3 seed | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

3 seed

If we beat Gtown Sat we would also have road wins at Gtown and Louisville which are huge. Throw in winning 2 in the BET and another shot at Gtown or Louisville in the semis would seal the 3 deal.

Where we differ is that I think SU would need to win that 3rd matchup with either Lville or Gtown. Just beating let's say RU and then Marquette is not all that impressive.

Where we differ is that I think SU would need to win that 3rd matchup with either Lville or Gtown. Just beating let's say RU and then Marquette is not all that impressive.

Right which is what I think needs to happen. Also all depends on other teams as well.

Three big things working against us. 1) OOC is pretty soft. Committee has placed inordinate emphasis on this recently. 2) Trend is not our friend given the recent slide. That said it could be reversed in the BET but I think we need to get to the BET finals plus beat Gtown on Saturday. 3) as of right now we have three rpi top 50 wins. Kinda skimpy imo for a #3 seed.
I count 4, SDSU, LVille, Cincy, and ND

we are 10-7 against top 100, 13-0 outside top 100

That team beat Kansas and Memphis on the road.

Wasn't the KU game at Carrier Dome South? In any event I agree with your point. The 2008/2009 team had a better resume unless we go on a rampage from here.

According to that Wenzel we're a 3 now. LOTS of work still to do for that to happen. Hoping for a little win streak comin.

there will be at least one 1-seed with 5 losses

People overlook that Spartans were a #1 seed with 7 losses... last year.

I count 4, SDSU, LVille, Cincy, and ND

we are 10-7 against top 100, 13-0 outside top 100

I recently looked at an rpi ranking and they had cinci at 51. That is the discrepancy.

According to that Wenzel we're a 3 now. LOTS of work still to do for that to happen. Hoping for a little win streak comin.

I don't trust the assessment of any TV analyst.

i thought the kansas win was in kansas city (called neutral site game though) in cba classic

I recently looked at an rpi ranking and they had cinci at 51. That is the discrepancy.
yea it changes everyday so no big deal

our worst losses are Nova and Temple, and with Nova's win tonight, all 7 of our losses could be to top 50 RPI teams

Wins (RPI 1-50)
RPI DATE OPPONENT SCORE
33 Nov. 11 San Diego State* 62-49
4 Jan. 19 @ Louisville 70-68
47 Jan. 21 Cincinnati 57-55
43 Feb. 4 Notre Dame 63-47

Wins (RPI 51-100)
RPI DATE OPPONENT SCORE
79 Nov. 30 @ Arkansas 91-82
58 Dec. 17 Detroit 72-68
77 Jan. 9 @ Providence 72-66
55 Jan. 12 Villanova 72-61
70 Feb. 10 St. John's 77-58
77 Feb. 20 Providence 84-59

Here is another way to look at those #s. In the last nearly four months we have one win over an rpi top 40 team. That is not getting anybody a 3 seed.

People overlook that Spartans were a #1 seed with 7 losses... last year.
In fairness, their losses included:

(then) #1 North Carolina - neutral
(then) #6 Duke - neutral
at Northwestern (ok, that's bad)
at (then) #19 Michigan
at Illinois (also not great)
at (then) #18 Indiana
(then) #10 Ohio State

Five of those losses were against teams ranked in the top 20, two of which were on the road and two were neutral. But I see your point.

Here is another way to look at those #s. In the last nearly four months we have one win over an rpi top 40 team. That is not getting anybody a 3 seed.
well I think everyone saying we can get a 3 seed is also saying we would win two top 40 games (Gtown and Pitt in BET)

well I think everyone saying we can get a 3 seed is also saying we would win two top 40 games (Gtown and Pitt in BET)

Yeah I just don't think that is enough to get a 3 but we shall see. That's just not enough quality wins. Weak OOC, two quality road wins are too much to overcome unless they get to the BET finals.

Yeah I just don't think that is enough to get a 3 but we shall see. That's just not enough quality wins. Weak OOC, two quality road wins are too much to overcome unless they get to the BET finals.
12 wins against the top 100 isn't enough? zero bad losses

we have 10 right now, for reference:

marquette 10
OSU 7
Zona 10
Michigan 10
Gtown 11 (if we win Saturday both 11)
MSU 8
IU 10
KSU 7
Zags 11 (no more games)

12 wins against the top 100 isn't enough? zero bad losses

The thing that folks are missing is this- nine of our 12 OOC wins are against teams with RPIs outside of the top 100. That is really weak. The Committee has been putting the wood to people that play weak OOC schedules. But forget that- tell me how SU jumps over any of these 12 teams to get a 3 seed without at least getting to the BET finals? IU, MSU, UM, OSU, KU, GONZ, Gtown, Lville, UNM, FLA, Duke and Miami.

The thing that folks are missing is this- nine of our 12 OOC wins are against teams with RPIs outside of the top 100. That is really weak. The Committee has been putting the wood to people that play weak OOC schedules. But forget that- tell me how SU jumps over any of these 12 teams to get a 3 seed without at least getting to the BET finals? IU, MSU, UM, OSU, KU, GONZ, Gtown, Lville, UNM, FLA, Duke and Miami.
see above

This is how forum will run in the next week:

Beat Depaul = 3 seed threads begin

Beat Georgetown = 1 seed threads begin

Win in first round of BET = Final four threads begin

Lose to Georgetown = 7 seed threads begin

Lose in first round of BET = Boeheim being fired threads

plus we only have to beat one of these teams and we match up very favorably against OSU who only beat one top 100 team OOC

plus we only have to beat one of these teams and we match up very favorably against OSU who only beat one top 100 team OOC

By OSU I assume you mean Ohio State. Unfortunately they have played 13 games against teams in the rpi top 40. We're not even in the same area code as that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom