2024 Transfer Thread | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Transfer Thread

wow both drew blanchard and anthony ghobriel in the portal. did not hear about either. FOGO shelves re-stocked
Blanchard is a solid pickup. Wonder if SU would have grabbed him first if he was available? Being he's proven at a high level.

Blanchard is a solid pickup. Wonder if SU would have grabbed him first if he was available? Being he's proven at a high level.

Maybe, I think the potential ceiling with Kohn is such that after Gunty he was likely the choice. Obviously the transition to D3 to D1 will be a challenge especially when you run into Naso, DeSouza, ND's tandem, etc.

wow both drew blanchard and anthony ghobriel in the portal. did not hear about either. FOGO shelves re-stocked

Interesting to see where both end up. Have to think Hopkins and UNC may have interest in one or both. I could see Rutty jumping on this as well, they already have like a dozen transfers what's one more.

Interesting to see where both end up. Have to think Hopkins and UNC may have interest in one or both. I could see Rutty jumping on this as well, they already have like a dozen transfers what's one more.
rutgers is said to be looking closely at utah's cole brams

hopkins and gtown could use an extra fogo. i also would not put it past lars to double up there even after desouza

hopkins and gtown could use an extra fogo. i also would not put it past lars to double up there even after desouza

Brams would make sense, RU definitely needs another FOGO and he put up pretty good numbers. That said its a decent jump from Utah to B10 fogo's who look stacked save for Hop right now. Still a good pick up though.

Thought the same on Lars but they did bring in a very late FOGO recruit to go with DeSouza plus Braun. I guess it depends if Blanchard or Ghobriel are OK being in a split or want to be the clear #1. Would make more sense for Blanchard giving he's only got a year left.

Good call on G-town, Ghobriel especially would be a good fit.

that'd be surprising to me. braun redshirted the year likely with some quid pro quo. be there if one of the 2 go down, but preserve eligibility for both the player and team otherwise.

and they've played the last several years with just 2 healthy fogos, and sometimes one. decent chance both of these guys were in the portal before they pulled the trigger on desouza.

Am I missing something with Blanchard? Between Hobart and Ohio State he's played five seasons (excluding 2020). He played only two games his true freshman season in 2018 but even taking that away (assuming injury redshirt) you still have four seasons played. He played only five games in 2021 so perhaps that's another injury redshirt season? He's clearly very good (60% for his career) but the most amount of face-offs he's taken in a season is 131 (Richusa, even splitting time took 252 this season). Must have decided to leave with Tommy Burke coming in.

You don't see many kids transferring from a Service Academy after they've started their career. For what it's worth Navy included "other schools considered" in their player bio for Ghobriel and he listed the following schools: Air Force, Brown, Harvard, Maryland, Princeton and Villanova.

Am I missing something with Blanchard? Between Hobart and Ohio State he's played five seasons (excluding 2020). He played only two games his true freshman season in 2018 but even taking that away (assuming injury redshirt) you still have four seasons played. He played only five games in 2021 so perhaps that's another injury redshirt season? He's clearly very good (60% for his career) but the most amount of face-offs he's taken in a season is 131 (Richusa, even splitting time took 252 this season). Must have decided to leave with Tommy Burke coming in.

You don't see many kids transferring from a Service Academy after they've started their career. For what it's worth Navy included "other schools considered" in their player bio for Ghobriel and he listed the following schools: Air Force, Brown, Harvard, Maryland, Princeton and Villanova.
tho it's not mentioned anywhere, likely he got a medical redshirt in both 2018 and 2019 (2 and 1 games listed... but it would probably need to be 1 and 1 games and that that's not accurate). then 2020, and 3 years of playing '21-'23. challenging bluto at this point.

the 2/c year for usna is junior year. if you show up then, you're signing for the military obligation. after soph year isn't rare.

Last edited:
that'd be surprising to me. braun redshirted the year likely with some quid pro quo. be there if one of the 2 go down, but preserve eligibility for both the player and team otherwise.

and they've played the last several years with just 2 healthy fogos, and sometimes one. decent chance both of these guys were in the portal before they pulled the trigger on desouza.

yes playing with 1-2 healthy fogos is definitely something they should keep doing

neither were in the portal before uva took in desouza

yes playing with 1-2 healthy fogos is definitely something they should keep doing

neither were in the portal before uva took in desouza
they have 3 now. and do have a mandate on roster size. tho this year's was their largest ever (albeit with probably more redshirts than ever). they'll lose probably 15-16+ guys and have 12 coming in so far. so there's conceivably room, but 2023 might've been understood to be a one time thing. and they need another ssdm (imo).

xanders gets updated by somebody somehow. but he doesn't have access to the portal. we don't know when they entered, just when they were reported. unless you have some inside info?

What a Haul...

Screen Shot 2023-06-22 at 3.09.19 PM.png
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/di-men-s-transfer-portal-tracker-2023/61686

e a mandate on roster size. tho this year's was their largest ever (albeit with probably more redshirts than ever). they'll lose probably 15-16+ guys and have 12 coming in so far. so there's conceivably room, but 2023 might've been understood to be a one time thing. and they need another ssdm (imo).

How many quality SSDMs are there in the portal right now? I think Goorno from Bowdoin might be the the biggest name out there, though plenty might not be labeled (or not public about being in the portal). Outside of Pederson there aren't a lot of big name SSDMs to choose from, and they seem to be in high demand. Feels like last year with FOGOs.

UVA has Braun who was under 45% his last full season (120 attempts), DeSouza who has split time most of his career and a freshman who they just seemed to have flipped from Bates a week ago (and was the backup for his high school team). That seems pretty dangerous given they'll face some very good FOGOs next year.

They rode the LaSalla train pretty much until the wheels fell off but can't expect the same sort of iron man performance next year. I also don't think they bring in another guy for their recruiting class next year. I could definitely see them looking at Ghobriel, who will be a junior next year.

Interesting that Ohio State has two players enter the portal who were transfers into the team (LaCalalandra and Blanchard).

Last edited:
Interesting that Ohio State has two players enter the portal who were transfers into the team (LaCalalandra and Blanchard).
utterly broken culture. things are going to implode in columbus harder than an amateur submersible at the bottom of the ocean if there isn't a turnaround next season

How many quality SSDMs are there in the portal right now? I think Goorno from Bowdoin might be the the biggest name out there, though plenty might not be labeled (or not public about being in the portal). Outside of Pederson there aren't a lot of big name SSDMs to choose from, and they seem to be in high demand. Feels like last year with FOGOs.

UVA has Braun who was under 45% his last full season (120 attempts), DeSouza who has split time most of his career and a freshman who they just seemed to have flipped from Bates a week ago (and was the backup for his high school team). That seems pretty dangerous given they'll face some very good FOGOs next year.

They rode the LaSalla train pretty much until the wheels fell off but can't expect the same sort of iron man performance next year. I also don't think they bring in another guy for their recruiting class next year. I could definitely see them looking at Ghobriel, who will be a junior next year.

i don't know how many. lot of listed middies, though. some of those are ssdms. hoos have been converting fogos and attackmen, mostly successfully, so maybe there's a plan. right now, they only have 3 guys that have any real experience at all.

braun may either come out as a monster from a year in the weight room or as rusty as an alum. maybe we'll know which whether they go after these guys.

Last edited:
hearing virginia is very much interested in ghobriel. HS teammate thomas mencke is there. hopkins interested as well. a few other teams are hovering

virginia increasingly looking like the possible destination for tufts' jack boyden.

in addition to the players above + yager and desousa, hoos wanted pederson and several others. lars is not being "selective" this cycle. considerably more active than tillman this year. the sabre won't like hearing that

hearing virginia is very much interested in ghobriel. HS teammate thomas mencke is there. hopkins interested as well. a few other teams are hovering

virginia increasingly looking like the possible destination for tufts' jack boyden.

in addition to the players above + yager and desousa, hoos wanted pederson and several others. lars is not being "selective" this cycle. considerably more active than tillman this year. the sabre won't like hearing that
Maryland already has 4 transfers.

Maryland already has 4 transfers.
and?

virginia has pursued more players in the portal than maryland has this cycle. it's a fact

maryland wanted pederson badly. almost got him. close but no cigar. but other than that they haven't been in on many guys outside the 4 they have and 2-3 of them were a package deal