Not open for further replies.

SWC75

Bored Historian
C- Peter Carey 6-11 190 Overall #251 PF #53
PF- Maliq Brown 6-9 210 Overall #226 PF #45
SF- Chris Bunch 6-7 185 Overall #72 SF #19
SG- Justin Taylor 6-6 200 Overall #74 SF #20
PG- Quadir Copeland 6-6 175 Overall #149 CB, (Combo Guard) #24

Bunch and Taylor are recognized good recruits right now. The others are "under the radar", which doesn't mean they won't be good players for us. We've got another "combo guard point man but Kadary was originally thought of as a small forward. Plenty of height, especially in the backcourt but again a bunch of skinny types.

247 had us as having the #14 class nationally:
2022 Basketball Team Rankings
But that was without Bunch. Brent Axe said he pulled something up that said 247 now had us in the top ten.

Last edited:
C- Peter Carey 6-11 190 Overall #251 PF #53
PF- Maliq Brown 6-9 210 Overall #226 PF #45
SF- Chris Bunch 6-7 185 Overall #72 SF #19
SG- Justin Taylor 6-6 200 Overall #74 SF #20
PG- Quadir Copeland 6-6 175 Overall #149 CB, (Combo Guard) #24

Bunch and Taylor are recognized good recruits right now. The others ae "under the radar", which doesn't mean they won't be good players for us. We've got another "combo guard point man but Kadary was originally thought of as a small forward. Plenty of height, especially in the backcourt but again a bunch of skinny types.

247 had us as having the #14 class nationally:
2022 Basketball Team Rankings
But that was without Bunch. Brent Axe said he pulled something up that said 247 now had us in the top ten.

14th is without bunch.

How many top players remain uncommitted? It seems that the classes are largely set.

Someone in another thread suggested (too pessimistically) that this group would be "top 25" when it's all settled. With us having three top100 players and a couple lower ranked guys, are there really enough players left to push us all the way down to even the lower teens?

How many top players remain uncommitted? It seems that the classes are largely set.

Someone in another thread suggested (too pessimistically) that this group would be "top 25" when it's all settled. With us having three top100 players and a couple lower ranked guys, are there really enough players left to push us all the way down to even the lower teens?

Yeah and I was saying it will be Top 15.

Yeah and I was saying it will be Top 15.

It wasn't you I was referring to specifically, although you may also be too pessimistic :)

One thing JB almost always does is recruit the best players he likes for his system. Hopkins at Washington for instance has recruited terrific players who sometimes couldn't win when put together as a group.

Last edited:

Someone also intimidated that there maybe one more.

Yeah, I believe that SU is now No. 10 as far as 2022 class rankings. Of course, that could change up or down. Not sure if 247Sports, Rivals or others are the most "reputable," and rankings have to get taken with a grain of salt, anyway. But for what it's worth, Copeland is top 90 at Rivals and four stars, and Taylor is top 65 via Rivals. When all is said and done, I could see Bunch top 50, Taylor top 60ish, Copeland top 75, Carey top 100 and Brown top 100/150. But I'm no recruiting analyst nor a scout :)

There’s only like 15 players left who remain uncommitted in the top 100. I would assume at this point a few of those may go pro or wait to see what happens with guys in the spring. 3 of the biggest names ironically are Lands, Westry and Cruz. Jarace Walker is still out there as well.

There’s only like 15 players left who remain uncommitted in the top 100. I would assume at this point a few of those may go pro or wait to see what happens with guys in the spring. 3 of the biggest names ironically are Lands, Westry and Cruz. Jarace Walker is still out there as well.

So, with just those four guys, a lot of room for movement. Do we jump to Jarace Walker as our capstone in this class? /s

Last edited:
I added the /s since my post's tone seems to be unclear. Sorry

I give the staff major props for this class. The pivoted so well off of the Dior/Lands decommits. To lose both those guys, not end up with Westry/Cruz/Clingan and STILL manage a top 10 class with 5 kids who will all most likely be here for multiple years (compared to Dior, Cruz, Lands, etc who are probably 1 and done) is very impressive.

Not to be hyperbolic here, but this class has the chance to be the most important class in decades. It is my assumption that JB is gone after this season and GMac takes over. These 5 kids get the first shot at carrying on the SU tradition post-JB. This is big time in seeing where we will be as a program in 5 years. If this class ends up being a hit and GMac continues to recruit, we might not miss a beat.

I give the staff major props for this class. The pivoted so well off of the Dior/Lands decommits. To lose both those guys, not end up with Westry/Cruz/Clingan and STILL manage a top 10 class with 5 kids who will all most likely be here for multiple years (compared to Dior, Cruz, Lands, etc who are probably 1 and done) is very impressive.

Not to be hyperbolic here, but this class has the chance to be the most important class in decades. It is my assumption that JB is gone after this season and GMac takes over. These 5 kids get the first shot at carrying on the SU tradition post-JB. This is big time in seeing where we will be as a program in 5 years. If this class ends up being a hit and GMac continues to recruit, we might not miss a beat.
Wow what a great job by JB and the staff.
What sticks out to me about this class is the attitudes of the kids. Each one of them seem team oriented and selfless. JB has landed a great group of kids who i believe are a perfect fit for his system and more importantly him as a teacher and coach. Happy for JB. I think this group is going to do very well.

I agree that it may be the most important class in decades, but I think you're wrong about JB leaving after this season.

Indeed, I think this class pretty much guarantees that he's NOT going to retire after this season, health willing. JB sees the talent he has coming in next year and that tells him that he can probably compete with the upper echelon of the ACC next year and the next.

I'm convinced that the only thing that could persuade him to retire--aside from health issues--is not being able to bring in the talent he needs to be competitive with The Best.

IMO, JB is now virtually guaranteed to be around for the next two years, and probably longer...

This class reminds me of Forth‘s class that set up Carmelo and GMAC. It was the foundation for the national championship team. We need a couple of stud offensive players in next years class to make another championship run.
If Benny stays and we land one stud scorer its game on

Those are 2 TURRIBLE assumptions.

Why would JB retire?

Because he’s not coaching his kids anymore?
What the hell else is he gonna do with his time?

His 9 game suspension gave him a little taste of his post-basketball life.
He HATED it.

Also - GMac - LOL.
He is literally the least qualified of our 3 Assistant coaches.

But I get it - spunky white guards make great coaches, right? :rolleyes:

Funny how they got Maliq as most impactful day 1. I agree. Also Bunch will surprise in the QG/OB way.

Would love to see it. I feel like so many people get hung up on HS rankings, which I get, but at the end of the day, the impact these guys have is what will matter. Look what happened with Kaleb and Jalen, who were what, Top 40-ish?...versus a guy like Kadary or Buddy. I'm very hopeful and optimistic that all five guys in this class outperform their ranking.

Those are 2 TURRIBLE assumptions.

Why would JB retire?

Because he’s not coaching his kids anymore?
What the hell else is he gonna do with his time?

His 9 game suspension gave him a little taste of his post-basketball life.
He HATED it.

Also - GMac - LOL.
He is literally the least qualified of our 3 Assistant coaches.

But I get it - spunky white guards make great coaches, right? :rolleyes:
I have no idea if JB will retire, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he does after this year.

GMac will be the coach if Hop says no

These Five are going to be very good. I love the PG he is without a doubt my favorite recruit since Kadary. Love philly players and love big PGs in JBs zone. His ability to take it to the rack coupled with Joe and the new kid at the two is a really nice combo. Add in Bunch who can fill it up and is athletic and God yes please Benny for a second year coupled with Edwards and Frank and the new kids and you have a very talented very big very balanced team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom