2024 Spring Practice | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Spring Practice

Calling what he did “revolutionary” was part of the wave of orange-tinted optimism when Dino (FHCDB) and his staff were hired. After being consistently man-handled during the FHCSS tenure, any change was perceived as positive and welcomed.
Things are seldom as good as perceived in the beginning, and maybe he could’ve done better if FHCDB had run a tighter ship. Who knows?
But there is already evidence for better S&C in just a few months, and that is reason enough for a little levity at Coach Edinger’s expense. It’s hardly character assassination and if he was truly awful (NOT saying he was), then the fault is with FHCDB for not recognizing and dealing with it.
The wolverine was an interesting cat, actually weasel.

Stefan Thompson getting hammered at NU Spring (Ruhle calling him out in media) for lack of conditioning and being totally out of shape. Wonder if this was an issue with him or team issue, and why he did not make an impact like we thought last year?
He destroyed his knee. That’s the first link in the chain.

just read the Ruhle quote on Thompson. Out of shape, not in the best of shape, hadn’t really done our offseason program before. All very new to him. And it’s been a struggle.” Thompson has “worked hard to catch up physically” so his body looks “significantly better" (meaning it didn't look good when he got there.)

That to go with other quotes I'm reading and the strength numbers and photos etc, sounds like bashing is warranted.
Our S&C staff is responsible now for the 3 months between when he left and the start of Nebraska spring ball?

Those helmet pads are such a scam. If they are so effective, why aren’t they worn in games? Certainly you could incorporate them into the design of the helmets with the appropriate logos. I remember them being purchased during the Shafer era, despite no objective evidence that they reduce injuries. The athletic department bought the manufacturer’s salesmanship.

Our S&C staff is responsible now for the 3 months between when he left and the start of Nebraska spring ball?

They're responsible for the 4 years he was here.

The fact that Ruhle said the workouts were new to Thompson and he struggled with them makes me think he wasn't used to an offseason workout like these guys run. I haven't heard any stories of the inverse. Diggs nor the Georgia kids have seemed to struggle with the workouts. It's all the holdover Syracuse kids saying wow, we work harder now.

The fact that Ruhle said the workouts were new to Thompson and he struggled with them makes me think he wasn't used to an offseason workout like these guys run. I haven't heard any stories of the inverse. Diggs nor the Georgia kids have seemed to struggle with the workouts. It's all the holdover Syracuse kids saying wow, we work harder now.
If you are a quasi-professional athlete, you should never be showing up "out of shape" for any pre-season training camp. I can understand if you're not completely up to the new standard of expectation, but to be called out for showing up out of shape is another level.

I don't think any of our coaches said kids showed up to our spring practice "out of shape" so this is an isolated incident.

If you are a quasi-professional athlete, you should never be showing up "out of shape" for any pre-season training camp. I can understand if you're not completely up to the new standard of expectation, but to be called out for showing up out of shape is another level.

I don't think any of our coaches said kids showed up to our spring practice "out of shape" so this is an isolated incident.

i can actually understand him showing up being out of shape. But It’s what was implied, that Thompson was struggling with working as hard as Nebraska works under Ruhle.

Our coaches didn’t say that about showing up, but they’re have been hints that the holdover players were ‘getting up to speed with the intensity of the workouts’ and there’s others who’ve flat said they’re training harder.

Meeks actually did mention the intensity of the practices/work-outs in his interview however many pages back. Didn’t necessarily say he struggled with them but he did recognize it.

Ellis in a black jersey.

looks the same
Great to see some clips of the offensive line going through their drills. I paused a lot on these videos to see who was out there and how they locked physically hopefully they will have a solid 8 to 10 players come fall.

i can actually understand him showing up being out of shape. But It’s what was implied, that Thompson was struggling with working as hard as Nebraska works under Ruhle.

Our coaches didn’t say that about showing up, but they’re have been hints that the holdover players were ‘getting up to speed with the intensity of the workouts’ and there’s others who’ve flat said they’re training harder.
Our coaches are also not all about themselves and some dumb tough guy image.

Those helmet pads are such a scam. If they are so effective, why aren’t they worn in games? Certainly you could incorporate them into the design of the helmets with the appropriate logos. I remember them being purchased during the Shafer era, despite no objective evidence that they reduce injuries. The athletic department bought the manufacturer’s salesmanship.
Are they scamming you? If it helps with cutting down concussions and ringing in the ears during camp who cares? 1000’s of high schools use them and teams like Clemson and USC and they seem to do ok

The problem is that some studies show 50% reduction, some show 10-20%, and some show none..

But in reading deeper the studies also state that many of the blows that lead to issues don't result from contact to the head but to the mask as well.

Its also that many of the studies focused on a small group of players in certain spots on the field. Its possible that 100 blows is an issue more than most single blow to the head.

if 95 times it lessons a lesser blow and 5 times it worsens it is it worth it?

the NFL is looking at it as a required thing for some positions.

The same staff that that got a low 3 star prospect w/ 1 other p4 offer to over 100 tackles and 8 sacks within his first two years.

He did have a pretty serious injury that he was trying to come back from last year. Id give him a pass for last season but matt ruhle is also a db.
And Nebraska went 5-7 last season with no statement wins. Whole team must’ve been slacking in the fitness department

How about those professional Carolina Panthers that you “coached“? Must’ve not been buying into the workout program.

Last edited:
And Nebraska went 5-7 last season with no statement wins. Whole team must’ve been slacking in the fitness department
NU Defense was very good . They had zero QB play as the transfer Sims was terrible and Purdy hurt. Decimated by injuries and losing close games. Reminded me of a SU season:) I hope we are past those days.

Great to see some clips of the offensive line going through their drills. I paused a lot on these videos to see who was out there and how they locked physically hopefully they will have a solid 8 to 10 players come fall.
It just didnt seem like they were aggressive enough. Is that just me or am i seeing things and they really need to practice more zone blocking. It reminded me of hs kids not knowing who to take. I may be harsh so please help me if i am and tel me why its not clean. All these cats should have experiance zoning. Money what do u think.

Perhaps I used the wrong word.

Perhaps "remarkable" or "striking" would be a better way to describe my reaction.

The point I was trying to make is that the previous training staff seems to have been ineffective in a very important area of preparation.
Yes they were…and it was noted then…

Every strength coach in the country "looks and acts tough" on the sidelines.
Yeah, look at this dude...
strength.jpg

Then there is this...
Untitled.jpeg

How about those professional Carolina Panthers that you “coached“? Must’ve not been buying into the workout program.

What does one have to do with the other?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom