2nd Half Adjustments (or lack thereof) | Syracusefan.com

2nd Half Adjustments (or lack thereof)

Ozcuse

All American
A lot of my concern with the coaching staff is that since the Wake Forest game we have been getting schooled in the 2nd half. We have been outscored 93-48. This doesn't look at OT but since we've lost one and won one, it's a wash.

We have been in the lead or pretty damn close in all of our games going into Halftime. After Halftime we turn into a shell of our 1st half self.

CMU- outscored us 14-0 in 2nd half

LSU- outscored us 27-21 in 2nd half

USF outscored us 35-21 in 2nd half

UVA outscored us 10-3 in 2nd half

Pitt outscored us 10-3 in 2nd half

Now we can come up with all sorts of excuses: defense penalties, BS calls, Whigham sucks, Dungey hurt, God hates SU, bad luck, etc. but the consistent thing I've seen is that opposing coaches are making adjustments and we aren't keeping up. That needs to change.

What I want to see in the last 5 games:

WIN THE DAMN 2ND HALF. Doesn't have to be a W, but come out and score more points and get more yards than the other team in the 2nd half. A 2nd half win against FSU's or Clemson's 2nd/3rd string doesn't count. 1st string vs 1st string, let's finish strong.

Win Time of Possession in 2nd Half. I don't even want to compute our 2nd half ToP vs. Opponents since WF. $100 bucks it's terrible.

Force a 3 and Out in the 4th Q. I know, not asking for much here... Baby steps. Let's put a team away instead of allowing back to back 19 play scoring drives to finish regulation. I'm not even mad, that's amazing(ly bad).

Win the Turnover battle in 2nd Half. Two back to back interceptions by Dungey in the 2nd half yesterday killed any momentum we had going into half time.

3rd down conversions in the 2nd half. We started the year terrible on third down. We got a little better but it's still like night and day 1st half vs. 2nd half. We need to get the D off the field but we also need to give our D a rest when we get the chance.

More fist pumps and jumping around on the sideline. Now it looked kinda silly when Pitt was going nuts on the sideline between 3rd and 4th Q but damnit, they got pumped up and got confident.

Play to Win. This is more a feeling than something that can be quantified but it seems like we step off the gas or play too tight coming out in the 2nd half of the last five games. Shafer should be coaching like what's left of his hair is on fire and his players should be playing like they are playing for their coach's job. Effort, want to, gumption, whatever you want to call it, I want to see it.

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but I like the thing where Narduzzi gets all the Pitt players jacked up for the 4th quarter.

Most importantly... WHAT I want to see.

Stop beating ourselves !!!

As much as I love Shafer, I will agree 100% that we lack in-game adjustments. I'm always afraid that the other team will beat us in the 2nd half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom