20th in latest CFP (Nov 20) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

20th in latest CFP (Nov 20)

"You have no idea what this committee values." A wise man once told me 13 minutes ago.
Right because a team is going to get dinged for playing an extra game.
Just like the committee you said has done an excellent job when they dropped TCU in 2014 for not playing.
So basically you want to argue my point by saying what I said but ignore the fact for them to drop Clemson in your hypothetical they would be doing a chitty job and not a good job because Clemson would go down for playing an extra game when TCU went down for playing 1 fewer game.

If you wanna play this game fine. All it would be confirming is the committee sucks and can do whatever they want.

Right because a team is going to get dinged for playing an extra game.
Just like the committee you said has done an excellent job when they dropped TCU in 2014 for not playing.
So basically you want to argue my point by saying what I said but ignore the fact for them to drop Clemson in your hypothetical they would be doing a chitty job and not a good job because Clemson would go down for playing an extra game when TCU went down for playing 1 fewer game.

If you wanna play this game fine. All it would be confirming is the committee sucks and can do whatever they want.

I don't care about what happened in 2014. At the end of the day, there is no way to know whether Clemson or ND would be chosen to play Bama (what if ND blows out USC and Clemson beats Pitt ugly in OT?), which is why the CFP is better than the BCS. 4 teams in is always better than 2 teams in.

I could easily see Notre Dame kept our at 12-0 if the committee says Michigan is 12-1 and won a conference title.
Clemson is undefeated.
Georgia beat Alabama and we the committee feel Alabama is better than Notre Dame.

Michigan’s wins over Ohio State and Northwestern would have to be games that aren’t in much doubt. And ND’s win over USC would have to be close.

Otherwise I think NDs head to head win over Michigan would trump Michigan’s Big 10 title.

I don't care about what happened in 2014. At the end of the day, there is no way to know whether Clemson or ND would be chosen to play Bama (what if ND blows out USC and Clemson beats Pitt ugly in OT?), which is why the CFP is better than the BCS. 4 teams in is always better than 2 teams in.
If the committee has Clemson #2 on December 2nd we in fact will know.
Based on what the committee chairman has already said the committee thinks Alabama and Clemson are above everyone else.

Michigan’s wins over Ohio State and Northwestern would have to be games that aren’t in much doubt. And ND’s win over USC would have to be close.

Otherwise I think NDs head to head win over Michigan would trump Michigan’s Big 10 title.
You are probably right but anything that screws ND IMO isn’t a bad thing.

You are probably right but anything that screws ND IMO isn’t a bad thing.

Don’t get me wrong, if undefeated ND is left out, I’d probably need a kidney transplant from the laughing.

But I just don’t see it in a million years.

I’m not sure who if I would rather see Notre Dame or the Big left out. Either way it would be awesome.

we hung with clemson but lost . that's a boost. we get blown out by irish. that's a bust.

TCU in 2014 was one of the 4 best teams.
The committee failed on that.
Ohio State in 2016 lost to Penn State and Penn State was dinged because they played at Pitt and had 2 losses. If Penn State plays a tomato can instead of at Pitt they go to the CFB.
Clemson embarrassed that Ohio State team 30-0.
It was a bad job by the committee.
Also last year if Auburn doesn’t play Clemson in a home/home they go 11-1 and how does the committee put the team that just beat Bama on the field in the tournament.
I liked the committee rejected Ohio State that team lost to Iowa by 31.

The committee has done a poor job. They aren’t consistent. They said conference titles matter one year and the next it’s eye test.
BCS computers weren’t worse.

In 2014 Ohio State beat out TCU for the fourth spot. They beat Bama and crushed Oregon in the final. How can you say TCU was better than them? That's crazy. Committee got it right.

Penn State lost two games in 2016 in the regular season then gave up a fitty spot in the Rose Bowl. No way they deserved inclusion. They lost by 39 to Michigan and losing to a Pitt team that lost five games that year is impressing nobody.

Kudos to Auburn for playing a tough game like Clemson but they lost. Remember the Auburn win vs Bama was at Auburn. Bama would have been favored against every single team in the country last year. How do u leave them out?

You guys are smarter than this. All this voting is political and meant to help the conference your affiliated with and diminish the other ones. Syracuse dropped that far because none of the conferences want Notre Dame to get much credit for that win. My hope is that Notre Dame goes undefeated and gets excluded from the playoffs. I mean, they say getting into the playoffs isn't as important to them as their independence, so they can have their independence and no final 4.

You can hope but that is a hopeless wish.

I could easily see Notre Dame kept our at 12-0 if the committee says Michigan is 12-1 and won a conference title.
Clemson is undefeated.
Georgia beat Alabama and we the committee feel Alabama is better than Notre Dame.

That's the definition of clinical insanity.

Michigan is going to get in because of a 13th data point? They're going to beat out ND? The same ND that beat Michigan this season in a game that wasn't even as close as the score indicates. And then Michigan's 13th data point is against a team that ND already beat on their home field. And then they're going to exclude ND the biggest draw on TV of any program in the country? Good luck wid dat.

Oklahoma has to beat WVU twice in a row to get to 12-1, should Notre Dame get in over them? I hope the conference make a deal and put a conference champion in instead.

Oklahoma? The same team that gave up 10,000 yards to Kansas? lol

IF Wazzou beat Washington and Utah in the Pac12 championship to get to 12-1, how do you say they shouldn't be in the playoffs over a team that's unaffiliated.

