3 seed | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

3 seed

The thing that folks are missing is this- nine of our 12 OOC wins are against teams with RPIs outside of the top 100. That is really weak. The Committee has been putting the wood to people that play weak OOC schedules. But forget that- tell me how SU jumps over any of these 12 teams to get a 3 seed without at least getting to the BET finals? IU, MSU, UM, OSU, KU, GONZ, Gtown, Lville, UNM, FLA, Duke and Miami.

Gtown win on Saturday is only way to 3 seed IMO.

Must. Beat. Georgetown.

I'm not so sure the difference between a 3 seed and a 4 seed is as important as beating Georgetown. If we beat Georgetown it will help the psyche of the team and would represent a turning point, a line separating the team which has struggled recently and the team that has regained it's swag. I think that a win vs. the Hoyas will go a long way in taking care of other matters such as what seed we get.

I think this is as spot on as it gets. I agree 100% with all 4 scenarios.

It only hold true however with a win first over Georgetown. That has to be included in the 3-4-5 win thing. Without it that wont hold true.

^^^This. Only shot at a 3 starts with a win Saturday.
I agree with the exception of running to the BET Final. That would potentially give us 9 losses so that probably still wouldn't be enough. Seems like there will be a lot of teams with 6/7/8 losses and our computer numbers are quite good. At least I think the 6 seed is out of the equation. Honestly, the 4/5 is a toss up anyways ... would just like to avoid the dreaded 5/12 first round game.

It only hold true however with a win first over Georgetown. That has to be included in the 3-4-5 win thing. Without it that wont hold true.
I'm not so sure we need the win sat. for garbs post to work. Tell me where I'm wrong

Pretty sure a 3 seed would be a stretch - we simply are nothing special - we have 2 guards - one who doesn't know he is good and one who is weak, slow and totally overrated - I'm not even gonna comment on Cooney because he's a walk on to me - we are weak at PF/C too - we are a good defensive team WHEN all the players make the effort

Pretty sure a 3 seed would be a stretch - we simply are nothing special - we have 2 guards - one who doesn't know he is good and one who is weak, slow and totally overrated - I'm not even gonna comment on Cooney because he's a walk on to me - we are weak at PF/C too - we are a good defensive team WHEN all the players make the effort
nobody is anything special this year.

3 Seed is absolutely on the table.

Right now, I'd guess we're 14 or 15 on the S curve making us a solid 4 seed, moving up 2 to 3 spots on the s curve is not out of the question, especially if we pick up 2 more top 50 or top 25 RPI wins (Gtown, Marq, or Pitt) in the BET.

Palm has us as the first 4 seed so we are right on the edge of getting back to the 3 line

I think this is as spot on as it gets. I agree 100% with all 4 scenarios.

I disagree with all of those scenarios.

SU could win the BET on saturday and beat the Knicks on Selection Sunday at MSG and we're not getting a 2 seed. You guys are placing WAY too much emphasis on the BET. How does a team that may not even get a first round bye in its conference tournament shoot up to a #2 seed in the NCAAs? Which four of these 11 teams does SU jump over to get a #2 seed? Gonz, Duke, Miami, FLA, IU, UM, MSU, KU, OSU, Lville and Gtown.

And if SU loses its next two then we won't be a five seed either. Those scenarios are inflated by at least one seed across the board.

SU could win the BET on saturday and beat the Knicks on Selection Sunday at MSG and we're not getting a 2 seed. You guys are placing WAY too much emphasis on the BET. How does a team that may not even get a first round bye in its conference tournament shoot up to a #2 seed in the NCAAs? Which four of these 11 teams does SU jump over to get a #2 seed? Gonz, Duke, Miami, FLA, IU, UM, MSU, KU, OSU, Lville and Gtown.

And if SU loses its next two then we won't be a five seed either. Those scenarios are inflated by at least one seed across the board.

This should be fun:) to see how it plays out, because I disagree with everything you just wrote.

Miami, who is falling apart.

Louisville and Gtown, who'd we'd likely have to beat to win the BET, giving season series wins over 1 or both.

2 out of UM, MSU, IU, and OSU will not reach the B1G tourney final. UM has been scuffling lately, and MSU has also taken on 3 straight losses.

That's 5 teams that we could pass if we won the BET. A case could be made for passing Florida or KU as well.

I'm not so sure we need the win sat. for garbs post to work. Tell me where I'm wrong

Where you are wrong is in thinking that the last three weeks of the regular season are wiped away by a good four days at MSG. Once again, it just doesn't work that way.

Louisville and Gtown, who'd we'd likely have to beat to win the BET, giving season series wins over 1 or both.

2 out of UM, MSU, IU, and OSU will not reach the B1G tourney final. UM has been scuffling lately, and MSU has also taken on 3 straight losses.

That's 5 teams that we could pass if we won the BET. A case could be made for passing Florida or KU as well.

Yikes. It's time to take the orange colored glasses off and move slowly away from the keyboard.

Your logic is essentially forget what you've witnessed over the last couple of months and place the entire emphasis on what happens in the conference tournaments.

Where you are wrong is in thinking that the last three weeks of the regular season are wiped away by a good four days at MSG. Once again, it just doesn't work that way.
Sometimes it does.

SU went from bubble to 4 or 5 seed a few years back. UConn went from bubble to 3 seed a couple years ago.

Conference tournament runs are wayyyyyyyyy overvalued by the committee. Happens every year for some lucky team out there.

Yikes. It's time to take the orange colored glasses off and move slowly away from the keyboard.

Your logic is essentially forget what you've witnessed over the last couple of months and place the entire emphasis on what happens in the conference tournaments.
You can count on 2 things on a fan message board.

The most negative views of that teams prospects and the most overly optimistic views.

Do I think we will get a 2, no. Do I think it's possible? History shows it is absolutely possible.

I'm not wearing any glasses, I'm just looking at what's happened before.

Miami falling apart? LOL, they've won 15 of their last 17 with one of the losses a tight one at Duke.

We would pass Gtown just because we did well in the BET? Not a chance.

You can count on 2 things on a fan message board.

The most negative views of that teams prospects and the most overly optimistic views.

Do I think we will get a 2, no. Do I think it's possible? History shows it is absolutely possible.

I'm not wearing any glasses, I'm just looking at what's happened before.

I have no clue how SU will do in the next week or so although I'd be surprised if they won the BET. But much stranger things have happened in the past. As for the seeding I am trying to be objective. I just don't think you can play the way SU has played for the last 3-4 weeks and then have it all absolved by winning a conference tournament, particularly in a conference that is not anything special this year.

Miami falling apart? LOL, they've won 15 of their last 17 with one of the losses a tight one at Duke.

We would pass Gtown just because we did well in the BET? Not a chance.
Regarding Miami- lies, damn lies, and statistics.

They have won 15 of 17? Aside from being not true, it's also misleading. They've lost 3 of 4, kind of an important point. 1 of those losses was at the 168th ranked RPI team. 1 of those losses was at home to the 119th ranked RPI team. Miami is falling apart.

We would pass Gtown if we beat them on Saturday and won the BET tourney, especially if it included a win over Gtown in NY.

Not saying we will get a 2, just saying history clearly makes a case that it's possible.

We do because its another road win against a top 5 team which will do more than beating them in the semi's of the BET. Saturday is a must win otherwise we need to win the BET

Regarding Miami- lies, damn lies, and statistics.

They have won 15 of 17? Aside from being not true, it's also misleading. They've lost 3 of 4, kind of an important point. 1 of those losses was at the 168th ranked RPI team. 1 of those losses was at home to the 119th ranked RPI team. Miami is falling apart.

We would pass Gtown if we beat them on Saturday and won the BET tourney, especially if it included a win over Gtown in NY.

Not saying we will get a 2, just saying history clearly makes a case that it's possible.

I think you've got your facts confused. Miami has 15 of their last 17. SU is the team that has lost three of their last four. And you're right that is kind of an important point.

I think you've got your facts confused. Miami has 15 of their last 17. SU is the team that has lost three of their last four. And you're right that is kind of an important point.
I think it's impossible to win 15 of 17, while also losing 3 of 4. But math does have strange rules when you dig deep enough.

I can't tell if you're messing with me, or just mistaken.

Either way, I think we've gone far enough on this one.

Arizona is living on its two wins against Florida by 1 at home and Miami in Hawaii without Johnson.The Wildcats don't belong ahead of SU on the S-Curve barring winning the Pac-12 tournament. In fact UCLA is probably a contender to sneak into that 4 seed range.

I can go both ways on the conference tournaments; it's easy to say it's only one weekend (you know, cause it is) but it's also 4 games packed into a weekend, so it's essentially the equivalent of 2 weeks during the season.

If we ran the table (which I don't see happening), we'd win @Gtown, then say Rutgers, then Pitt at a neutral site, and 2 of the between Marquette, Gtown, and Lville. We'd basically add 3 more RPI top 25 wins and an additional top 40 win. (Pitt is 38 right now, it could fall out). I thinlk that puts you in the conversation for a 2 seed, though it might be tough.

For example, if we beat Gtown on Sat, they're going to finish 1 game ahead of us in the standings. If we then win the BET, especially if it includes beating Gtown on the way, it's not exactly ridiculous for us to be seeded ahead of them, is it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom