Projecting the two deep | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Projecting the two deep

i think Allen will have a chance to rewrite every single season rushing record we have this year while Nixon and Willis get meaningful snaps too.
Allen might have almost as many yard receiving as he does on the ground. He won't come close to the rushing record as the ball is going to be spread out, not only amongst the RBs, but the rest of the weapons. Key is he proves to be a Swiss army knife. Rushing, catching, specials and he will get drafted.

Aside from the fact that he’s one of the top rb’s we’ve had in the 2000’s, he’ll have a shot. We’ve got Haynes and Hatcher downfield with Pena and OG over the middle. A bigger, and hopefully better, line. We’ve got a good recipe for impactful running.

Playcalling remains to be seen
I think Nixon as a playcaller is probably one of the most proven game day skills on our current coaching staff.

I found that strange... Aren't the skills necessary to excel for guard and tackle quite different?

I get o line is o line, but there has to be a learning curve if you've been practicing as a tackle and they put you in as a guard.
The learning curve part is definitely true. In fact, even the footwork between right and left guard (or tackle) is different. However, the philosophy of playing your 5 "best" available OL is not unique to Williams.

Allen might have almost as many yard receiving as he does on the ground. He won't come close to the rushing record as the ball is going to be spread out, not only amongst the RBs, but the rest of the weapons. Key is he proves to be a Swiss army knife. Rushing, catching, specials and he will get drafted.
Im excited to see the other weapons, rb’s and skills players, and how they’re worked in. I agree that Willis, Nixon and others will get plenty of touches.

Allen’s a proven commodity though. He’s our best rb, our best pass catching rb, and has been outstanding protecting the ball. There’s something to be said about the guy you know you can trust.

We were amazed by Villari last year but what sometimes gets forgotten is Allen was doing the same and he had been a well used starter all year long.

I don’t know if I’ve seen a better example of a workhorse in my 20+ years of being a cuse fan. He wont need to shoulder that load this year, ideally, but the guys damn impressive.

Only thing I disagree with is his pro potential. Don’t think he has the extra gear and explosiveness that they look for.

Agreed. Also, imo, Allen is our second-best receiving threat behind OG or third at worst behind Haynes.

I’d also argue he may have the best wiggle in space out of all our weapons.

He reminds me of emmit smith. great lateral quickness and really good eyes with some power, just no breakaway speed.
Im sure that is why Fran is going to put him on Special teams it might be a way he sticks

Allen does a good job blocking in the backfield and we haven’t had a whole lot of that in the past two decades. The man has earned trust in all the roles he’s been tasked with - blocking, catching the ball out of the backfield, being a workhorse back, seemingly a great teammate and leader - I am hopeful he is going to be rewarded this year for all hard work, patience and faith in being an Orangeman. He’s earned it.

He reminds me of emmit smith. great lateral quickness and really good eyes with some power, just no breakaway speed.
He reminds me of a LeSean McCoy type of player.

And I think he looked plenty fast in the spring game pulling away from some dudes. Just a really well rounded 3 down back.

Yeah but allen is only 5'10" really so not much of a reach.
John Madden always used to talk about how hard it was to find Smith behind the line of guys 8 inches taller and 100lbs heavier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom