$21 million? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

$21 million?

That's way too much money and would wipe out any acc financial gain for two years. It's not worth it at all for that type of money. I rather stay in the big least and recruit better in football and come in as a stronger team. Next year we should be able to go to the big east bcs bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I completely agree. That money would be better spent, by upgrading the facilities.

I don't think playing one more season in a West Virginia-less Big East is the end of the world. I actually like the thought of ending our long rivalry on a 49-23 ass-whomping note.

It's also an easier path to the BCS bowl game.

I love it. Especially with who we're returning.

Big 12 official press release on their site claims WVU will be competing in the Big 12 for the 2012-13 season. Interesting.

If WVA pays and SU and Pitt haven't agreed to the price, then SU and Pitt could exit on grounds of breach of contract and good faith. The conference, even w/o WVA will not be intact. Heck, the departure of TCU w/o increased fees or leave time (despite having never played a game) also provides a strong argument for early exit w/o extra fees.

Boise State's exit fee from the Mountain West is $21 million.

A+B=

We lose $10M in conf payouts every year we're not in the ACC.

So pay $20M now, or wait 2 years and lose $20M over that time frame.

I would think we'll pay it and be there next year. Especially since $20M is probably an opening # that could get negotiated down to Maybe $15M or so, with agreements for future scheduling opps.

Exactly right. We aren't going to be hanging around this burning building either. We all should send a fruit basket to WVU. Pay the cash and be done with this. The cash starts piling up for us next year in the ACC anyhow.

Exactly right. We aren't going to be hanging around this burning building either. We all should send a fruit basket to WVU. Pay the cash and be done with this. The cash starts piling up for us next year in the ACC anyhow.

We're participating in the ACC scheduling conference for next year in January so we have time for the time being - I'd call their bluff and let our teams do the talking. Make them want nothing to do with having an ACC team embarassing Big East teams any more.

Stupid question but if we are in till 2014, don't we get to collect a portion of this 21m exit fee from WVU as well since we are still a member.

Would $21 million cause a bigger ripple within the realms of a private university (syracuse), than at larger public schools (pitt, wvu)? Who would get more flack from their supporters?

Would $21 million cause a bigger ripple within the realms of a private university (syracuse), than at larger public schools (pitt, wvu)? Who would get more flack from their supporters?

I think a state school would get more flack since they have to answer to taxpayers. I don't want SU to cut a $21 million check because I don't think it's going to take that much. I think the Big East will want us gone - too much downside for them if Pitt and SU win Big East titles.

I still say we are playing ACC football next year, somehow someway..

Let's just agree to pay the $21M over 4 years.

Let's compare

2012-13-
If we're in the ACC- $15M from ACC, give $5 to BE, we net $10M
If we're in the BE- $5M from BE, we net $5M

2013-14-
If we're in the ACC- $15M from ACC, give $5 to BE, we net $10M
If we're in the BE- $5M from BE, we net $5M

2014-15-
We're in the ACC- $15 from ACC, $5M to BE, we net $10M
If we'd stayed in the BE- $15M from ACC, $5 1 time exit fee, we net $10M

2015-16-
We're in the ACC- $15M from ACC, give $5 to BE, we net $10M
If we'd stayed in the BE- $15M from ACC, we net $15M

So, if we leave now we end up with:
10+10+10+10= $40M

If we stay
5+5+10+15= $35M

$40M > $35M. So, why is this a discussion?

...going to be interesting...my bet is $10 million is most we will need to pay...We now have TCU for $5 million and WVU, Pitt, and 'Cuse with $5million ea and 27 months...I think the BE will not want three of the better bball and football schools hanging around to be the champs of the conference and then leave; also, there may not be a need for this if Louisville and/or Uconn/Rutgirls decide to leave...there will not be teams wanting to enter the league...it will go away from a football perspective

I still say we are playing ACC football next year, somehow someway..

I'm with ya -- I thought it was 100% when first announced but I slowly but surely thought maybe we would have to wait a year. But I think this gets done for 2012 once the Big East finally makes their move (which should be by next week).

pay it,let the acc chip in.

The ACC already has the championship (so nothing gained there)...it sounds like Pitt/Cuse might yield an extra $15-30 M a year in TV money...Lets call it $24M...cut that in half (for Pitt/Cuse)...call it $12M per team...times that by 2 years (to get there in 12 vs 14)...$24M per school...I could see the ACC throwing in $5-10M per team to help get us in early.

$21M is the first offer...I bet we settle for $10M...maybe the ACC chips in $5M per team in that case.
Anybody know what our entry fee is?

I'm with ya -- I thought it was 100% when first announced but I slowly but surely thought maybe we would have to wait a year. But I think this gets done for 2012 once the Big East finally makes their move (which should be by next week).

It depends on whether or not the BE can get 3 schools to replace us for 2012. Last word was Air Force and Boise didn't want to pay an early exit fee to go to the BE. Navy could join but then they would have to back out of most of their already scheduled games. Same with BYU. I think we may be stuck until 2013.

The official B12 announcement says July 2012. The official BE announcement says it will be 27 months (just like SU/Pitt). What isn't said, is a buy out of the 27 months which like this thread says, is rumored to be $21M. I am sure they made the same offer to SU and Pitt.

And I still go back to, if you hold us hostage we're not playing any of you in anything ever again unless it is to our advantage or liking (G'town in hoops, etc.).

I would love to see Cuse respond to this latest attempt to extort more money from us the way Michael Corleone responded to Senator Geary's attempt to "squeeze him" for more money on the liquor license. "Our offer is this, we will pay you nothing. And we would appreciate your conference members putting up the fee for us". And we all know how Senator Geary fared - getting caught with his pants down! At least I can dream :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX5RnIBF0AM&feature=related

And I still go back to, if you hold us hostage we're not playing any of you in anything ever again unless it is to our advantage or liking (G'town in hoops, etc.).

How is anyone being held hostage?!??! Syracuse approved the exit clause!

How is anyone being held hostage?!??! Syracuse approved the exit clause!

That's a very black and white way to look at it. But, you're right. And yet, that clause is designed to prevent people from leaving. We're leaving anyway. They can be "sticklers" and make us wait and/or pay through the nose.

My point is they don't have to, just like we don't have to schedule any of them for anything again. Ever.

They have a deteriorating position of strength. Everything they have to leverage is tied to a piece of paper that says "27 months, 5 million dollars." After
that, they're in a compromised position. If none of the ACC schools agree to play any of the remaining Big East teams in anything, then
where are they?

I wouldn't be surprised if SU and Pitt were made the same offer but sat back and said no in hopes the B12 would take 2-3 BE teams and kill the BE thus negating any penalties probably. Now that that doesn't appear to be happening SU and Pitt may reconsider about paying the extra money.

They have a deteriorating position of strength. Everything they have to leverage is tied to a piece of paper that says "27 months, 5 million dollars." After
that, they're in a compromised position. If none of the ACC schools agree to play any of the remaining Big East teams in anything, then
where are they?

Within the 27 month window it isn't deteriorated. They've got a BCS bid locked up until 2014. After that? Doesn't matter, SU/Pitt/WVU won't be involved at that point anyway.

As for a freeze-out blackmail option, it depends who you are. UConn and Louisville would probably be fine.
USF & Rutgers can leverage being in fertile recruiting locales and get scheduled games.
Cincy? Uh, call the B1G, I guess.

Plus, don't underestimate SU's trying to keep down travel costs in Olympic sports. UConn and BC still play in nearly everything- except the big-money sports, where each is fine on their own as it is.

pay it,let the acc chip in.

The Big 12 is only paying for one team. The ACC would have to pony up for two. And $21mil is a lot for a private university to fork over. I think Swofford is waiting to see if the BE implodes before he considers going the $$$ route. If Louiville leaves by year end, I think BE football will be dead and SU will be released from it's indentured servitude.