2024 Spring Practice | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Spring Practice

Listened to Axe podcast.

The reports sound very positive. It sounds like the team has come together very well. It sounds like Brown is coaching hard. It sounds like McCord can really throw the ball.

A clip of Matt Villari was played.

He indicated that there is more intensity under this staff than under the previous staff.

Obviously that's a good thing.

But, I can't understand why the Babers staff would run a soft program. That wasn't what it was like his first year.

I wonder if he was trying too hard to avoid injuries.

Anyway, I'm excited. Can't wait to see the Spring Game!

I still can NOT believe this is Syracuse football...I honestly NEVER thought something like this would be happening to us.
EVERYTHING I've seen, heard and has been talked about is amazing. Pretty sure I'm still dreaming lol.

That may very well be true. And if it is, I find that sobering...
But also, a welcome relief!

Tough, intense, raise the bar on expectations and hold people accountable for their performance.

I don’t think we saw that under Dino so it is a welcome change. We’ll see about the accountable part. I’m not sure Dino ever benched anyone for poor performance. We’ll see soon enough what HCFB does in this regard. But teams like Georgia and Alabama don’t keep running the same kids out there who make consistent mistakes.

But, I can't understand why the Babers staff would run a soft program. That wasn't what it was like his first year.

I think that your postulation is plausible. I also wonder if some of the toughness early on was due to player leadership like Zaire and Dungey for example. Something seemed to change for sure.

Listened to Axe podcast.

The reports sound very positive. It sounds like the team has come together very well. It sounds like Brown is coaching hard. It sounds like McCord can really throw the ball.

A clip of Matt Villari was played.

He indicated that there is more intensity under this staff than under the previous staff.

Obviously that's a good thing.

Anyway, I'm excited. Can't wait to see the Spring Game!

I think this is the reason. The COVID year especially felt like the team was playing with one hand tied due to all of the injuries. Depth was always an issue

It’s easy to take shots at Dino in retrospect, but this same time in Dinos tenure we were all at the same place mentally. The “close your eyes” speech had us all hook, line, and sinker. Not faulting anyone or myself, it’s great to have optimism and be excited, however, this time around I’m being more cautiously optimistic.

With that said. Fran has produced so far getting us better recruits. Fran has bridged the gap with alumni, getting them involved and invested. Those two things I’m very excited about.

Dino also came in with OITNF mantra. So his practices were revolutionary to us when we hadn’t seen the speed and quickness of the practices.

BUT, quickly saw that shift over the last few years to slow and methodical and boring.

Hopefully Fran doesn’t lose his identity and keep his DART
He wont

It’s easy to take shots at Dino in retrospect, but this same time in Dinos tenure we were all at the same place mentally. The “close your eyes” speech had us all hook, line, and sinker. Not faulting anyone or myself, it’s great to have optimism and be excited, however, this time around I’m being more cautiously optimistic.

With that said. Fran has produced so far getting us better recruits. Fran has bridged the gap with alumni, getting them involved and invested. Those two things I’m very excited about.
I think the major difference is that they both had plans, but Fran’s plan and the way it’s being executed is clear that it was specifically geared for Syracuse and the program’s challenges across the board.

But he doesn’t walk on water and there will continue to be naysayers even with what he is doing. Guys like Rob Konrad for instance will never be content. They get short term appeased and when they need attention again start complaining and lashing out. I work with folks like that lol.

It’s really crazy we have McCord, Allen, OG, Villari, Haynes, Hatcher, Donovan Brown, Peña, Meeks

Willis seems like he is gonna be ready this year to back up Allen. Willis is gonna be the real deal.

And we still add Tremble, Ross and Hornsby in the summer. This team is talented on the offensive side of the ball. Keep McCord upright and he’s gonna have the uhhhh pieces to have this offense humming.

I really think OG, Villari, Allen are going to be huge in this offense with McCord.

I think Haynes is going to really surprise people and be a legit number 2 this year behind OG, and fill in as the number one next year. Then I fully expect a number 3 to step up between Meeks, Donovan Brown, Hatcher, Ross and Hornsby. That’s some serious talent to be competing for a number 3 receiver…

Then you can throw to the tight end Villari or our stud recruit tight end recruit Tremble

Or hand it off to our stud running back Allen or throw it out of the backfield to him cause he can do that too. Then you have a day one ready player in Willis who is a monster for a freshman and by all accounts is having a great offseason and a couple people that I know within the program have said he is getting along real well with the older guys on the team and have taken him under their wing. They said Willis has that dawg in him and a lot of players on this team do and that is something Fran looks for.

Fran realizes we are Syracuse and we can win here but people don’t expect us too. He wants players that have swag, a dawg attitude and don’t give a damn who we play because our players will think they can beat anyone. That’s the type of player Fran wants

Also when Fran first got hired. I remember telling y’all to buckle up cause there was going to be quite the culture shift and infusion of talent. Think that’s pretty spot on at this point

It’s really crazy we have McCord, Allen, OG, Villari, Haynes, Hatcher, Donovan Brown, Peña, Meeks

Willis seems like he is gonna be ready this year to back up Allen. Willis is gonna be the real deal.

And we still add Tremble, Ross and Hornsby in the summer. This team is talented on the offensive side of the ball. Keep McCord upright and he’s gonna have the uhhhh pieces to have this offense humming.

I really think OG, Villari, Allen are going to be huge in this offense with McCord.

I think Haynes is going to really surprise people and be a legit number 2 this year behind OG, and fill in as the number one next year. Then I fully expect a number 3 to step up between Meeks, Donovan Brown, Hatcher, Ross and Hornsby. That’s some serious talent to be competing for a number 3 receiver…

Then you can throw to the tight end Villari or our stud recruit tight end recruit Tremble

Or hand it off to our stud running back Allen or throw it out of the backfield to him cause he can do that too. Then you have a day one ready player in Willis who is a monster for a freshman and by all accounts is having a great offseason and a couple people that I know within the program have said he is getting along real well with the older guys on the team and have taken him under their wing. They said Willis has that dawg in him and a lot of players on this team do and that is something Fran looks for.

Fran realizes we are Syracuse and we can win here but people don’t expect us too. He wants players that have swag, a dawg attitude and don’t give a damn who we play because our players will think they can beat anyone. That’s the type of player Fran wants

Also when Fran first got hired. I remember telling y’all to buckle up cause there was going to be quite the culture shift and infusion of talent. Think that’s pretty spot on at this point
And Mike is back at 247, and enthused about being there.

I'm curious to see how Hatcher and Brown fair coming out of the spring. Alford isn't in their way anymore, but now they have Georgians to fend off. Both guys had been pretty productive until we stopped throwing the ball. We'll see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom