Projecting the two deep | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Projecting the two deep

This.

We all have seen past teams where a starter is playing injured because the 2nd String guy either isn't physically ready or just not a P4 level player.

Our 2nd string OL looks like a unit that is littered with P4 starter ready guys.

We'll hopefully find out next Saturday with some reserves getting time.
The OL backups gives me optimism too. How many years have we limped through November because our O-Line ended up a mess. Good on Fran getting the old O-Line to stay even though they knew he was portaling over them.

Keeping McCord healthy is priority #1. We want Cuse to be a destination for a top QB's to portal in and up their draft stock when Fran calls. We don't want them to not answer the phone because they've watched another Cuse QB get knocked out of a game in September.

It sounds as if the coaches are going to rotate players not just use them in the of an injury. I expect to see 8 guys play on the O and D lines. 3 RBs. A ton of WRs and DBs and yes i expect to see our backup QB get reps in games as well. Keeping guys fresh is important to keeping them healthy plus obviously it builds depth.

It sounds as if the coaches are going to rotate players not just use them in the of an injury. I expect to see 8 guys play on the O and D lines. 3 RBs. A ton of WRs and DBs and yes i expect to see our backup QB get reps in games as well. Keeping guys fresh is important to keeping them healthy plus obviously it builds depth.
If heard they consider the first OL 10 guys and the DL to be a group of 12. The DL will be a lot of rotation, that’s not unique. What’s new for SU is 7 guys at or within 5 lbs of 300. That’s not where Clemson is but they are unique.

The OL is huge. The first group of 10 average 6-5 321. That’s comparable with Clemson, FSU, and NCSt.

Last edited:
I think the one unit that you don’t rotate players is the OL. That would be a mistake and I doubt that we do that unless there’s an injury. They have to be the most in sync and that becomes more difficult when running guys in and out. If you have the same 5 guys in the last game of the year that started game 1….. I’ll bet we here are all happy with the season as a whole.

I think the one unit that you don’t rotate players is the OL. That would be a mistake and I doubt that we do that unless there’s an injury. They have to be the most in sync and that becomes more difficult when running guys in and out. If you have the same 5 guys in the last game of the year that started game 1….. I’ll bet we here are all happy with the season as a whole.
I could see rotation on the OL if we are up big.

Let’s not forget that 3 of the apparent starters this season were here last year. And based on the O line coaches interview, if I recall correctly, 6 or seven on the 2 deep are returners. There was some o line talent here.

Last edited:

Agreed. It’s a unit where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

I’m glad we have depth to insert a backup if needed, but I can’t imagine we want to be constantly rotating.

DL, totally get it. WR, RB, sure. Situational stuff across the board, yep.

QB and OL, keep it consistent.

SU TE and DB units get some respect. Nice.

I wish they would group “pass catchers”. Having LQA, OG and our WRs, I wonder where that group would end up (I think we’d deserve to be ranked high to be clear).

I wish they would group “pass catchers”. Having LQA, OG and our WRs, I wonder where that group would end up (I think we’d deserve to be ranked high to be clear).
We will find out exactly where our 'pass catchers' are ranked when Kyle has better stats than Will Howard when the season ends :cool:

Agree but I don't think we have much to worry about.

All the interviews with Nick have featured depth and rotations but the interview with Dale was very focused on best 5.

Dale even said, if/when someone goes down you move to 6, then 7 etc. There was absolutely no talk of 'interchangeability' which was nice as I agree with your sentiments.

All the interviews with Nick have featured depth and rotations but the interview with Dale was very focused on best 5.

Dale even said, if/when someone goes down you move to 6, then 7 etc. There was absolutely no talk of 'interchangeability' which was nice as I agree with your sentiments.
Yup. Listening to Dale in that interview I think it's very unlikely we will see a rotation on the OL as part of the game plan unless there is an injury. He was empathetic in stating "the best 5" will play. As you said, he mentioned, for example, if the left guard goes down, it's not that he will be replaced by the next left guard on the 2 deep. He will be replaced by the 6th best OL and they will make position adjustments from there.

Yup. Listening to Dale in that interview I think it's very unlikely we will see a rotation on the OL as part of the game plan unless there is an injury. He was empathetic in stating "the best 5" will play. As you said, he mentioned, for example, if the left guard goes down, it's not that he will be replaced by the next left guard on the 2 deep. He will be replaced by the 6th best OL and they will make position adjustments from there.
I found that strange... Aren't the skills necessary to excel for guard and tackle quite different?

I get o line is o line, but there has to be a learning curve if you've been practicing as a tackle and they put you in as a guard.

I found that strange... Aren't the skills necessary to excel for guard and tackle quite different?

I get o line is o line, but there has to be a learning curve if you've been practicing as a tackle and they put you in as a guard.
I think he meant that they would move players on the line to ensure the best 5 are on the line.

The interchangeable part is part of what he said which is why Cruz was at OG unless I didn't understand him.

If heard they consider the first OL 10 guys and the DL to be a group of 12. The DL will be a lot of rotation, that’s not unique. What’s new for SU is 7 guys at or within 5 lbs of 300. That’s not where Clemson is but they are unique.

The OL is huge. The first group of 10 average 6-5 321. That’s comparable with Clemson, FSU, and NCSt.
Im guessing you’ve listened to Axe and Emily’s recent pod. Ive found it great and informative

That is really unfair. 13 starts, kid was available at a position that was in flux, he’s started 18 games his RSF and So season where he’s been the most consistent player. Zero sacks allowed is big. Is he Bergeron, no, but doesn’t mean he sucks. If he has been recruited over, that’s a credit to the staff and those guys, hard to get guys that can step over a two year starter.

EC is a good player who got thrown in the fire early and did okay. Most programs he would have been a depth piece to this point.
Not to mention we will need him this year and having that kind of experience in a secondary role is a huge plus. Something we've had very little of in the last decade.

i think Allen will have a chance to rewrite every single season rushing record we have this year while Nixon and Willis get meaningful snaps too.

i think Allen will have a chance to rewrite every single season rushing record we have this year while Nixon and Willis get meaningful snaps too.
He needs to be two yds per carry better to get a sniff.

Last edited:
He need to be two yds per carry better to get a sniff.
Aside from the fact that he’s one of the top rb’s we’ve had in the 2000’s, he’ll have a shot. We’ve got Haynes and Hatcher downfield with Pena and OG over the middle. A bigger, and hopefully better, line. We’ve got a good recipe for impactful running.

Playcalling remains to be seen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom