20th in latest CFP (Nov 20) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

20th in latest CFP (Nov 20)

That’s just crazy talk, man. The CFP is so much better than the BCS. If the BCS existed this year, you would have people in a room debating whether undefeated Clemson or undefeated ND gets to play Bama. How is that good for college football?
It would be Clemson and Alabama.
Notre Dame wouldn’t get in because of the 13th game.

I really want Georgia to beat Alabama, Michigan to win the Big Ten and Notre Dame to beat USC.

Clemson would be in.
I want to know which 3 of Georgia, Alabama, Notre Dame, and Michigan get in.

If the Big Ten got shut out we could changes made ASAP. As this would be 3 years in a row the Big Ten champ missing the CFB even though Ohio State got in over Penn State 2 years ago.
I want chaos.

I really want Georgia to beat Alabama, Michigan to win the Big Ten and Notre Dame to beat USC.

Clemson would be in.

If the Big Ten got shut out we could changes made ASAP. As this would be 3 years in a row the Big Ten champ missing the CFB even though Ohio State got in over Penn State 2 years ago.
I want chaos.

But you agree that the CFP is an upgrade from the BCS, right?

But you agree that the CFP is an upgrade from the BCS, right?
The only upgrade is 4 teams vs. 2 teams.
I don’t like the job the committee has done.
In 2014 TCU belonged in the playoffs and that committee spun the criteria to get Ohio State in.
Then in 2016 based on the same criteria of conference titles they used the eye test and put Ohio State in over Penn State who beat them and won their conference.
Then in 2017 Alabama gets in without winning its division basically because Auburn played Clemson in the regular season and lost that extra loss put the team that beat Alabama Auburn out and Alabama in.
When Alabama doesn’t play OOC roads games.
The CFB playoff committee has done a terrible job IMO.
The computers atleast don’t change their rules to spin what they want the creators have their formulas and the numbers spot out the results.

BCS with 4 team playoff would be fine by me.

Reactions: gbo

Clemson would be in.

I want chaos.

Under that scenario it would be interesting to see which one of those three (UGA, Bama, Mich) get in. ND undefeated is a mortal lock to get in, with or without a 13th game. UGA would be next with that Bama win and then it's down to Michigan and Bama. Your guess is as good as mine.

The only upgrade is 4 teams vs. 2 teams.
I don’t like the job the committee has done.
In 2014 TCU belonged in the playoffs and that committee spun the criteria to get Ohio State in.
Then in 2016 based on the same criteria of conference titles they used the eye test and put Ohio State in over Penn State who beat them and won their conference.
Then in 2017 Alabama gets in without winning its division basically because Auburn played Clemson in the regular season and lost that extra loss put the team that beat Alabama Auburn out and Alabama in.
When Alabama doesn’t play OOC roads games.
The CFB playoff committee has done a terrible job IMO.
The computers atleast don’t change their rules to spin what they want the creators have their formulas and the numbers spot out the results.

BCS with 4 team playoff would be fine by me.

I actually think the Committee has done a great job. Their charge is to put the four best teams into the playoff and they've nailed it every time. People complained about Bama last year when they were the best team in the country. They would have run OSU right off the field. As a 4 seed they were favored over the one seed and then went out and crushed them. That says it all. Same thing happened when OSU got in. I don't care if you won your conference title when you are in an inferior conference, just put the four best teams in there. It was clear as could be last year that the SEC was the dominant conference and that Bama and UGA were the two best teams. Every year of the CFP the top four teams have matched the Vegas power rankings (in terms of top four not necessarily the order) and I'd much rather that be the case. Full body of work counts.

I actually think the Committee has done a great job. Their charge is to put the four best teams into the playoff and they've nailed it every time. People complained about Bama last year when they were the best team in the country. They would have run OSU right off the field. As a 4 seed they were favored over the one seed and then went out and crushed them. That says it all. Same thing happened when OSU got in. I don't care if you won your conference title when you are in an inferior conference, just put the four best teams in there. It was clear as could be last year that the SEC was the dominant conference and that Bama and UGA were the two best teams. Every year of the CFP the top four teams have matched the Vegas power rankings (in terms of top four not necessarily the order) and I'd much rather that be the case. Full body of work counts.

Agreed. I don’t think the playoff committee has made a single mistake yet.

TCU in 2014 was one of the 4 best teams.
The committee failed on that.
Ohio State in 2016 lost to Penn State and Penn State was dinged because they played at Pitt and had 2 losses. If Penn State plays a tomato can instead of at Pitt they go to the CFB.
Clemson embarrassed that Ohio State team 30-0.
It was a bad job by the committee.
Also last year if Auburn doesn’t play Clemson in a home/home they go 11-1 and how does the committee put the team that just beat Bama on the field in the tournament.
I liked the committee rejected Ohio State that team lost to Iowa by 31.

The committee has done a poor job. They aren’t consistent. They said conference titles matter one year and the next it’s eye test.
BCS computers weren’t worse.

Agreed. I don’t think the playoff committee has made a single mistake yet.
Ohio State in 2014 didn’t belong in over TCU. That TCU team was 3 number 3 till the last week ahead of Florida State they won 63-6 and fell down to 5 because the committee said head to head matter with Baylor.
Then Ohio State got in over Penn State with the same criteria and they switched from head to head to eye test.
They are a joke. Eye test in 2014 no good. Eye test in 2016/2017 good.

That’s just crazy talk, man. The CFP is so much better than the BCS. If the BCS existed this year, you would have people in a room debating whether undefeated Clemson or undefeated ND gets to play Bama. How is that good for college football?
I agree that would be a mess, but you have to admit that these rankings are foolish. How are Florida and Kentucky still in the top 15? They are blown out everytime they play a remotely decent team. This is just madness.

The committee has done an ok job with the top 6 teams. My complaint is with the rest of the rankings.

I agree that would be a mess, but you have to admit that these rankings are foolish. How are Florida and Kentucky still in the top 15? They are blown out everytime they play a remotely decent team. This is just madness.

I don't even know why this committee ranks 25 teams. It's a useless exercise to go that far out, and they're not very good at it after team 8-10. I wonder how much they even care at that point.

Exactly, you are what your record says you are.

We are #20. #11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17 all have the same record as us. #18 and 19 have a worse record than us. So this comment makes little to no sense.

We laid one egg all year. Against a team that's going to the playoffs.

You guys are smarter than this. All this voting is political and meant to help the conference your affiliated with and diminish the other ones. Syracuse dropped that far because none of the conferences want Notre Dame to get much credit for that win. My hope is that Notre Dame goes undefeated and gets excluded from the playoffs. I mean, they say getting into the playoffs isn't as important to them as their independence, so they can have their independence and no final 4.

The committee has done an ok job with the top 6 teams. My complaint is with the rest of the rankings.

Trying to look at it from a neutral perspective and not from the "everyone is mean to Syracuse" perspective, records vs. the Sagarin Top 30 are: Kentucky 3-2, Florida 2-2, Syracuse 1-2.

And as was said above, a lot of it is timing. If we beat BC this weekend, we'll probably move back up to like 16th or so, with an opportunity to finish solidly in the Top 15 with a bowl win, something McNabb never accomplished here.

My hope is that Notre Dame goes undefeated and gets excluded from the playoffs.

Your hope is that something happens which is completely and utterly impossible?

Oklahoma has to beat WVU twice in a row to get to 12-1, should Notre Dame get in over them? I hope the conference make a deal and put a conference champion in instead.

Trying to look at it from a neutral perspective and not from the "everyone is mean to Syracuse" perspective, records vs. the Sagarin Top 30 are: Kentucky 3-2, Florida 2-2, Syracuse 1-2.

And as was said above, a lot of it is timing. If we beat BC this weekend, we'll probably move back up to like 16th or so, with an opportunity to finish solidly in the Top 15 with a bowl win, something McNabb never accomplished here.
Kentucky played Central Michigan, Murray State, Middle Tennessee and has Louisville this week for their nonconference slate.
Their best wins over Florida and Mississippi State.
They lost by 17 at Tennessee which is worse than Wake Forest.

Kentucky has no business being 5 spots ahead of Syracuse.
Syracuse lost to #2, #3, and #24.
Kentucky lost to #5 and a pair of unranked teams.
Kentucky didn’t compete with Georgia at home it was a dominant 17 Point win for Georgia.
People want to say UNC was a fluke win for is well Kentucky had a bigger fluke win at Missouri. Go watch the terrible PI call on the last play of them that gave Kentucky a second chance.

The bias here is a joke.
Washington and Utah fine but Kentucky shouldn’t be 5 slot higher.

Committee dinged us 8 spots for losing to an undefeated team.

How can you say this?
You have no idea what this committee values more head to head or conference titles.
They do whatever they want.
If Clemson wins the ACC, Michigan wins the Big Ten, Georgia beats Alabama and Notre Dame is 12-0. You can’t say it’s impissible the committee puts the ACC, SEC, Big Ten champs in and says Alabama is better than Notre Dame.
It could happen. It’s not impossible.

Kentucky played Central Michigan, Murray State, Middle Tennessee and has Louisville this week for their nonconference slate.
Their best wins over Florida and Mississippi State.
They lost by 17 at Tennessee which is worse than Wake Forest.

Kentucky has no business being 5 spots ahead of Syracuse.
Syracuse lost to #2, #3, and #24.
Kentucky lost to #5 and a pair of unranked teams.
Kentucky didn’t compete with Georgia at home it was a dominant 17 Point win for Georgia.
People want to say UNC was a fluke win for is well Kentucky had a bigger fluke win at Missouri. Go watch the terrible PI call on the last play of them that gave Kentucky a second chance.

The bias here is a joke.
Washington and Utah fine but Kentucky shouldn’t be 5 slot higher.

Committee dinged us 8 spots for losing to an undefeated team.

Kentucky's SOS is 19 and ours is 67. You're making too big of a deal of this. If we beat BC we'll be back close to the Top 15.

I could easily see Notre Dame kept our at 12-0 if the committee says Michigan is 12-1 and won a conference title.
Clemson is undefeated.
Georgia beat Alabama and we the committee feel Alabama is better than Notre Dame.

IF Wazzou beat Washington and Utah in the Pac12 championship to get to 12-1, how do you say they shouldn't be in the playoffs over a team that's unaffiliated.

How can you say this?
You have no idea what this committee values more head to head or conference titles.
They do whatever they want.
If Clemson wins the ACC, Michigan wins the Big Ten, Georgia beats Alabama and Notre Dame is 12-0. You can’t say it’s impissible the committee puts the ACC, SEC, Big Ten champs in and says Alabama is better than Notre Dame.
It could happen. It’s not impossible.

I guess nothing is "impossible." But I think it would be extraordinarily unlikely. And in fairness, how can you give me a hard time for trying to get into the committee's head when you definitively said that they would take an undefeated Clemson over an undefeated Notre Dame?

Kentucky's SOS is 19 and ours is 67. You're making too big of a deal of this. If we beat BC we'll be back close to the Top 15.
Not sure where you get your SOS but I got mine for ESPN FPI.
ESPN Football Power Index - 2018 - ESPN

They have Syracuse SOS 27th and Kentucky SOS 97th.
Syracuse has played Clemson and Notre Dame.
Kentucky has played Georgia.

Syracuse schedule SOS isn’t 50 spots lower than Kentucky that SEC bias in a Ken Pomeroy like model.
ESPN FPI looks at 2018 without anything else.

I guess nothing is "impossible." But I think it would be extraordinarily unlikely. And in fairness, how can you give me a hard time for trying to get into the committee's head when you definitively said that they would take an undefeated Clemson over an undefeated Notre Dame?
They would Clemson is above Notre Dame now. A win over a 5 win USC isn’t putting Nd above Clemson as Clemson has a 6 win South Carolina and top 25 Pitt team as its 13th game.

If ND had a 13th game against a top 10 team maybe they could jump them but not now.

Plus the committee chair said to ESPN in the room their is a gap between Alabama and Clemson and gap between Clemson and Notre Dame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom