3-4 Defense | Syracusefan.com

3-4 Defense

CuseCuse

Walk On
With the loss of MPB would it be a good idea to move to a 3-4 defense? John Raymon and Jay Bromley would be idea 3-4 type DE's with their quickness yet while both being around 300 lbs and then you the big guys to put right over the center in Zian Jones and WW. It also get all four of our talented LBs on the field.

With the loss of MPB would it be a good idea to move to a 3-4 defense? John Raymon and Jay Bromley would be idea 3-4 type DE's with their quickness yet while both being around 300 lbs and then you the big guys to put right over the center in Zian Jones and WW. It also get all four of our talented LBs on the field.
We don't have an established MLB, never mind 2. So no.

We don't have an established MLB, never mind 2. So no.

Spruill is proven and Archineiga is supposedly a stud, and if hes not then stand up a DE like josh manley and move cam lynch inside. The possibility is there.

Big LBs needed for 3-4 since you are routinely taking on guards. I wouldn't rule it out but DE still has Simmons, Robinson (who I expect will blossom), welsh, Manley. Plus possibly raymon.

Spruill is proven and Archineiga is supposedly a stud, and if hes not then stand up a DE like josh manley and move cam lynch inside. The possibility is there.
If Spruill was a proven MLB then why didn't he play last year at MLB? Staff wasn't comfortable with him and his assignments there. Also, Arciniega might be a stud but hasn't proven a thing yet. Cam Lynch is a good player but has been better at OLB as well. Not to mention Shafer and his assistants have always been mainly 4-3 guys.

You also need to look at the depth on the DL compared to LB
DE: Welsh, Robinson, Simmons, Manley, Trejo, I. Johnson
DT: Bromley, Z. Jones, W. Williams, Raymon, Sloan

That stable of DT's would be much better suited to 4-3, especially when you can play Raymon as a strong side DE. Robinson and Welsh played well and Simmons looks ready to make the jump this year.

Contrast that to our LBs, who are
OLB: D. Davis, Lynch, Spruill, Vigille, J. Washington, Kirkland
MLB: Arciniega, Coker, Hodge

There is no combination of 4 of those guys that wouldn't leave us exposed in coverage/against the run. Many are situational IMO

If Spruill was a proven MLB then why didn't he play last year at MLB? Staff wasn't comfortable with him and his assignments there. Also, Arciniega might be a stud but hasn't proven a thing yet. Cam Lynch is a good player but has been better at OLB as well. Not to mention Shafer and his assistants have always been mainly 4-3 guys.

You also need to look at the depth on the DL compared to LB
DE: Welsh, Robinson, Simmons, Manley, Trejo, I. Johnson
DT: Bromley, Z. Jones, W. Williams, Raymon, Sloan

That stable of DT's would be much better suited to 4-3, especially when you can play Raymon as a strong side DE. Robinson and Welsh played well and Simmons looks ready to make the jump this year.

Contrast that to our LBs, who are
OLB: D. Davis, Lynch, Spruill, Vigille, J. Washington, Kirkland
MLB: Arciniega, Coker, Hodge

There is no combination of 4 of those guys that wouldn't leave us exposed in coverage/against the run. Many are situational IMO
You forgot Eric Crume at DT.

Everyone is hating on Crume lately Cohen left him out of PS article the other day.

I guess the way I have been looking at it is we have a lot of talent at DT and if LA comes in and is as good as were hoping we have 4 LBs that should be on the field. A 3-4 seems like it could be a good way to get the most out of our talent.

If two DE's show up in spring camp then this is a non issue but if DE continues to be a question mark then I think a 3-4 could be very good for us. Also ya gotta think that if you have Jones or WW in the middle they would also take up a double team freeing up our LBs.

IMO

I wish someone would tell poor Michael Coehen this. He was at it again in his latest defensive preview where he may his prediction that they would move Spruill back inside.

I wish someone would tell poor Michael Coehen this. He was at it again in his latest defensive preview where he may his prediction that they would move Spruill back inside.

Yeah, it's a good thing the Post Sub-Standard got rid of Dave Rahme. Guy didn't know nuttin'. Look at all the valuable insight and analysis we're getting from Cohen. Can't wait to read his pre- and post- game ramblings come this fall. Spring and summer practice insights should be interesting as well. (*barf* *barf*)
:bat:

Yeah, it's a good thing the Post Sub-Standard got rid of Dave Rahme. Guy didn't know nuttin'. Look at all the valuable insight and analysis we're getting from Cohen. Can't wait to read his pre- and post- game ramblings come this fall. Spring and summer practice insights should be interesting as well. (*barf* *barf*)
:bat:

seriously we went from someone who knows their business, who you actually feel you were gaining some valuable insight on the team that we did not know, to now reading articles where you feel you should be telling him what to write.

Did someone say they were moving Lynch to MLB or was i dreaming that?

Did someone say they were moving Lynch to MLB or was i dreaming that?
I was told Lynch was getting a shot at the MIKE this spring. Unless something really strange happens, pretty sure the starter is going to be Lynch or Luke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom