Class of 2022 - 247 summary | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 247 summary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stuff. In all honesty there has been more thorough content just by posters here who have watched a lot of tape. Some of the commentary is pretty general. The guy it seems Adam has the most familiarity with is Brown. There is not much on Carey given he hasn't been really evaluated so we should have a better feel next spring. Which honestly goes for this whole class. Still a lot to like.
The thing I really like is how much ball skill all of these guys have. All can handle, pass, run etc. this nucleus to me is very different to what we have had the last few years.

Those are 2 TURRIBLE assumptions.

Why would JB retire?

Because he’s not coaching his kids anymore?
What the hell else is he gonna do with his time?

His 9 game suspension gave him a little taste of his post-basketball life.
He HATED it.

Also - GMac - LOL.
He is literally the least qualified of our 3 Assistant coaches.

But I get it - spunky white guards make great coaches, right? :rolleyes:
Awesome! Another GMac hate post. And a racist one at that. Well done.

The guys still out there are likely waiting until spring to commit to see how teams rosters shake out. A few we already have a good idea where they are going and those guys will go to teams who already have top classes. Mark Mitchell to Duke. Ty Rodgers to Michigan. Bona to UCLA or UK. Who the heck knows what happens with Cruz or Westry.
Rodgers to Illinois actually

The thing I really like is how much ball skill all of these guys have. All can handle, pass, run etc. this nucleus to me is very different to what we have had the last few years.

Yep. Even Carey who more will know about over time.

The key to me is that we have been playing this game of have a team of good playmakers then a team of good defenders , then a team of good shooters and now finally we are closing in more on looking to have guys with all of that. It's what won Baylor a title without top 20 guys.

And what if he can't coach, as is becoming increasingly evident?

Doesn't matter who my short list is -- I'd prefer due diligence to find the best candidate. This is an attractive job, there's no need to limit our candidate pool to only in-house options. And frankly, given the extended phase of mediocrity that the program has slipped into, a clean break and an infusion of fresh ideas and new approaches are what's needed to jump start the program.
I think you have to discard last year almost totally as just a weird year with a terrible team. I think he’s closer to his first two years when he was the two time pac 12 coach of the year. 2019-2020 was a disaster. A combo of bad personnel, injuries and poor coaching and decisions. But he’s still managed to win in that dumpster fire of a preogram and would KILL it here.
That said I think naming alternatives is important because they’re really are none. Duke went Scheyer. We will absolutely hire an alum

I agree that it may be the most important class in decades, but I think you're wrong about JB leaving after this season.

Indeed, I think this class pretty much guarantees that he's NOT going to retire after this season, health willing. JB sees the talent he has coming in next year and that tells him that he can probably compete with the upper echelon of the ACC next year and the next.

I'm convinced that the only thing that could persuade him to retire--aside from health issues--is not being able to bring in the talent he needs to be competitive with The Best.

IMO, JB is now virtually guaranteed to be around for the next two years, and probably longer...
100% agree. They are going to have to drag his dead body off the court someday, that would be how he retires. And even then he may have it in his contract to be propped up on the bench with sunglasses on Weekend at Bernie-style

Awesome! Another GMac hate post. And a racist one at that. Well done.

I have ZERO “hate” for GMac.

Love the guy, he’s an all-time great Cuse college hoops player, and a pretty decent coach.

So, it’s racist to point out that a non-trivial number of Cuse fans love to Stan for GMac as our next HC;
in spite of the fact that he is - BY FAR - our least experienced or accomplished Assistant coach??
:rolleyes:

I think you have to discard last year almost totally as just a weird year with a terrible team. I think he’s closer to his first two years when he was the two time pac 12 coach of the year. 2019-2020 was a disaster. A combo of bad personnel, injuries and poor coaching and decisions. But he’s still managed to win in that dumpster fire of a preogram and would KILL it here.
That said I think naming alternatives is important because they’re really are none. Duke went Scheyer. We will absolutely hire an alum

But it wasn't just last year, it's been the last TWO years. And two years ago, he had two of the top recruits in the country, who are both now in the NBA. Questioning his acumen is not just fair, it is WARRANTED at this point.

We might hire from within, but that would be a mistake. Duke has a reason to desire continuity -- because they are killing it on the recruiting trail, and most years are top 8.

The same can't be said here, on either front. So logically, why would we delimit ourselves to internal candidates? Continuity of the status quo? C'mon.

Love the guy, he’s an all-time great Cuse college hoops player, and a pretty decent coach.

So, it’s racist to point out that a non-trivial number of Cuse fans love to Stan for GMac as our next HC;
in spite of the fact that he is - BY FAR - our least experienced or accomplished Assistant coach??
Hes our best recruiter and it's not close, he's well known, he's loved by everybody. It's an easy decision

But it wasn't just last year, it's been the last TWO years. And two years ago, he had two of the top recruits in the country, who are both now in the NBA. Questioning his acumen is not just fair, it is WARRANTED at this point.

We might hire from within, but that would be a mistake. Duke has a reason to desire continuity -- because they are killing it on the recruiting trail, and most years are top 8.

The same can't be said here, on either front. So logically, why would we delimit ourselves to internal candidates? Continuity of the status quo? C'mon.
That’s why naming candidates is important. It’s easy to say we should open up our search but in reality there are no candidates better than Hop. If people have suggestions let’s hear them.

and I noted the struggle in 19-20. I just discard last year in total. Too many weird variables.

That’s why naming candidates is important. It’s easy to say we should open up our search but in reality there are no candidates better than Hop. If people have suggestions let’s hear them.

and I noted the struggle in 19-20. I just discard last year in total. Too many weird variables.

Oats.

I know he’s killing it at Bama, but I think he’d still take the call.

I honestly can’t think of others offhand, but - that doesn’t mean there aren’t any worthy other NON-Syracuse options to consider.

But it doesn’t really matter now anyway. JB ain’t retiring any time soon.

Claiming that there are no candidates doesn't mean that there actually aren't. Again, this is a top caliber, high profile job -- candidates that aren't readily obvious now, when no exit timeframe is defined, will come out of the woodwork to throw their hats in the ring when JB actually steps away. What coach engaged at another school / program would publicly express interest in a vacancy a few years down the road? 98% of the horse trading happens behind the scenes anyway, to gauge interest / evaluate financials / schedule interviews. The public is almost always the last to know.

And candidates might also emerge from sources that aren't on most fans' radar, such as a highly successful 1AA coach that rank and file fans haven't heard of.

Naming coaches today is irrelevant, because most fans don't have a perspective on the landscape beyond 50 programs or so, anyway.

Edit -- for the record, I LOVE Hop. Guy is great, I'm very appreciative for all of his contributions to the program I love, as both a player and an assistant coach. The energy and enthusiasm he has is incredible. But his tenure at Washington has been mixed, at best. And at minimum should be cause for concern about how his coaching acumen would translate here. Being a head coach is a multi-faceted role -- recruiting is one part -- a very important part, but only a single facet. If someone can't coach, or is a no-trick pony beyond playing zone [which is debatable with Hop, at this point], then bringing him back might not be the best choice. My love for Hopkins as a person, former player, and former coach here doesn't prevent me from being able to acknowledge those issues / concerns.

Last edited:

how do you measure “accomplished”?

weak answer.

LOL.

OK - years of coaching experience.
3rd out of 3.

And I’ll leave it up to the crootin gurus to verify, but I’d be willing to bet that at this very moment, he still is the least successful recruiter of the 3.

People who’ve met him in person say he’s not the most charasmiatic or engaging dude.

He has ZERO non-Syracuse coaching experience.
Both Red & Griff have worked elsewhere.

I literally cannot think of any basis whatsoever that Gerry is a better HC candidate than Red or Griff.

Prove me wrong.

Oats.

I know he’s killing it at Bama, but I think he’d still take the call.

I honestly can’t think of others offhand, but - that doesn’t mean there aren’t any worthy other NON-Syracuse options to consider.

But it doesn’t really matter now anyway. JB ain’t retiring any time soon.
Ok Oats is one guy…and probably a “over my dead body” guy at this point.

the reason we can’t think of others is because there are probably about 5 guys that are up and coming, that have more experience or track record than Mike and that have a remote shot of being selected here.

for example, one might make the argument that Paulus could be a candidate…but he’s a very uniqu

It's not the actual subject of this thread but I'm going to ask it anyway:

Will the optics of elevating GMAC above two coaches with more experience who are black play a role in the decision as to who will succeed JB?

Also, will that be JB's decision or Wildhacks? Will Wildhack want to pick his own man?

LOL.

OK - years of coaching experience.
3rd out of 3.

And I’ll leave it up to the crootin gurus to verify, but I’d be willing to bet that at this very moment, he still is the least successful recruiter of the 3.

People who’ve met him in person say he’s not the most charasmiatic or engaging dude.

He has ZERO non-Syracuse coaching experience.
Both Red & Griff have worked elsewhere.

I literally cannot think of any basis whatsoever that Gerry is a better HC candidate than Red or Griff.

Prove me wrong.
Im going to leave Griff out of it for now because I think he and Gmac are near equal on experience front. But GMAC hopping (nice right?) over Autry is absurd.

It's not the actual subject of this thread but I'm going to ask it anyway:

Will the optics of elevating GMAC above two coaches with more experience who are black play a role in the decision as to who will succeed JB?

Also, will that be JB's decision or Wildhacks? Will Wildhack want to pick his own man?
Crazy that we have to worry about such a thing, but Im sure race will come up if McNamara is the hire.

Crazy that we have to worry about such a thing, but Im sure race will come up if McNamara is the hire.
Why crazy? There’s an odd disparity in basketball between the race of the players that play the game and the race of the players that coach the game. Fortunate that we have diversity on our staff, but if they went with GMac that conversation could and should occur.

Thought this thread was supposed to be about this year’s great recruiting efforts and the recruit’s rankings. Instead it then mainly becomes an opinion piece to argue about a new coach. There are just some folks who can’t seem to be positive for more than a minute without going on a tangent putting a negative or controversial spin on good news. Recruits, their families and friends, SU fans etc expecting to read about 247’s ratings regarding our new additions are being introduced to some favorite activities - thread hijacking. Strange.

How about some old zone vs man arguments? :rolleyes:

What sets us apart is our coaching stability that resembles a family. If we hire an outsider he will be gone to greener $$$ pastures if he is successful. Once stability is lost it would not be easily recovered. Look at our sorry state of football.
No reason not to hire within. We have competant staff that bleed orange. How much head coaching experience did JB have when hs took over? Head coachingexperience did not matter for Duke and NC.

Those are 2 TURRIBLE assumptions.

Why would JB retire?

Because he’s not coaching his kids anymore?
What the hell else is he gonna do with his time?

His 9 game suspension gave him a little taste of his post-basketball life.
He HATED it.

Also - GMac - LOL.
He is literally the least qualified of our 3 Assistant coaches.

But I get it - spunky white guards make great coaches, right? :rolleyes:
Lunch pail, Gym ray High IQ coaches I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online