Class of 2022 - 247 summary | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 247 summary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea if JB will retire, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he does after this year.

GMac will be the coach if Hop says no
I agree i think Gmac will be the coach over Red which i never though would happen

I agree i think Gmac will be the coach over Red which i never though would happen
And i think he will be an excellent coach never though id say

No thanks to either.

This. x144.

We do a NATIONAL SEARCH.
We identify ALL of the best possible candidates.
(Having an affiliation to Syracuse is NOT required).

I’m pretty sure Hop & Red will be on the list, at least initially

Beyond that?
Remains to be seen who is (still) coaching where when that time finally arrives.

The only way(s) he retires after this season is/are:
-serious health issue.
or
- we win the Natty.

He didn’t just recruit these 5 guys, only to not be around to coach them.

No thanks to either.
I couldn't agree more with you, and also in todays climate it does not seem right to choose Gmac who has minimal coaching experience over an established coach in Red. Looking at it objectively what advantage does Gerry have in terms of being qualified to be the Head Coach of Syracuse?

I couldn't agree more with you, and also in todays climate it does not seem right to choose Gmac who has minimal coaching experience over an established coach in Red. Looking at it objectively what advantage does Gerry have in terms of being qualified to be the Head Coach of Syracuse?

Zero, beyond being connected to the program.

Which is a "nice to have" criteria, hardly a "need to have."

The objective should be to identify and hire the best, most qualified candidate that we have. Period.

I don’t know about their bench or game skills but I think either has the potential to be solid in the team management, player development, motivation areas. I’m not sure it is feasible to pass over Red in this scenario if your two choices are him and Gerry.

I have no idea if JB will retire, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he does after this year.

GMac will be the coach if Hop says no

I think it's fair to say that if he DOESN'T retire after this year, then he'll probably coach until he's 100.

No on Hop? Wha?!?

Yup.

His stock has trended downward, and he might be demonstrating that he doesn't have the chops for sustained success.

We need to think bigger. See 721comstock's post above -- it's spot on.

JB has already stated that both NC and Duke elevated from within and Syracuse will do the same. I’m not sure if I want Hop as my first choice. I think GMAC will be the next head coach at SU.

Yup.

His stock has trended downward, and he might be demonstrating that he doesn't have the chops for sustained success.

We need to think bigger. See 721comstock's post above -- it's spot on.
Hop will absolutely slaughter the recruiting trail at SU. Couple that with the big guns retiring and we could be in line for perennial Top 5 classes year after year. Passing that up for an unknown is crazy IMO.

so what coaches would you shortlist here?

JB has had a GMAC fetish since 2003 Championship, maybe rightly so. He's desperately even tried to recapture the magic with later guards, see Trevor Cooney and now Joe Girard. He will help get Red a head coaching job where he can coach his son somewhere in the MAC or A10. Then, retire just prior to a particular start of the season when Gerry is firmly entrenched as the 1st assistant.

For the record: I want Gerry as the next head coach.

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see where we end up ranked by the end of the cycle. Looks like 25 four star or better recruits remain uncommitted (and of course, no letters of intent yet so theoretically, committed guys could still end up shifting elsewhere). At any rate, we seem poised to end up at least in the top 25 and maybe in the teens depending on how things play out (and of course this could change more depending on how our guys rise or fall). The rankings obviously aren't the end all be all though.

Once the letters of intent are signed and I have free time, I'm hoping to start scouting our guys like I did for the Kadary/Woody/Frank class. Hopefully I'll end up liking one of these guys the way I did Kadary :)

These Five are going to be very good. I love the PG he is without a doubt my favorite recruit since Kadary. Love philly players and love big PGs in JBs zone. His ability to take it to the rack coupled with Joe and the new kid at the two is a really nice combo. Add in Bunch who can fill it up and is athletic and God yes please Benny for a second year coupled with Edwards and Frank and the new kids and you have a very talented very big very balanced team.
This cracked me up pretty good.

It'll be interesting to see where we end up ranked by the end of the cycle. Looks like 25 four star or better recruits remain uncommitted (and of course, no letters of intent yet so theoretically, committed guys could still end up shifting elsewhere). At any rate, we seem poised to end up at least in the top 25 and maybe in the teens depending on how things play out (and of course this could change more depending on how our guys rise or fall). The rankings obviously aren't the end all be all though.

Once the letters of intent are signed and I have free time, I'm hoping to start scouting our guys like I did for the Kadary/Woody/Frank class. Hopefully I'll end up liking one of these guys the way I did Kadary :)

This cracked me up pretty good.

I think it's unlikely we drop past 15. Notably because of the size of the class plus possible improvement in rankings for guys like Carey Brown and Quadir. Still class size likely doesn't let us out of the top 15 unless we see a major drop in Taylor and Bunch. The remaining top 100 guys will be scattered and unless everyone behind us doubles up, don't see it.

Good stuff. In all honesty there has been more thorough content just by posters here who have watched a lot of tape. Some of the commentary is pretty general. The guy it seems Adam has the most familiarity with is Brown. There is not much on Carey given he hasn't been really evaluated so we should have a better feel next spring. Which honestly goes for this whole class. Still a lot to like.

Hop will absolutely slaughter the recruiting trail at SU. Couple that with the big guns retiring and we could be in line for perennial Top 5 classes year after year. Passing that up for an unknown is crazy IMO.

so what coaches would you shortlist here?

And what if he can't coach, as is becoming increasingly evident?

Doesn't matter who my short list is -- I'd prefer due diligence to find the best candidate. This is an attractive job, there's no need to limit our candidate pool to only in-house options. And frankly, given the extended phase of mediocrity that the program has slipped into, a clean break and an infusion of fresh ideas and new approaches are what's needed to jump start the program.

The guys still out there are likely waiting until spring to commit to see how teams rosters shake out. A few we already have a good idea where they are going and those guys will go to teams who already have top classes. Mark Mitchell to Duke. Ty Rodgers to Michigan. Bona to UCLA or UK. Who the heck knows what happens with Cruz or Westry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom