change of scenery guys who blossoms here, like AET and Trishton. Haynes is a home run hitter.

Exactly.

Dino's first practices were REVOLUTIONARY.

And now so are Fran's.

Which is great, I'm glad people are excited.
definitely fit that category. But not ridiculously so, nor an "emotional" take, rather it's an objective dispassionate analysis of what I see.

I mean lets enjoy the ride, but be realistic too. If Fran is expecting this place to be Georgia, at least $ wise/NIL $ etc., he's in for a reality slap. All the more important to maximize the chances for success by doing everything else right. The discussion here is a part of that and of controlling the controllables to maximize ones chance for success, that's the overall take really I have of it all. But you're right, I do love it, am excited but not giddy to forget reality.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom