$21 million? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

$21 million?

Within the 27 month window it isn't deteriorated. They've got a BCS bid locked up until 2014. After that? Doesn't matter, SU/Pitt/WVU won't be involved at that point anyway.

As for a freeze-out blackmail option, it depends who you are. UConn and Louisville would probably be fine.
USF & Rutgers can leverage being in fertile recruiting locales and get scheduled games.
Cincy? Uh, call the B1G, I guess.

Plus, don't underestimate SU's trying to keep down travel costs in Olympic sports. UConn and BC still play in nearly everything- except the big-money sports, where each is fine on their own as it is.

If we're playing some non-conference games at the Meadowlands, who cares about playing is Piscataway. And if we're playing games in Boston, who cares about Hartford.

And the basketball teams need us a lot more than we need them.

I really don't expect Pitt,Syr,West Vir to be here past this year. The Big east doesn't want to irritate the ACC SEC and BIG12 with the new BCS contract coming up, if they want to have a bid for the next contract. I would expect their will be backdoor discussions about this in the next few weeks.

can a conference enforce its rules, if it is not a conference by NCAA standards?

None of the teams leaving will play in the BE next season IMO. Its just a game of chicken right now. The BE really doesn't want them back but is trying to make its move first and get whatever it can out of these schools for leaving.

I wouldn't be surprised if SU and Pitt were made the same offer but sat back and said no in hopes the B12 would take 2-3 BE teams and kill the BE thus negating any penalties probably. Now that that doesn't appear to be happening SU and Pitt may reconsider about paying the extra money.

Absolutely agree. I think both Pitt and us tried to remain patient in hopes that the Big East would completely crumble. There was no reason to rush into things. I have no doubt we will reconsider now that it looks like the Big East will survive in some form.

Absolutely agree. I think both Pitt and us tried to remain patient in hopes that the Big East would completely crumble. There was no reason to rush into things. I have no doubt we will reconsider now that it looks like the Big East will survive in some form.

Aka "oops, you mean they're alive, and might actually keep their BCS bid?"

(Not that I blame SU for jumping from a money standpoint one bit)

Aka "oops, you mean they're alive, and might actually keep their BCS bid?"

(Not that I blame SU for jumping from a money standpoint one bit)
The Big East is alive? The fact that no team has been added shows that the conference leaders are scrambling to get Air Force, Boise State, and Navy on board. If the Big East was alive the conference exit fee would have been raised already, but it was contingent on adding another school. Now, because of this alive conference's lack of action WVU was able to leave only paying 5 million as well. The Big East isn't alive until Boise State agrees to become a member. The Big East leadership has let the football schools down, and the BCS bid will not last past 2014. So if that makes the remaining schools happy fine enjoy the BCS for 3 more seasons. Note I don't wish ill will towards UConn I hope they end up okay and Rutgers withers away.

Its just a negotiation. They will agree on an amount in between 5-21. The conference nor the teams want a lame duck team staying in. Same thing happened when Nebraska left for the Big10 and CU, left for Pac12.

We won't pay 21 million. I have a feeling we will get out but it won't be be cause we paid 21 million

The Big East is alive? The fact that no team has been added shows that the conference leaders are scrambling to get Air Force, Boise State, and Navy on board. If the Big East was alive the conference exit fee would have been raised already, but it was contingent on adding another school. Now, because of this alive conference's lack of action WVU was able to leave only paying 5 million as well. The Big East isn't alive until Boise State agrees to become a member. The Big East leadership has let the football schools down, and the BCS bid will not last past 2014. So if that makes the remaining schools happy fine enjoy the BCS for 3 more seasons. Note I don't wish ill will towards UConn I hope they end up okay and Rutgers withers away.

I was speaking literally. It's currently alive. The "leadership" of the conference's overall incompetence doesn't change that technicality, despite their best efforts.

The best hope for them, at this point, is for the BCS to throw them a bone in 2014 and keep the bid through a waiver, to avoid any Congressional investigation.

Just go to the ACC next year, let the Big East take everyone to court. Tie it up in court for a few years then settle. It's the American Way!

Apparently that was what the Big East wants from Pitt and Syracuse each to forego the 27 month waiting period

http://westvirginia.At their request, this network is being blocked from this site./2/1122323.html
Absurd & Obscene.......Not Gonna Happen at That Price...

Speaking here as a fan.... and not with any inside knowledge (my usual disclaimer).

Given SU's difficulty in raising money for a football practice facility, I seriously doubt it would pay an exit fee equal to the cost of TWO practice facilities.

SU fans/alums have not rushed forward to pay for the proposed facility -- a tangible thing with all kinds of naming opportunities. Given that, I really do not see them rushing forward to pay a questionable exit fee. And I seriously doubt the university, with its financial constraints, would choose to pay for it.

Speaking here as a fan.... and not with any inside knowledge (my usual disclaimer).

Given SU's difficulty in raising money for a football practice facility, I seriously doubt it would pay an exit fee equal to the cost of TWO practice facilities.

SU fans/alums have not rushed forward to pay for the proposed facility -- a tangible thing with all kinds of naming opportunities. Given that, I really do not see them rushing forward to pay a questionable exit fee. And I seriously doubt the university, with its financial constraints, would choose to pay for it.
If SU didn't have to pay the entire 21 million at once couldn't they pay it back by receiving 15 million dollars a year in the ACC rather than 5 million in the Big East. During the 2012-2013 season and 2013-2014 season SU could generate 30 million dollars at least. I agree though with your premise and unless the Big East is starting negotiations at 21 million and we can get it knocked down we are stuck for 2 more seasons. WVU with University of Texas money and the fact the Big 12 contract requires 10 teams or the partners can opt out requires immediate withdrawal.

Apparently that was what the Big East wants from Pitt and Syracuse each to forego the 27 month waiting period

http://westvirginia.At their request, this network is being blocked from this site./2/1122323.html

There is no way I'd pay a dime. For that kind of money we could break ground next week on a state of the art indoor practice facility as well as training/healing facilities.