2024 Transfer Thread | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Transfer Thread

Thought I'd try and do a roundup of whose available right now in the transfer portal. College Football publications like to keep updated rankings of whose available. IL use to do this, but they now just seem to rank transfer classes at the start of the year. There are A LOT of players in the portal right now, but in terms of house hold names, not that many. I'm sure I'm missing some good players from smaller schools, but I did my best. Chime in if you think I've missed some one, or have my order wrong. A lot of these players may have decided to hang things up or may already be committed somewhere.

1. Josh Zawada, Attack, Michigan - Four Year starter for Michigan, 65 points last year, 213 for his career. The Wolverines look to be very good next year, personally I think he's keeping his options open. I'd wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back in Ann Arbor but Michigan adding Justin Tiernan from Lehigh from the portal makes things intriguing.
2. Alex Vardaro, Midfield, Princeton - 49 points last year, 120 for his career. Nyclax said he had committed to Duke already, though that hasn't been confirmed. A very balanced player who had 26 goals and 23 assists last year.
3. Matt Gunty, Face-off, Brown - 58% for his career. The best FOGO prospect in the portal though there are lots of rumors that he's decided to hang it up. No official word though. I have to imagine his services were highly sought after.
4. Jack Boyden, Attack, Tufts - 157 points last year, 310 for his career. First DIII player on the list. Voted best DIII player in the country last year. Canadian. I actually haven't seen anything official about him being in the portal, he's just listed on the FanLax page. I have to think he'd get a lot of offers from DI schools.
5. Jack McKenna, Attack/Midfield, Fairfield - 45 points as a freshman. Big kid at 6-6, 240. CAA Rookie of the Year. Connecticut native, have to think a lot of schools are after him.
6. Mathew DeSouza, Face-off, Binghamton - 62% winning percentage last year, 58% for his career. Similar to Gunty, he might have decided to call an end to his college career. Sounds like SU has gone after him and Gunty so would be frustrating to lose out on both.
7. Griffin King, Attack/Midfield, Brown - 25 points last year, 45 in two years. Looks to have played attack last year for Brown. Big kid from Nisky at 6'2 215. Rumored to have commited to Maryland.
8. Brandon Aviles, SSDM, Syracuse - Top SSDM for Syracuse. Struggled at times but also had some very good moments. Perhaps better suited as an offensive midfielder. Rumored to be Georgetown bound but that may have changed. Haven't gotten an update in a while.
9. Willie Grieco, Attack, Wingate - DII star, 88 points last year, 314 for his career. Rumored to have committed to Jacksonville but nothing official yet.
10. Zach Goorno, SSDM, Bowdoin - DIII First Team All American. Like Boyden I haven't seen this listed official anywhere yet. Feels like teams always need good SSDMs. Some more than others right now.

There are other names to keep an eye on, Thomas McIntyre (Holy Cross), Sean Donnelley (Drexel), Conor Beals and TJ Gravante (Mount St Mary's), Rich LaCaladara (Ohio State). JT Roselle from UNC is listed as back in the portal but I thought he had run out of eligibility. My list is probably pretty heavy with SSDMs and FOGOs but that's who I've been focused on as a Syracuse fan. In terms of players that SU should go after, pretty much every FOGO or SSDM on the list. After that I think they would be well served to recruit Zawada or Boyden, despite the fact it would make that side of the field pretty crowded. Anyways the portal is fun to keep track of. Hopefully we get more answers over the next few days.

Some players look to have committed recently, Jeremy Hopsicker (A) from Notre Dame to Brown, Gavin Tygh (FO) from Maryland to St. Joe's, Paul Reidy (G) from Delaware to Jacksonville

Last edited:
Thought I'd try and do a roundup of whose available right now in the transfer portal. College Football publications like to keep updated rankings of whose available. IL use to do this, but they now just seem to rank transfer classes at the start of the year. There are A LOT of players in the portal right now, but in terms of house hold names, not that many. I'm sure I'm missing some good players from smaller schools, but I did my best. Chime in if you think I've missed some one, or have my order wrong. A lot of these players may have decided to hang things up or may already be committed somewhere.

1. Josh Zawada, Attack, Michigan - Four Year starter for Michigan, 65 points last year, 213 for his career. The Wolverines look to be very good next year, personally I think he's keeping his options open. I'd wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back in Ann Arbor but Michigan adding Justin Tiernan from Lehigh from the portal makes things intriguing.
2. Alex Vardaro, Midfield, Princeton - 49 points last year, 120 for his career. 58% for his career. The best FOGO prospect in the portal though there are lots of rumors that he's decided to hang it up. No official word though. I have to imagine his services were highly sought after.
4. Jack Boyden, Attack, Tufts - 157 points last year, 310 for his career. First DIII player on the list. Voted best DIII player in the country last year. Canadian. I actually haven't seen anything official about him being in the portal, he's just listed on the FanLax page. I have to think he'd get a lot of offers from DI schools.
5. Jack McKenna, Attack/Midfield, Fairfield - 45 points as a freshman. Big kid at 6-6, 240. CAA Rookie of the Year. Connecticut native, have to think a lot of schools are after him.
6. Mathew DeSouza, Face-off, Binghamton - 62% winning percentage last year, 58% for his career. Similar to Gunty, he might have decided to call an end to his college career. Sounds like SU has gone after him and Gunty so would be frustrating to lose out on both.
7. Griffin King, Attack/Midfield, Brown - 25 points last year, 45 in two years. Looks to have played attack last year for Brown. Big kid from Nisky at 6'2 215. Rumored to have commited to Maryland.
8. Brandon Aviles, SSDM, Syracuse - Top SSDM for Syracuse. Struggled at times but also had some very good moments. Perhaps better suited as an offensive midfielder. Rumored to be Georgetown bound but that may have changed. Haven't gotten an update in a while.
9. Willie Grieco, Attack, Wingate - DII star, 88 points last year, 314 for his career. Rumored to have committed to Jacksonville but nothing official yet.
10. Zach Goorno, SSDM, Bowdoin - DIII First Team All American. Like Boyden I haven't seen this listed official anywhere yet. Feels like teams always need good SSDMs. Some more than others right now.

There are other names to keep an eye on, Thomas McIntyre (Holy Cross), Sean Donnelley (Drexel), Conor Beals and TJ Gravante (Mount St Mary's), Rich LaCaladara (Ohio State). JT Roselle from UNC is listed as back in the portal but I thought he had run out of eligibility. My list is probably pretty heavy with SSDMs and FOGOs but that's who I've been focused on as a Syracuse fan. In terms of players that SU should go after, pretty much every FOGO or SSDM on the list. After that I think they would be well served to recruit Zawada or Boyden, despite the fact it would make that side of the field pretty crowded. Anyways the portal is fun to keep track of. Hopefully we get more answers over the next few days.

Some players look to have committed recently, Jeremy Hopsicker (A) from Notre Dame to Brown, Gavin Tygh (FO) from Maryland to St. Joe's, Paul Reidy (G) from Delaware to Jacksonville

You combined 2 and 3

Tufts tagged Syracuse in this post dedicated to Mason Kohn, best DIII FOGO last year …

That would be a very nice grab by us. Tagging us like that is quite promising. Staff killing it in the offseason. He looks pretty big and strong too which is promising for the transition to D1. Competition bump will be significant but he should be a good one still.

Tufts tagged Syracuse in this post dedicated to Mason Kohn, best DIII FOGO last year …

I am sure I am missing it but where do you see the Syracuse tag?

Edit - Nevermind I see it.

Last edited:
That would be a very nice grab by us. Tagging us like that is quite promising. Staff killing it in the offseason. He looks pretty big and strong too which is promising for the transition to D1. Competition bump will be significant but he should be a good one still.

If SU was tagged he is coming here, no school tags another like that for no reason. SU isn't tagging Virginia in Spallina highlights. That said this would be a huge pickup, obviously a competition increase and likely a massive one in D3 to D1 but still from an SU standpoint this is a massive get.

2. Alex Vardaro, Midfield, Princeton - 49 points last year, 120 for his career. Nyclax said he had committed to Duke already, though that hasn't been confirmed.
nah i didn't say that. he visited duke way way back and had been linked there. he still could be duke bound but he has other options. i believe georgetown, virginia and hop may be in play

Yeah it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to find out. A little sleuthing on Kohn’s IG page and you see some of his buddies dropping Orange emoji’s in the comments.

Looks to have been an alternate captain on the Tufts hockey team as well. I think he would have 2 years of eligibility but someone correct me if I’m wrong there.

If SU was tagged he is coming here, no school tags another like that for no reason. SU isn't tagging Virginia in Spallina highlights. That said this would be a huge pickup, obviously a competition increase and likely a massive one in D3 to D1 but still from an SU standpoint this is a massive get.
Agree .. he got the size at 215.. would be awesome.. and maybe his buddy Jack Boyden comes with him.. I know a few people have said no more offensive people but I think they could find room for him.. plus I also think they may play with a third line next year

The Orange have also picked up lefty attackman Christian Mulé (Lehigh) as a grad transfer, as well as former Princeton midfielder Sammy English, who will have two years of eligibility with Gary Gait's program while working on his MBA. Former Union shortstick Jake Titus, a second team All-American in 2023, will also head to Syracuse.

The Orange have also picked up lefty attackman Christian Mulé (Lehigh) as a grad transfer, as well as former Princeton midfielder Sammy English, who will have two years of eligibility with Gary Gait's program while working on his MBA. Former Union shortstick Jake Titus, a second team All-American in 2023, will also head to Syracuse.

Yup saw that, confirms the long running rumor on Titus. Good pickup, he will slide into a starting spot for sure.

Agree .. he got the size at 215.. would be awesome.. and maybe his buddy Jack Boyden comes with him.. I know a few people have said no more offensive people but I think they could find room for him.. plus I also think they may play with a third line next year
I'm still firmly in the no more offense camp, no matter how good the guy is. We have a core unit that developed some incredible chemistry next season. We have seen teams that go crazy in the portal struggle in the early season to get the new components integrated (look at GTown last season). No pass given for early season games come selection time. It would be a totally different looking team on offense if we brought in and played even more guys than we already have, and the old crew was already top 5 in offensive efficiency. With every new guy you add there are diminishing returns and increasing potential for negative consequences.

We have all the weapons we need there. Would say no to pretty much any other transfer except ssdm types. Would be a middle finger to some of our top young talent to add more to the offense IMO.

I'm still firmly in the no more offense camp, no matter how good the guy is. We have a core unit that developed some incredible chemistry next season. We have seen teams that go crazy in the portal struggle in the early season to get the new components integrated (look at GTown last season). No pass given for early season games come selection time. It would be a totally different looking team on offense if we brought in and played even more guys than we already have, and the old crew was already top 5 in offensive efficiency. With every new guy you add there are diminishing returns and increasing potential for negative consequences.

We have all the weapons we need there. Would say no to pretty much any other transfer except ssdm types. Would be a middle finger to some of our top young talent to add more to the offense IMO.
Good point!!

Desouza to UVA makes a lot of sense for both parties. UVA even with Desouza is still razor thin at the position.