Cuz they're in the Pac-12. Not exactly a powerhouse conference.

Not to mention that the 4 seed has won the championship a couple of times already.

That's the definition of clinical insanity.

Michigan is going to get in because of a 13th data point? They're going to beat out ND? The same ND that beat Michigan this season in a game that wasn't even as close as the score indicates. And then Michigan's 13th data point is against a team that ND already beat on their home field. And then they're going to exclude ND the biggest draw on TV of any program in the country? Good luck wid dat.
Michigan would get in because all of the representatives of the B1G and the Pac12( Who are in an alliance) that are on the committee will vote to put them in. Who will support Notre Dame.

Michigan would get in because all of the representatives of the B1G and the Pac12( Who are in an alliance) that are on the committee will vote to put them in. Who will support Notre Dame.

I believe the Ojays had a hit song in the 1970s with which you might be familiar- hint: $$$$

I believe the Ojays had a hit song in the 1970s with which you might be familiar- hint: $$$$
Michigan is just as big a brand as Notre Dame. They would be $$$$ as well.
Notre Dame’s schedule is down this year. It’s not their fault but don’t bank on head to head bailing the Irish out if the committee believes Michigan and Alabama were better they could be left out.
Georgia and Clemson will be in if they win their conference titles.
It would come down to Michigan, Notre Dame and Alabama and be undefeated means nothing its who the committee believes are the 4 best teams.

Notre Dame isn’t going to have a conference representative in that room when they are discussing who should be in.
I want the chaos scenario. I want to see Michigan and the Big Ten told sorry or Notre Dame being told 12-0 means squat.

Notre Dame’s schedule is down this year. It’s not their fault but don’t bank on head to head bailing the Irish out if the committee believes Michigan and Alabama were better they could be left out.
It would come down to Michigan, Notre Dame and Alabama and be undefeated means nothing its who the committee believes are the 4 best teams.

Head to head is part of the criteria. Trying to explain that maneuver will be must watch TV.

I hope the scenario you laid out takes place. For years people on this board have talked about how ND will get hosed because of the 13th data point. They've ignored the fact that they're the biggest draw on TV, bar none. Ratings = dollars. The NCAA understands this concept all too well. But to be clear it isn't just about money. They will be deserving of an invite if they take care of business on Saturday.

Notre Dame isn’t going to have a conference representative in that room when they are discussing who should be in.
I want the chaos scenario. I want to see Michigan and the Big Ten told sorry or Notre Dame being told 12-0 means squat.

There are 13 members on the committee and they're from all over the place. This cabal you speak of doesn't exist.

Head to head is part of the criteria. Trying to explain that maneuver will be must watch TV.

I hope the scenario you laid out takes place. For years people on this board have talked about how ND will get hosed because of the 13th data point. They've ignored the fact that they're the biggest draw on TV, bar none. Ratings = dollars. The NCAA understands this concept all too well. But to be clear it isn't just about money. They will be deserving of an invite if they take care of business on Saturday.
LSU beat Georgia.
Georgia is 5th, LSU is 7th.
Also Notre Dame is not the top brand in college football.
They are one of many top brands but they aren’t getting the highest rating.
Alabama-LSU had the highest rating of any game this year.
Alabama-Georgia will likely top it.

Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Florida, Florida State Clemson are all on par with Notre Dame.
The Notre Dame-Alabama championship game got a lower TV rating than Auburn-Oregon and all the championship games since then.
It’s not 1980s anymore everyone is on national TV.

There are 13 members on the committee and they're from all over the place. This cabal you speak of doesn't exist.
If Michigan didn’t play Notre Dame and both were undefeated Notre Dame would be in trouble even at 12-0.
They are lucky though the schedule worked out for them and they beat Michigan week 1.
The 13th game matters. Conference titles are part of the CFB criteria.

LSU beat Georgia.
Georgia is 5th, LSU is 7th.
Also Notre Dame is not the top brand in college football.
They are one of many top brands but they aren’t getting the highest rating.
Alabama-LSU had the highest rating of any game this year.
Alabama-Georgia will likely top it.

Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Florida, Florida State Clemson are all on par with Notre Dame.
The Notre Dame-Alabama championship game got a lower TV rating than Auburn-Oregon and all the championship games since then.
It’s not 1980s anymore everyone is on national TV.

Well duh the ND/Bama game was a blowout in the 1Q while Auburn/Oregon went to the wire. C'mon now.

If Michigan didn’t play Notre Dame and both were undefeated Notre Dame would be in trouble even at 12-0.
They are lucky though the schedule worked out for them and they beat Michigan week 1.

You come up with a lot of "ifs" in your scenarios. They did play and ND beat them. Rather easily. Without Book or Williams in the backfield.

Yes conference titles are one of the criteria. Do u want WVA in if they beat OU twice? How about Utah if they beat WSU?

Every top team is "lucky" its schedule "worked out for them". ND did beat Michigan, though. That game does count.

ND also has beaten a total of four current Top 25 teams this season, more than anyone else.

ND beat the Wolverines with its now backup QB and RB.

Head to head counts, as much as Michigan fans and ND haters want it not to.

You are trying real hard here to conjure up scenarios for ND not to be in the playoffs.

If the Irish beat Southern Cal (and it is a dangerous game, the Trojans have lots of good players and it is a rivalry game), they are in the playoffs despite far out "what ifs" and other mental contortions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom