2024 Yankees Season | Page 118 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Yankees Season

I'm a Royals fan who is too young to have any memory of the KC-NYY playoff series from the 70's and early 80's, but they were pounded into my head growing up (when the Royals were perennially cheap and irrelevant) to convince me that the team used to be salty as hell. After all, those series comprised nearly all of the Royals' postseason history for the first two generations of their existence.

The hatred between the teams has long since faded but I'm looking forward to seeing what we can do.

I'm a Royals fan who is too young to have any memory of the KC-NYY playoff series from the 70's and early 80's, but they were pounded into my head growing up (when the Royals were perennially cheap and irrelevant) to convince me that the team used to be salty as hell. After all, those series comprised nearly all of the Royals' postseason history for the first two generations of their existence.

The hatred between the teams has long since faded but I'm looking forward to seeing what we can do.
Those Royals teams were stocked with great players and the 2 teams matched up very well. The 3 consecutive series between 1976 and 1978 were all classics. Not sure what you mean about the hatred part. Willie Randolph and Hal McRae were best of friends. As were Graig Nettles and George Brett. :rolleyes:

Those Royals teams were stocked with great players and the 2 teams matched up very well. The 3 consecutive series between 1976 and 1978 were all classics. Not sure what you mean about the hatred part. Willie Randolph and Hal McRae were best of friends. As were Graig Nettles and George Brett. :rolleyes:
Not sure many Yankees fans were fans of George Brett, either before or after the pine tar incident. Great playrt though.

Not sure many Yankees fans were fans of George Brett, either before or after the pine tar incident. Great playrt though.
I was young, but I always liked the Royals, despite being a Yankee fan. I liked George Brett, Frank White, Darrell Porter (with his goofy glasses), UL Washington (with the badass toothpick), Willie Wilson...

Edit: I forgot the pitchers...how about freaking Quisenberry with that unique delivery. Splittorff, Gura and Dennis Leonard!!!

Last edited:
I was young, but I always liked the Royals, despite being a Yankee fan. I liked George Brett, Frank White, Darrell Porter (with his goofy glasses), UL Washington (with the badass toothpick), Willie Wilson...

Edit: I forgot the pitchers...how about freaking Quisenberry with that unique delivery. Splittorff, Gura and Dennis Leonard!!!
The mad Hungarian Al Hrabosky or how about Mark Liittel? I remember them playing “ Thank God I’m a country boy “ every time Littel would be called from the bullpen.

His 8th inning 3 run homer to tie game 5 in 1976 set up one of the great moments of that era with Chambliss’s walkoff in the bottom of the 9th to send the Yankees to the World Series for the first time since 1964.

I don't care whatever excuses Yankees company man Andy Martino tries to offer up. With the AL Central, whom the Yankees have dominated this century, being the path to the World Series there is no excuse if the Yankees don't get there. In this season where everything has broken their way if they don't get there then this group will never get there.

I don't care whatever excuses Yankees company man Andy Martino tries to offer up. With the AL Central, whom the Yankees have dominated this century, being the path to the World Series there is no excuse if the Yankees don't get there. In this season where everything has broken their way if they don't get there then this group will never get there.
The excuse is the postseason is random. It is demonstrated every season. They play a 162 game season to filter out the noise to determine whom is best. All of these teams finish within a handful of games of each other. All-time great teams lose 2 out 3, 3 out of 5, and 4 out of 7 during the courses of their seasons. Yet, we want to judge players, managers, and front offices on how they perform in these short samples. It is silly.

The excuse is the postseason is random. It is demonstrated every season. They play a 162 game season to filter out the noise to determine whom is best. All of these teams finish within a handful of games of each other. All-time great teams lose 2 out 3, 3 out of 5, and 4 out of 7 during the courses of their seasons. Yet, we want to judge players, managers, and front offices on how they perform in these short samples. It is silly.
Yeah that's true. But what's the limit? How many years in a row not advancing to x round is acceptable because of sample size or randomness? Just trying to understand what you would call a cutoff between "well that's random postseason baseball!" and "this team is underperforming". If it's truly random, things will eventually even out back to the mean, right?

Yeah that's true. But what's the limit? How many years in a row not advancing to x round is acceptable because of sample size or randomness? Just trying to understand what you would call a cutoff between "well that's random postseason baseball!" and "this team is underperforming". If it's truly random, things will eventually even out back to the mean, right?
I am totally fine with saying that a team underperformed in a short sample, but that won’t be how I evaluate that team.

Things evening out would take too long. I don’t believe there is a magic formula for postseason success, at least there is no evidence for one.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot morning drive guy, I wonder about Judge's mental/emotional acumen in October. He went 1 for 20 in the 2017 ALDS, but bounced back with a big ALCS. And he was good in the 2019 playoffs until the ALCS, but in his last three trips to the postseason, he’s hit a combined .143/.208/.357 in 77 plate appearances. He has five homers in that stretch, but he also has 25 strikeouts.

Looking back, A-Rod had his postseason struggles until he didn't, so the same could happen for Judge, but until then I think it's fair to wonder about lingering effects if he has a bad game tomorrow.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot morning drive guy, I wonder about Judge's mental/emotional acumen in October. He went 1 for 20 in the 2017 ALDS, but bounced back with a big ALCS. And he was good in the 2019 playoffs until the ALCS, but in his last three trips to the postseason, he’s hit a combined .143/.208/.357 in 77 plate appearances. He has five homers in that stretch, but he also has 25 strikeouts.

Looking back, A-Rod had his postseason struggles until he didn't, so the same could happen for Judge, but until then I think it's fair to wonder about lingering effects if he has a bad game tomorrow.
Something something sample size.

BUT, Cleveland really had his # which contributed to a large chunk of those Ks.

Since the wild card took over in 95 there have been 29 World Series and only 7 times has the team with the best record won.Yankees in 98 and 2009 being two of those.

I come-off as a Cashman-lover because I’m usually mocking the knee jerk overreactions of a spoiled fan base. I’m actually luke warm on him. For me, the biggest blemish on his resume is not the recent lack of postseason success, it is winning the division only three times since 2013. I don’t expect them to win the division every year, but three times in eleven seasons (omitting 2020) is not impressive for a team with significant advantages.

2nd and 3rd no outs and Yankees don’t score. Playoff RISP futility same as it ever was

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom