2025 Preseason Top 20 Lookahead | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

2025 Preseason Top 20 Lookahead

that is the weakest virginia roster since tiffany's first or second year...they have earned the benefit of the doubt but it's been awhile since a uva team didnt really scare you and that team doesnt scare me tbh...fans saying the loss of shelly cormier kastner etc wont have a significant effect feels like cope to me...we shall see

that is the weakest virginia roster since tiffany's first or second year...they have earned the benefit of the doubt but it's been awhile since a uva team didnt really scare you and that team doesnt scare me tbh...fans saying the loss of shelly cormier kastner etc wont have a significant effect feels like cope to me...we shall see
I was thinking the other day about the Terps having to replace Zappitello. Will Schaller is probably the fastest of the Terps' defensemen and will probably have to cover the fast, talented attackmen that Zappitello handled so well. A tough assignment for Schaller, except that most of the fast, talented attackmen that Zappitello covered: Shellenberger(2), Malone(2), P.Kavanagh(2), Scott, Boehm, Zawada, Scott, Angelus are all gone too.

hoo are the fans that are saying the loss of those guys won't have a significant effect? yahoos on instagram?

I don't really think that the loss of Kastner will have a significant effect on Virginia's defense. Virginia returns a lot of defensemen, who will all be a year more experienced. UVa also brings in 2 top freshmen long poles - 5 star Hublitz and Snyder. To me, things looks solid there.

Replacing Shellenberger, Cormier, and also Boyden on the offense could be tougher. Virginia does bring in 4 five star offensive recruits, a couple of nice midfielder transfers, and has some talented upperclassmen who have been waiting their turn.

I don't really think that the loss of Kastner will have a significant effect on Virginia's defense. Virginia returns a lot of defensemen, who will all be a year more experienced. UVa also brings in 2 top freshmen long poles - 5 star Hublitz and Snyder. To me, things looks solid there.

Replacing Shellenberger, Cormier, and also Boyden on the offense could be tougher. Virginia does bring in 4 five star offensive recruits, a couple of nice midfielder transfers, and has some talented upperclassmen who have been waiting their turn.
i'm more concerned whether cassese has it and whether they'll ever develop and trust 2 lines of ssdms.
running #1-2 or 1-3 as often as possible just isn't an optimal way to play lacrosse now.

hoo's on 1st and what's on 2nd for the offense is also on the list.

lot of teams with questions.

i'm more concerned whether cassese has it and whether they'll ever develop and trust 2 lines of ssdms.
running #1-2 or 1-3 as often as possible just isn't an optimal way to play lacrosse now.

hoo's on 1st and what's on 2nd for the offense is also on the list.

lot of teams with questions.

I'm surprised the goalie position isn't getting more scrutiny. Matthew Nunes had a meltdown to end the season last year. In the last seven games of the year last year he finished with a 41% save percentage and was pulled from multiple games. I don't remember Kyle Morris being much better. Kind of surprised they didn't address this position in the offseason.

I'm surprised the goalie position isn't getting more scrutiny. Matthew Nunes had a meltdown to end the season last year. In the last seven games of the year last year he finished with a 41% save percentage and was pulled from multiple games. I don't remember Kyle Morris being much better. Kind of surprised they didn't address this position in the offseason.
he had a rough stretch, the acc is a tough place to be a goalie. but he's put in a lot of real good games and work over his 3 years. outside of entenmann, they haven't really been at a disadvantage to other acc's, imo. and morris has high expectations also. i like them both. bringing a ringer in would likely do more to upset the apple cart. they have a recruit in this year and next.

There is some question as to whether the people doing the early season rankings considered goalies as very valuable anyhow as their top 3 teams: ND,, Syracuse and Princeton all lost their All-American goalies. It is particularly notable with Princeton as they jumped up a lot despite losing their goalie.
Further, PSU who returns their 2nd team AA goalie, Fracyon, dropped to #11 in Lax Magazine and all the way to #14 in Inside Lacrosse. Apparently having Fracyon is pretty insignificant according to the Inside Lacrosse guy.

John Hopkins 2025 roster:

Ohio State's 2025 roster

North Carolina 2025 roster

Notre Dame 2025 roster

We listed links to UVa and Duke earlier.

Who plays lefty attack for UVA this Spring?

It looks like Thomas Mencke would be the most likely. I believe Ryan Colsey is a lefty and the freshman Sean Brown is a lefty. Balsamo is also a lefty.

It looks like Thomas Mencke would be the most likely. I believe Ryan Colsey is a lefty and the freshman Sean Brown is a lefty. Balsamo is also a lefty.
it's been only 3 weeks, on podcast tiffany gave recap on early returns. millon, then thruitt sunderland has played very strong, and then a battle for "the 3rd lefty attack spot", mencke, ryan colsey and balsamo. browne was touched on, but not sure for att. went into depth that balsamo and r. colsey look really good.

it's been only 3 weeks, on podcast tiffany gave recap on early returns. millon, then thruitt sunderland has played very strong, and then a battle for "the 3rd lefty attack spot", mencke, ryan colsey and balsamo. browne was touched on, but not sure for att. went into depth that balsamo and r. colsey look really good.

Someone has said that Dunkel is also out for the season? Maybe this was already known. Tough injury luck for him.

Someone has said that Dunkel is also out for the season? Maybe this was already known. Tough injury luck for him.
duenkel was conspicuously absent not having his name called. tiffany said a bunch of guys had shoulders and i believe surgery for a # of them, but doubt he was including him.

duenkel did his a year ago maybe plus. don't know if he redid, but missed spring. heard it was bad, but only dot plot is u20s selected him and pushed him thru 1st cuts even tho he didn't participate. i would expect he'll be recovered.

Last edited:
Penn State has listed their 2025 roster:
It appears that PSU has a 2nd transfer besides Aimone (Rutgers), that being sophomore attackman Ryan DiRocco from Army. DiRocco went to Haverford and was IL's #55 recruit in 2023

Pretty sure Maryland won’t have Hernandez to fill the Ajax void.

I was surprised not to hear any mention of our returners on defense.
I think Will Schaller is really the guy who will try to replace Zappitello.

The IL's guys seem like a bunch of ND homers putting ND on its own tier and saying they have no holes.

The IL's guys seem like a bunch of ND homers putting ND on its own tier and saying they have no holes.
One seemed to be a Maryland homer to me.

ND is back to back champs and returns the best roster in the country. i do not like them one bit, but they fully deserve to be #1 and in their own tier...really their only question mark is in goal. they are littered with talent at every other position

and as DMV said, kevin brown is a maryland alum and a huge terp homer. matt kinnear is also a maryland alum although not as homerish as brown. 2/3 of that panel are literally maryland alums. you sure do like to complain...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom