#3 in Scoring Offense, #1 in Scoring Defense | Syracusefan.com

#3 in Scoring Offense, #1 in Scoring Defense

GoSU96

Living Legend
#3 in total offense, #6 in total defense.

I get the opponents, but that is awesome.

And that’s with running the two’s and three’s out there for four quarters.

#29 in rushing, #6 in passing, #23 in rush d, #13 in pass d.

Yup, we've overpowered who we've played in the way we wanted to see.

Purdue looms large. I'm not sure how good they are, but they are objectively stronger than our two opponents so far.

If the offense shows it can still score in the 30s and the defense can hold a legit P5 in the 20s, watch out.

#3 in total offense, #6 in total defense.

I get the opponents, but that is awesome.

And that’s with running the two’s and three’s out there for four quarters.

#29 in rushing, #6 in passing, #23 in rush d, #13 in pass d.
And on no ones radar. Amazing.

I'm thrilled with the team and start to the season

Worried about not having Gadsen and Mr.W on the OL - but encouraged by everything else. VaTech isn’t good and Purdue had to scrape and pull to a win.

And we're #1 in punts received at 11. Consider that two of our top four receivers are out (Pena and Gadsden), as is our top returner (Pena); and our subs played half of the games, I'm genuinely encouraged. Also, Shrader's only taken one sack. The line's come a long way since Devito.

And we're #1 in punts received at 11. Consider that two of our top four receivers are out (Pena and Gadsden), as is our top returner (Pena); and our subs played half of the games, I'm genuinely encouraged. Also, Shrader's only taken one sack. The line's come a long way since Devito.
Good points. When is Pena back?

D has been playing really good. Some want to make an issue about our first two opponents. I do not care who you play when the D only gives up one score in two games that is playing good D. Also considering for four quarters it was the third and four team D.
There was a break down in the big run but after that they held them to negative yards rushing for the next 59:30 minutes of the game.
If we had the same type of performance in years past people would be doing back flips.
Seems even if they play good next week people will have some excuse and then say we won’t know anything until Clemson. Some will always have complaints.

Couple of other notes. Only two teams are top 10 in Total Offense and Total Defense

SU 3, 6
Clemson 7, 8

Again I get who that was against but it is unprecedented for this program.

Best SU team for combined offense and defense was “97, 11 on offense, 15 on defense.

Through two games there has been only one opponent possession that reached the redzone. UCF and OSU are the other two team to accomplish that, they each gave up a TD.

SU leads the country with 15 redzone possessions. USC and Hawaii also have 15, but that’s in 3 games.

2nd in +10yd plays per game, 2nd in fewest +10 yd plays allowed per game.

D has been playing really good. Some want to make an issue about our first two opponents. I do not care who you play when the D only gives up one score in two games that is playing good D. Also considering for four quarters it was the third and four team D.
There was a break down in the big run but after that they held them to negative yards rushing for the next 59:30 minutes of the game.
If we had the same type of performance in years past people would be doing back flips.
Seems even if they play good next week people will have some excuse and then say we won’t know anything until Clemson. Some will always have complaints.
One word: PTSD.
Oh, wait...

Couple of other notes. Only two teams are top 10 in Total Offense and Total Defense

SU 3, 6
Clemson 7, 8

Again I get who that was against but it is unprecedented for this program.

Best SU team for combined offense and defense was “97, 11 on offense, 15 on defense.

Through two games there has been only one opponent possession that reached the redzone. UCF and OSU are the other two team to accomplish that, they each gave up a TD.

SU leads the country with 15 redzone possessions. USC and Hawaii also have 15, but that’s in 3 games.

2nd in +10yd plays per game, 2nd in fewest +10 yd plays allowed per game.
Amazing stuff

Thanks for sharing

Love it!

Attachments

• top10.jpeg
    top10.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 63
Pena is our best return guy and can stretch the field. Brown is my favorite. He was Maryland state champ in 200 and 400 - he can really fly and has good hands. AND he's a freshman.
Donovan Brown
Placed first in Maryland 4A as a sophomore in the 200 meters (21.83) and 400 meters (48.46). Earned bronze in the 100 meters (10.96). High jumped 6-0 as a sophomore

Didn't remember that track info about Brown. I agree that he is looking really good. i'm impressed. Certainly seems like he deserves to split time with Pena in the slot when Pena returns. I think all WR's look better and have improved from last year. I have a feeling Pena will look better as well. He was getting some good comments from camp.

Donovan Brown
Placed first in Maryland 4A as a sophomore in the 200 meters (21.83) and 400 meters (48.46). Earned bronze in the 100 meters (10.96). High jumped 6-0 as a sophomore

Didn't remember that track info about Brown. I agree that he is looking really good. i'm impressed. Certainly seems like he deserves to split time with Pena in the slot when Pena returns. I think all WR's look better and have improved from last year. I have a feeling Pena will look better as well. He was getting some good comments from camp.
He isn't splitting time in the slot, he is our slot receiver.
We haven't had anyone since Phillips who makes the opponents cover the middle of the field opening up the outside.
Pena has shown nothing as a consistent receiver since he has been here.

Donovan Brown

Remember when the staff recruited Brown, and a segment of the board pointed to him committing here as a sign that the coaching staff was resorting to taking D-list caliber recruits?

Oops.

Kid is going to be a stud. He might already be one.

And now we’re getting attention for scoring high in our first two games; ironically someone was giving me a hard time on here for me wanting CDRW to air it out. National attention is a good thing.

Remember when the staff recruited Brown, and a segment of the board pointed to him committing here as a sign that the coaching staff was resorting to taking D-list caliber recruits?

Oops.

Kid is going to be a stud. He might already be one.

Isaiah Jones to. When he transferred in from El Camino CC he was viewed as a BLister. I think he'd transferred in late just prior to camp.

Isaiah Jones to. When he transferred in from El Camino CC he was viewed as a BLister. I think he'd transferred in late just prior to camp.
Yeah, I was thinking about that. All of Gill, Jones and Brown were kinda under the radar guys.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. All of Gill, Jones and Brown were kinda under the radar guys.
You can't teach size and speed, and they along with Hatcher have it.
If Alford doesn't get it together in the next few games, he will be the 5th receiver.

After this weekend, it will probably be something like #5 in scoring offense, #2 in scoring defense, #1 in your hearts.

You can't teach size and speed, and they along with Hatcher have it.
If Alford doesn't get it together in the next few games, he will be the 5th receiver.
i think this week we may find out more about our WR blocking plans though.. More WR bubbles, and more edge running.

He isn't splitting time in the slot, he is our slot receiver.
We haven't had anyone since Phillips who makes the opponents cover the middle of the field opening up the outside.
Pena has shown nothing as a consistent receiver since he has been here.
I don’t disagree necessarily but I doubt the staff doesn’t give Peña an opportunity to prove what he can do this year as well.

But I do feel like Brown is going to be slightly more productive. To me he does seem like he has more natural receiving skills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom