2025 Preseason Top 20 Lookahead | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2025 Preseason Top 20 Lookahead

Ahhh man why are they giving me hope with Kohn? He is listed as one of our seniors in their writeup but believe it has been confirmed for a while now that he is not coming back.

Ahhh man why are they giving me hope with Kohn? He is listed as one of our seniors in their writeup but believe it has been confirmed for a while now that he is not coming back.

He also has his former teammate returning at UVA (Boyden) both are gone.

Don't get me wrong I love seeing us in that number 2 spot, but it essentially seems like both rankings are playing a numbers game of how well a team did last year and who they lose. On paper I think it is fair to put us at 2, but we have similar question marks to teams 2-9. Can we shore up some weakness at ssdm and on the wing with just the talent on our roster and a couple transfers? Wing talent is probably the biggest one, with us losing Stevens Olexo and Wright all at once, not to mention gb/instant offense machine Kohn. Think we will need some younger talent too step up if we want to stay at a similar level to last year at that spot. Odierna will be more settled in as well, which could go a long way.

I really like our talent on O and at close defense. Figueras being as advertised and fully recovered from the knee injury is huge. He had an insanely good year and is just getting started. All losses at those spots are manageable and we have plenty of quality replacements waiting in the wings. If we can find another step forward in consistancy from the offense and handle the easier things like getting man up back on track, then the sky is the limit next year. Along with teams 2-9, team #1 has their fair share of question marks as well. It feels very wide open.

the consensus no. 2 ranking is dangerous for a team that hasn't been to the final four let alone a title game in over a decade and is short in senior leadership relative to some other teams...they need to handle the pressure and expectations well...no reason to expect they wont but it's a lot for a team to handle when they havent been there before...with all respect to hiltz no one has ever accused him of being an inspiring leader so some of these other seniors and grad students need to step up and set the tone...we will see...personally i would temper expectations slightly and put them closer to 4 or 5 but who knows...the pundits could be onto something

the consensus no. 2 ranking is dangerous for a team that hasn't been to the final four let alone a title game in over a decade and is short in senior leadership relative to some other teams...they need to handle the pressure and expectations well...no reason to expect they wont but it's a lot for a team to handle when they havent been there before...with all respect to hiltz no one has ever accused him of being an inspiring leader so some of these other seniors and grad students need to step up and set the tone...we will see...personally i would temper expectations slightly and put them closer to 4 or 5 but who knows...the pundits could be onto something

Well, it's certainly more welcome than the past few years when the team was in the wilderness. The team should be ready for it, the leaders came in as the Number 1 ranked recruiting class, and they came to Syracuse after all. If they didn't want pressure, then go somewhere else.

I feel a little vindicated for ranking SU on my own preseason list (who ultimately cares what I think), but it's still also a little surreal to see the two most highly respected lacrosse publications agree. Syracuse brings back a lot of really good players, and unlike other teams, aren't trying to re-invent the wheel. It's interesting since there are teams that bring back a lot but didn't make the tournament last year (or flamed out early) including most of the Ivy's (Penn, Princeton, Yale, Cornel). Teams that are kind of remaking themselves on the fly (Duke, Maryland, to some extent UVA). Syracuse and Notre Dame are kind of unique examples. Both have work to do, but bring back a ton of talent. I think SU brings back a bit more, but it's fair to give Notre Dame the benefit of the doubt given their recent history. Interesting also that neither did a ton of work in the portal and both are replacing goalies.

As for SU I had two big concerns before the transfer period kicked off - SSDM play and an additional attacking option. They brought in a little known SSDM from St John's and that was about it for the first concern. That said, they bring back pretty much everyone else from last year including two starters in Rice and LeVine. I would feel better if they had brought in someone else (especially since there were so many options out there), but if roster size really was a concern, I can understand the thinking. You have to hope there will be a jump from the younger players, and maybe a mystery player emerges.

As for the second concern, I'm not sure there was a sure thing starter out there that would have fit in with the Orange. Hackett from Bryant is the first that comes to mind, but really the Orange needed a right handed attackman who would have complimented Spallina. I could be wrong but I don't know if that player was out there. And taking guys just to take them, when you already have so many mouths to feed, could have backfired in regards to chemistry.

Anyways, all teams next year will have things to work on, Syracuse just feels like one that doesn't have a ton. Lot's of pressure sure, but it's better to be in this position than not.

looks like drago went to duke not sure why go there but good luck. Also they have fennel listed as short dmid isn’t he same person who was suppose to come then decommited n wasn’t he offensive middie ? so if same guy he went to duke to play dmid ? mean power to him but maby my bias of hatred for duke can’t understand why anyone would wanna go there lol.

looks like drago went to duke not sure why go there but good luck. Also they have fennel listed as short dmid isn’t he same person who was suppose to come then decommited n wasn’t he offensive middie ? so if same guy he went to duke to play dmid ? mean power to him but maby my bias of hatred for duke can’t understand why anyone would wanna go there lol.

He left to go to Duke b/c it's Duke, from how I heard it.

Both lax magazine and Inside Lacrosse have Duke at #7. Is that really reasonable given all that Duke lost?

Duke has put up a 2025 roster:
maryland in '23 was given at least a top 4 pre-season rank, maybe higher than that after losing a similar amount.
anyone that reads this stuff is lucky these guys get half the coming, going and staying correct.

Both lax magazine and Inside Lacrosse have Duke at #7. Is that really reasonable given all that Duke lost?

Duke has put up a 2025 roster:
duke has two transfers on there that im not sure were public...or maybe they were but i didnt hear about them...glavin from williams and o'callaghan from holy cross? that brings their total to 9 for the offseason...thing could be messy in durham this year...smells of desperation and bad juju

Pretty sure his brother’s commitment to Duke had a lot to do with it.

That's 100% why he's there. Nothing against Drago, quality guy and good player but he couldn't get on the field here, he's not suddenly going to be playing big minutes at Duke.

That's 100% why he's there. Nothing against Drago, quality guy and good player but he couldn't get on the field here, he's not suddenly going to be playing big minutes at Duke.
Agree

maryland in '23 was given at least a top 4 pre-season rank, maybe higher than that after losing a similar amount.
anyone that reads this stuff is lucky these guys get half the coming, going and staying correct.
Not a very good analogy.
Maryland had been won the title in 2022 and had been undefeated, while Duke lost before the final four. In Inside Lacrosse's final media poll Duke finished #6. [Preseason predictors often give the previous year's champion a fair amount of slack.]

Maryland in 2023 returned 5 All-Americans: Long, Makar, Zappitello, Wierman, and McNaney. Duke only returns 2: McAdorey and Aiden Maguire (ssdm).

Besides Long, Maryland had a large group of nice offensive players appearing to be waiting their turn in 2022: Maltz, Brennan, Murphy, Malever, J.Koras, Kelly, and Spanos.

I think you would have been better to just state your rationale. Something to the effect of:
"There is a group of teams: Maryland,, Virginia, Notre Dame and Duke, that are regularly near the top, and along with their not feeling that strongly about teams ranked lower than 7, they gave Duke the benefit of the doubt."

Last edited:
Also they have fennel listed as short dmid isn’t he same person who was suppose to come then decommited n wasn’t he offensive middie ? so if same guy he went to duke to play dmid ? mean power to him but maby my bias of hatred for duke can’t understand why anyone would wanna go there lol.

Steve Finnell from Garden City, yes he decommitted from Syracuse. SU has lost other players to schools who went onto move to SSDM and did quite well, Marquez White to Princeton and Carter Parelette to Notre Dame. Its not so crazy. Not sure if SU would have moved either, but they would have certainly seen lots of playing time for the Orange at that position had they kept their commitment. Shame we couldn't keep them (both part of the same recruiting class I think - Graham Blake from Harvard and Russ Maher to UVA also included).

3. Joey Spallina, Syracuse
The No. 22 is an upperclassman now. His career has potential to follow a storybook pattern: Tremendous hype and excitement that brought buzz and talent to one of the sport’s most historic programs. Production, adversity and criticism, but focus on the bigger goal and getting them to the NCAA Tournament his sophomore year. Now his team will be firmly in the Top 5 to start the season. Full reign of the offense and now what — a run deep into the tourney or even beyond?

Not a very good analogy.
Maryland had been won the title in 2022 and had been undefeated, while Duke lost in the final four. In Inside Lacrosse's final media poll Duke finished #6. [Preseason predictors often give the previous year's champion a fair amount of slack.]

Maryland in 2023 returned 5 All-Americans: Long, Makar, Zappitello, Wierman, and McNaney. Duke only returns 2: McAdorey and Aiden Maguire (ssdm).

Besides Long, Maryland had a large group of nice offensive players appearing to be waiting their turn in 2022: Maltz, Brennan, Murphy, Malever, J.Koras, Kelly, and Spanos.

I think you would have been better to just state your rationale. Something to the effect of:
"There is a group of teams: Maryland,, Virginia, Notre Dame and Duke, that are regularly near the top, and along with their not feeling that strongly about teams ranked lower than 7, they gave Duke the benefit of the doubt."
meh. i like my rationale just fine. duke lost in the quarters to your terps, btw.
so duke lost in quarters, loses a ton, and gets placed nearby. umd lost a ton, gets placed nearby (they may have been 1 or 2?).

all-americans is a proxy, not that good of one usually, me i'd look at all their losses in their 15-20. they had lost about 70%? of scoring. the also not-talked-about enough reason for that team was their shorties, and didn't they lose basically all 4-5 of them? to the pros?

young guys, schmoung guys. duke has young guys, they all do. maltz (who'd done it before), malever, murphy and long were what represented the proven commodities on offense. they did also have geppert back, losing rahill at close. just a ton of guys gone, though. plus their offensive coordinator, who finally got the team scoring more than 12 a game.

all that said, i hope dook implodes.

meh. i like my rationale just fine. duke lost in the quarters to your terps, btw.
so duke lost in quarters, loses a ton, and gets placed nearby. umd lost a ton, gets placed nearby (they may have been 1 or 2?).

all-americans is a proxy, not that good of one usually, me i'd look at all their losses in their 15-20. they had lost about 70%? of scoring. the also not-talked-about enough reason for that team was their shorties, and didn't they lose basically all 4-5 of them? to the pros?

young guys, schmoung guys. duke has young guys, they all do. maltz (who'd done it before), malever, murphy and long were what represented the proven commodities on offense. they did also have geppert back, losing rahill at close. just a ton of guys gone, though. plus their offensive coordinator, who finally got the team scoring more than 12 a game.

all that said, i hope dook implodes.
I mis-wrote about Duke and have corrected it.
As I say, I don't feel Maryland in 2022 and Duke of 2024 are close enough to form a good comparison.

Without getting into Duke needing to replace 2 starting d-men and an LSM, who are these young players at Duke on the offensive end that you are so high on.

I mis-wrote about Duke and have corrected it.
As I say, I don't feel Maryland in 2022 and Duke of 2024 are close enough to form a good comparison.

Without getting into Duke needing to replace 2 starting d-men and an LSM, who are these young players at Duke on the offensive end that you are so high on.
i actually didn't say i was high on any young duke players, said they all had them. what do you believe their lineup would look like?

my guess, sloat bumps down to attack maybe. then one of the hired guns fills out the other spot with mcadorey.

then johnston, with hired gunz or maybe delgado. between freshies and transfers, they'll have enough to look at for their top 9. papperdick probably can carve out a larger role.

thought they only lost brower at close? who else?

he's more of an lsm but carpenter played a lot of close last year. he is going to be missed big time

they lose the ENTIRE attack, top defenseman and cover guy, top lsm and groundball/wing player, top faceoff guy, three other midfield contributors...look at their senior class...it's a whole bunch of guys who have never played before outside of mcadorey and 1 or 2 others...the grad class is almost entirely transfers...soph and junior classes should be pretty good with maguire, sloat, johnston, etc...but they will be young, totally diff from last year in just about every way...

I guess it is their #2 LSM, Frisoli, who is also done - not a close d-man, my mistake.

The Wahoos have their roster up;

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom