2024 Spring Practice | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Spring Practice

Awesome video about Justin Barron...with some scrimmage highlights throughout and at the end. So pumped!

I was a fan of his before, but now even moreso! Even if we don't have the season we are expecting (and I think we will!), it's certainly not for lack of hard work. I've never been up at 5 a.m. to get a workout in. I have to talk myself into getting up 3x a week to get a 40 min workout in before work.

I love these inside scoops and seeing what goes into being a D1 athlete. Really hope they kill it this year!

Things change over time. Perspectives change. Priorities change sometimes, too.

I think Dino wanted to do well at SU. And did everything that HE knew how to win at the highest level he could. I think that is every single person's intention when they take a job.

How they react to circumstances that they can control and maybe more important, things they can't control, will likely make or break how they're perceived and how much sustained success they have. I think the COVID year was a huge setback. I also think the fast-paced offense that had gotten us to become unique was offset by rule changes. He wasn't quick enough to adapt.

College-age kids have changed rapidly over time. They have a ton of power in this space. The way they communicate is completely different. Certain personality types are better suited to doing well in this landscape. Just because Justin Barron wasn't a fan or was going to leave if he returned, doesn't mean everyone hated him. I'm pretty sure Dino wanted all of his players to be successful. That's Barron projecting. Not necessarily fair.

Dino won 10 games as head coach at SU. His teams also made 3 bowl games in 8 years. Not great, but not horrific. This was also at a time when college football has made it much more difficult for a school like SU's to win consistently. Pasqualoni won 10 games 3 times, just once in his final 12 years. Coach Mac did it 2 times in 10 years. Marrone (for all the love he gets) never did it in a much less difficult conference. Shafer, Robinson, please.

I get that Fran Brown is exciting - I'm right there with everyone. I'm excited too. Extremely excited. And I'm not even a Babers fan necessarily - I thought it was time, just like a lot of others. But just because the end isn't great, doesn't mean Babers was terrible.
I think Dino did what he knew. He didnt have winning championship pedigree or training. Smart learned from Saban. Coach picked up from Smart everything he could to coach that type of team. Dino just didnt know what was needed for that type of team. I thought Dino had a chance for a while honestly. Year after 10-3 season i heard that when we played Notre Dame and ee basically hoped Dungey would run around and make things happen i was done. Thats not a offensive Mindset that anyone ever needs.

One of my biggest criticisms of Babers was the “giving up” just a bit early.

It sends a message to the team and not a good one
And it wasn’t just “giving up” in the 4th. There were times when we had 3 time outs left with opponent in their own territory at end of the first half and he wouldn’t even try to stop the clock and get the ball back. At least try and make them punt

And it wasn’t just “giving up” in the 4th. There were times when we had 3 time outs left with opponent in their own territory at end of the first half and he wouldn’t even try to stop the clock and get the ball back. At least try and make them punt
Honestly, it felt like he gave up on the North Carolina and FSU games before we even played them. I will never forget his big ole smile after the FSU game, because the schedule was going to be “easier” after that. Then Va Tech destroyed us, Shrader couldn’t throw and his 7 win mandate was going down the toilet. It really seemed like he approached NC and FSU as just don’t lose any key guys games. I think he just wanted to get to 7 wins and save his job, that is all that mattered

Honestly, it felt like he gave up on the North Carolina and FSU games before we even played them. I will never forget his big ole smile after the FSU game, because the schedule was going to be “easier” after that. Then Va Tech destroyed us, Shrader couldn’t throw and his 7 win mandate was going down the toilet. It really seemed like he approached NC and FSU as just don’t lose any key guys games. I think he just wanted to get to 7 wins and save his job, that is all that mattered

Knowing now, what we know with the 7 game mandate, I think this is certainly a possibility and why our game plan for those games was clearly play to get through the game safely.

With that being said, I want Dino to refund me the money for going to UNC now!!!!! LOL

EV And it wasn’t just “giving up” in the 4th. There n were times when we had 3 time outs left with opponent he e neverin their own territory at end of the first half and he ,wouldn’t even try to stop the clock and get the ball ,. At least try and make them punt
Look, when Dino arrived here he

I believe Dino froze up during games. Especially at clutch points. There were actually times that he had to use Multiple timeouts to provide himself with enough time to make a decision which would still often end up a head scratcher.
I'm not sure if he gave up or froze up. My two cents is he often froze.
It will be interesting to see if he ends up calling plays this fall and if so how he does.

But leaving the past aside for something more current (and positive), let this quotation sink in:

"I just want to line up and run power over and over again. And you know that we're runnin' the ball and you can't stop it. That's what that looks like to me. And they know we're runnin' it and they're runnin' a blitz to it and we still run it over and over again. Like that to me that's when you'll be mentally and physically tough."

Credit to Brent and Emily for their informative and entertaining podcasts, from which this excerpt was taken.

Last edited:
Found it interesting Baron talked about not wanting to play the same defense scheme. Seems like a more traditional setup is better for recruiting and retaining guys.

The move to the 3-3-5 made sense because of the struggles with recruiting DL for a traditional 4-3/3-4. Plus it gave us somewhat a unique look for opposing teams to prepare for.

But now that recruiting has picked back up, it makes sense to go back to a 4-3 look.

The move to the 3-3-5 made sense because of the struggles with recruiting DL for a traditional 4-3/3-4. Plus it gave us somewhat a unique look for opposing teams to prepare for.

But now that recruiting has picked back up, it makes sense to go back to a 4-3 look.
It also gave us two seasons in the top-20 nationally in either total or scoring defense (I forget which and am too lazy to look it up) and was a bright spot.

I get it from Barron’s perspective though (and defensive line). Their roles in the 3-3-5 don’t translate to the next level.

I don’t hate the 3-3-5. Think it was a solid move from the factors you listed. We’re in a different spot now, especially with the DC being a defensive line guy.

Beautiful throw, and McCord looks like he has a GoPro on his helmet today. Maybe we'll get some sweet video content later from the social media team
More likely being used to analyze McCord’s tendencies, reads and reactions. McDaniels on the Phins uses a gopro on Tua’s helmet to fine tune the offense from the QB’s perspective.

Smart

More likely being used to analyze McCord’s tendencies, reads and reactions. McDaniels on the Phins uses a gopro on Tua’s helmet to fine tune the offense from the QB’s perspective.

Smart
"D" as in Details

It also gave us two seasons in the top-20 nationally in either total or scoring defense (I forget which and am too lazy to look it up) and was a bright spot.

I get it from Barron’s perspective though (and defensive line). Their roles in the 3-3-5 don’t translate to the next level.

I don’t hate the 3-3-5. Think it was a solid move from the factors you listed. We’re in a different spot now, especially with the DC being a defensive line guy.

Yeah I totally understand Barron's perspective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom