#3 in Scoring Offense, #1 in Scoring Defense | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

#3 in Scoring Offense, #1 in Scoring Defense

I kind of wished that Shrader didn't waste it at the end of the game. It brought a lot of attention to it and you know future opponents will be watching it closely.
Which means other things open up. That’s part of the beauty. The defense has to hesitate to account for it.

And notice he went left and right.

And they haven’t shown the play action post or rollouts off of that.

It’s a great tool to have.

Which means other things open up. That’s part of the beauty. The defense has to hesitate to account for it.

And notice he went left and right.

And they haven’t shown the play action post or rollouts off of that.

It’s a great tool to have.
Good points and I agree with all. I think we might also see defenders hitting/tackling Shrader more often on those play fakes even when he doesn't have the ball. In the end though, it will likely keep the ends from crashing down.

Purdue was selling out to stop the inside power game and Beck burned them. Army will play with more discipline. In turn, I think we will see more inside power runs vs Army. The play of the interior OL will be key, especially early.

I kind of wished that Shrader didn't waste it at the end of the game. It brought a lot of attention to it and you know future opponents will be watching it closely.

True but you know what happens if you watch too closely you get locked in position. SU's 2023 version of the freeze option.

Good points and I agree with all. I think we might also see defenders hitting/tackling Shrader more often on those play fakes even when he doesn't have the ball. In the end though, it will likely keep the ends from crashing down.

Purdue was selling out to stop the inside power game and Beck burned them. Army will play with more discipline. In turn, I think we will see more inside power runs vs Army. The play of the interior OL will be key, especially early.

Shrader also toyed with Purdue a few times after he handed it off to make it look like he had it

Multiple times the DEs went to go after him

This amazing fake will open a lot because they can be prepared for it but seeing the ball and knowing where it is, can’t be done on film and can only be done in the moment

Shrader also toyed with Purdue a few times after he handed it off to make it look like he had it

This amazing fake will open a lot because they can be prepared for it but seeing the ball and knowing where it is, can’t be done on film and can only be done in the moment

The next thing we’re going to see is a fake or a fake, fake lol but it’s going to freeze the D for a second and open up a big passing play downfield.

The next thing we’re going to see is a fake or a fake, fake lol but it’s going to freeze the D for a second and open up a big passing play downfield.
Yup, it’s also important to note how well the rest of the team sold the fake too

BREAK OUT THE FREEZE OPTION!!!! Lol
The way teams are going to have to key on GS, I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw some facsimile of the old Deleone favorite.

One thing they've to be careful with is holding it too long and the refs, not realizing it's a fake, blow the whistle when Allen gets tackled or his forward progress stopped. Allen has to keep the pistons moving.

Garrett Shrader might be a 'Big Eddie LeBaron"

Last edited:
One thing they've to be careful with is holding it too long and the refs, not realizing it's a fake, blow the whistle when Allen gets tackled or his forward progress stopped. Allen has to keep the pistons moving.
I have never seen that happen, could you imagine GS is in the process of strolling in to the end zone and the refs blow the play dead. That would be something.

Going back to Wake last year, 6 straight games of 443 yds or more in total offense. 5 of those 6, 32 or more pts.

Longest streak since last 7 games of 2012. Scored 31 or more in 6 of those games.

what’s weird is there feels like there is headroom with the offense, they haven’t peaked.
we got 35 vs purdue and really had almost no big plays.. the late TD run was about it..

Even he agrees with me. Nothing like a free run

Shrader’s ability to pull the ball should have linebackers hesitating throughout the season, although he bemoaned the idea he might not be able to make it look quite so easy next time.
“There’s no surprise now,” Shrader said. “It’s on film. It’s just a matter of whether it’s open or not.”
What went into Shrader’s two dazzling fakes? A little Rodgers and a little magic

just cant just hit the QB though, if he doesnt have the ball its gonna be a late hit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom