Here was my guess before this article

Center - 1 Reed, 2 More, 3 Ilaoa
Guard - 1 Miller, Moeolo; 2 Hornsby, Ellis; 3 Mack, Bass
Tackle - 1 ECJ, Weatherspoon; 2 Wohlabaugh, Bradford; 3 Petry, JCruz

4th - Rosahac, Goodacre, Miles, Brown-Miller

Center - that looks right

Guard - 1 Bradford and Petry; 2. Moeolo, JCruz,

Tackle - 1 ECJ, Weatherspoon; 2 Miller, Mack

Some of it makes sense, Hornsby isn’t on campus, Wohlabaugh is injured, Ellis is limited. With Bass and Ilaoa that’s the current third unit.

Good for them but didn’t expect Bradford and Petry to be competing for starting spots.

This whole group is in pencil.
When it shakes out after fall I do not see either Petry or Bradford on the 2 deep let alone starting.

I’ve never understood the love for Peña. I’d like to be surprised and impressed with him this year, but he’s someone who I never think about as a possible contributor.
To me, Pena is like the player on the opposing team that, when he has the ball in his hands, you're holding your breath. Very fast and shifty. Great punt returner. I like him a lot!

To me, Pena is like the player on the opposing team that, when he has the ball in his hands, you're holding your breath. Very fast and shifty. Great punt returner. I like him a lot!
Totally agree...
He's the type of player you want to get "out in space"..the first guy is gonna miss...
k/o/punt returns,,,and he's got the hands to be a weapon out of a slot formation.

I’ve never understood the love for Peña. I’d like to be surprised and impressed with him this year, but he’s someone who I never think about as a possible contributor.

To me he’s kind of a gadget type player that was not used well in the previous offense. He’s going to make 2-3 plays a game but in the right situation they’re impact plays. He’s nothing like Devin Hester but he’s in that role of player. Can make plays but than can be overused in a way that he ends up being completely ineffective.

To me he’s kind of a gadget type player that was not used well in the previous offense. He’s going to make 2-3 plays a game but in the right situation they’re impact plays. He’s nothing like Devin Hester but he’s in that role of player. Can make plays but than can be overused in a way that he ends up being completely ineffective.

Yeah, I think this board (and myself) have overvalued him in the past, due to the handful of impact plays he’s made over his career to date.

Ideally he’s a PR & a backup WR.

I’m hoping we have enough talent in the WR room now that he’s not a starter there.
But is a guy who can come in on 3rd down, or just to give starters a rest, and be effective in the plays he does get.

Yup, exactly

Low volume, high impact

Not a guy you build your offense around but a guy that will pop for 100 yards a score or two if you get distracted by OG, Zeed, etc

Last edited:
With all this NIL and portal crap that has changed the college landscape, I’m surprised that there are still restrictions on practice schedules and coach contact. I’m sure there is still heavy influence year round but it’s basically a pro sport now with little to no off season.

See, that’s what I’m talking about. If he was on an opposing team, he wouldn’t make me nervous at all. In fact, other than one play against Clemson, he’s not been much of a threat at all on offense. Other than a KR against Rutgers, I think, he’s been a non factor in the return game. Actually, he makes me nervous as a returner. If he’s a bit piece and not counted on to be a major contributor, I’m fine with him coming off the bench.

With all this NIL and portal crap that has changed the college landscape, I’m surprised that there are still restrictions on practice schedules and coach contact. I’m sure there is still heavy influence year round but it’s basically a pro sport now with little to no off season.
They can’t remove those restrictions for the sake of both the players and coaches. I don’t think anybody would want that. There has to be some set of rules.

See, that’s what I’m talking about. If he was on an opposing team, he wouldn’t make me nervous at all. In fact, other than one play against Clemson, he’s not been much of a threat at all on offense. Other than a KR against Rutgers, I think, he’s been a non factor in the return game. Actually, he makes me nervous as a returner. If he’s a bit piece and not counted on to be a major contributor, I’m fine with him coming off the bench.
Agreed. He has 1 KR TD his Freshman year 5 years ago, and other than that hasn't really ever come close to another one. He's very average at kick returning

After listening the Dan Vallari podcast and now this comment, it seems a lot of injuries weren't being address properly under Dino.
You can blame Dino for many things and with good reason. But this, by far, is not one of them. Injury assessment, treatment plans, clearance to participate, concussion protocols, and surgery decisions are unilaterally controlled by the medical and training staffs.

I for one am glad that it looks like Pena can contribute. He's a good punt returner, and I think he can add something to the offense without being a guy that demands the ball a ton. Two to three touches on offense a game and he can make a bit of a difference.

Yeah, I think this board (and myself) have overvalued him in the past, due to the handful of impact plays he’s made over his career to date.

Ideally he’s a PR & a backup WR.

I’m hoping we have enough talent in the WR room now that he’s not a starter there.
But is a guy who can come in on 3rd down, or just to give starters a rest, and be effective in the plays he does get.
I view the Pena as a potential Wes Welker or Julian Edelman on the roster. Quick, fast, shifty, and tough as nails.

Whereas I view him more as a Jeff Lowe. I hope that you’re right and I’m wrong.
What's wrong with Jeff Lowe?

He was playing behind a ton of talent during his time at SU.

If we had Jeff Lowe on our team the last 5 years, he would have played a ton and produced.

What's wrong with Jeff Lowe?

He was playing behind a ton of talent during his time at SU.

If we had Jeff Lowe on our team the last 5 years, he would have played a ton and produced.
Nothing at all. That’s my point. He was a nice little piece to the offense. He wasn’t expected to carry the load, but could come in a make a catch or two every once in awhile. That’s where I view Peña.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom