Projecting the two deep | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Projecting the two deep

Fair point. My post was based more on participation than production: Simmons got a lot of snaps in the spring game and appeared with the 2’s in camp. But as far as actual production, I agree that David O is highly disruptive. Caden Brown looked good too. Either could make the 2-deep and beat out Simmons, who knows. Great thread.
Slimy David!

Boo. Haha. Emily Leiker said that the four main linebackers were constantly being coached by Rob Wright. The others, Heard included, were off to the side with GA’s. Wright clearly wants those guys to the most prepared .
Sounds like Sparrow and BMG are crossed trained at both spots and are way ahead of the other backups.
I dont know if i am a fan of that. U coach all of them cause its an injury away. i get maybe the babies who would slow down the learning of the defense but everyone should get top coaching

Fair point. My post was based more on participation than production: Simmons got a lot of snaps in the spring game and appeared with the 2’s in camp. But as far as actual production, while I read that KJE was being moved to OLB (he could still blitz from that position) and haven’t seen Heard on the edge, for sure David O is highly disruptive. You can add Caden Brown to the list too. Either could make the 2-deep and beat out Simmons, who knows. Great thread.
David O is going to be on the field a ton

So according to some Hatcher Pena Haynes are the three starting wrs with Gadson as the TE.

Not any great insights here, just based on some pressers, brief glimpses, and experience.

Starting Defense - DL. Diggs, Wilson, Hastings, Jaquez; LB Wax, McDonald; DB Grant, Chestnut, Clark, Barron, Lewis. Six Seniors, Four Juniors, One RS Soph.

Offense - OL Weatherspoon, Petry, Reed, Bradford, Washington; TE. OG; WR, Haynes, Pena, JRS; QB, McCord; Rb, LQA. Four Seniors, Seven Juniors, One RSF

Here’s a note on the OL Average of 6-5, 318 for all 17. Only one is under 300.

DL - 7 kids you would project inside average 300, that’s a remarkable change.

2s D DL, KJE, Perry, Nwokocha, Jobity; LB, Sparrow, ZMG;, DB Barnes, Perry, Gould, Delaine, Bellamy. 3 Jrs, 5 so, 1 RSF, 2 Fr

O OL Cruz Jr, Moeolo, Ilaoa, Miller, Wohlabaugh,;TE Villari/Mang; WR Hatcher, Meeks, Gill; QB Johnson; Rb Willis. 4 Sr, 5 Jr, 2 So, 1 Fr
Compared to the paper. Really close.

Differences. Wr - same six,Hatcher starting over JRS, makes sense because of snaps in camp. OL same except for Joe Cruz over Dave W, guessing because of injury.

Defense - David O and Simmons ahead of KJE and Jobity - that is surprising to me, in particular Jobity. Watson ahead of Nwokocha, younger guy wins, interesting.

Was just throwing names for 2nd safeties but Long and Berry emerge out of pack, good for them.

Chase Simmons was on the game 1 two deep depth chart in 2022 vs Louisville as a redshirt freshman. Was listed then at 6-4 257. He’s obviously been putting in the work post injuries to get back in the mix.

So according to some Hatcher Pena Haynes are the three starting wrs with Gadson as the TE.
It may happen but I’d be surprised to see Hatcher as a starter. Beating out Meeks, JRS, Gill and some of the new freshman. Could happen but would be surprised. Was a good block but that alone is not going to get you starter reps this season.

It may happen but I’d be surprised to see Hatcher as a starter. Beating out Meeks, JRS, Gill and some of the new freshman. Could happen but would be surprised. Was a good block but that alone is not going to get you starter reps this season.
Here's the thing I don't understand - why do you think Meeks and Gill have the edge over Hatcher? Hatcher has accomplished more at this level so far than both of those guys. JRS had a better season last year but it sounds like there's been some injury stuff and things and he needs a little more time to lock in.

Compared to the paper. Really close.

Differences. Wr - same six,Hatcher starting over JRS, makes sense because of snaps in camp. OL same except for Joe Cruz over Dave W, guessing because of injury.

Defense - David O and Simmons ahead of KJE and Jobity - that is surprising to me, in particular Jobity. Watson ahead of Nwokocha, younger guy wins, interesting.

Was just throwing names for 2nd safeties but Long and Berry emerge out of pack, good for them.
Watson was one of the late flipsFran picked up in the class. Loved his film, IIRC he hasn’t been playing football for all that long…

Was committed to Kent St but believe us, Pitt, Tennessee, Nebraska, and some other big boys got in the mix at the end and Fran won out

Here's the thing I don't understand - why do you think Meeks and Gill have the edge over Hatcher? Hatcher has accomplished more at this level so far than both of those guys. JRS had a better season last year but it sounds like there's been some injury stuff and things and he needs a little more time to lock in.
Yep to all of that

Our guys from last year had issues even getting off the line. I agree Hatcher should be expected to do more than Gill. But that’s not saying much.

I’m bullish on our top three pass catchers in OG, LQA and Haynes. I think those three are in their own tier.

If you start looking at Pena and Hatcher as second or third tier options, it’s fine.

Hatcher will have to fight to hold that role if he’s indeed WR#3.

I’d expect JRS and a few others will be more reliable by end of year. But it won’t matter if our top three guys in OG, LQA and Haynes aren’t cooking.

Our guys from last year had issues even getting off the line. I agree Hatcher should be expected to do more than Gill. But that’s not saying much.

I’m bullish on our top three pass catchers in OG, LQA and Haynes. I think those three are in their own tier.

If you start looking at Pena and Hatcher as second or third tier options, it’s fine.

I’d expect JRS and a few others will be more reliable by end of year. But it won’t matter if our top three guys in OG, LQA and Haynes aren’t cooking.
When Hatcher was an incoming freshman, a neighbor who was on the staff at the time told me that of the incoming receivers, the coaches were most excited about Umari. And yes. OG was part of that class. Don’t think he ever developed enough upper body strength to realize his potential yet. Of course if he did, he holds on to that fourth quarter reception deep in BC territory, we hold on to win that game and Dino is still head coach today. Maybe we should be commissioning a statue of him!

JRS has been hurt, I bet he starts as soon as he healthy and ready to go

JRS has been hurt, I bet he starts as soon as he healthy and ready to go
I assumed he would be a one-and-done but I wonder now depending on how much he puts together 100% healthy this season.

I assumed he would be a one-and-done but I wonder now depending on how much he puts together 100% healthy this season.
1 and done?

Why, he was the 2nd/3rd guy at Colo St.

McCord disagrees

He's definitely the No. 2 behind Haynes right now. Pena is the third guy and behind that, seems pretty wide open. Not sure what happens when JRS is ready.

JRS has missed too much time to start. Doesn't have the reps with Kyle and most likely needs to get back in shape. Kid is a stud so i do see him getting significant reps just not as a starter.

He's definitely the No. 2 behind Haynes right now. Pena is the third guy and behind that, seems pretty wide open. Not sure what happens when JRS is ready.
I just am surprised about Hatcher. Could not get open in press coverage consistently. During spring he was on the second team. I remember him dropping a pass right in his hands. Maybe he got stronger and improved. If you would have said Bradford and Petry would be starters this year I would have said no way. We will have to see how he is in games. Hopefully plays well. The one thing I feel is that if a players drops balls or makes mistakes they will not be playing long.

I just am surprised about Hatcher. Could not get open in press coverage consistently. During spring he was on the second team. I remember him dropping a pass right in his hands. Maybe he got stronger and improved. If you would have said Bradford and Petry would be starters this year I would have said no way. We will have to see how he is in games. Hopefully plays well. The one thing I feel is that if a players drops balls or makes mistakes they will not be playing long.
I mean, guys get better.

Before we stopped throwing the ball he was on his way to pretty solid first season as a starter.

I'm not saying he didn't have some limitations, but I am saying there was enough there that he achieved a certain level of productivity.

We spent years with people going gaga over Alford. Alford had a few more yards as an older player last season than Hatcher, otherwise they put up the same numbers. And yet we seem to have a bunch of posters that bought in to the idea that Hatcher was going to be replaced instead of grow.

Makes no sense to me.

Agreed. New coaches + new system = clean slate. Last year's performance is irrelevant.

Cruz has the opportunity to compete in practice for PT. Time will tell whether he fits what the new staff wants in OT's. But I am betting that he is going to provide outstanding depth this year, and be positioned to start down the road.

And who knows? Last year, nobody expected Petry to start, before injuries necessitated it. The best thing Cruz can do is continue to work hard, because you never know when that opportunity will come. Guys on the 2-deep are literally one snap away from being thrust into the fire, and having to produce.
This.

We all have seen past teams where a starter is playing injured because the 2nd String guy either isn't physically ready or just not a P4 level player.

Our 2nd string OL looks like a unit that is littered with P4 starter ready guys.

We'll hopefully find out next Saturday with some reserves getting time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom